U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 48,747 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and my three children and myself will be moving to Tullahoma Tennessee in July of 2007. I have looked up a lot of information on the internet about Tullahoma and can not fine a reason to not move there. We are tired of the over crowding and rudeness of people out here in california. We are looking for a slower paced life and being around folks that are nice not rude. We want our kids to grow up in a good safe place and we think Tullahoma may be that place. I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. Feedback from schools, to crime, to shopping, the jobs. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 AM

9,086 posts, read 21,718,783 times
Tullahoma is a nice little town with excellent schools. There's decent shopping in Tullahoma--it's probably the smallest town in America with a Dillard's. The biggest employer is the Air Force research center (AEDC - Arnold Engineering Development Center) so the town is full of researchers and scientists. It's half-way between Nashville and Chattanooga, so you're not too far from a big city if you need it.

If a slower pace of life and good schools are what you're looking for, I think you'll find it in Tullahoma. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 PM

66 posts, read 185,167 times
hi there carinkimes!
I live in CA right now and just visited Tullahoma last weekend.I was hoping for a bit of snow, but no such luck. We are leaving CA to move to Tullahoma for much the same reasons as you. We bought a house there in a sub called Brookfield Estates.
According to the realtor and a couple people in town ,the internet information and the building, the school(high school) is fine.I don't know anything about elementary schools but here's another link to add to your list that can at least help with the academics http://www.k-12.state.tn.us/rptcrd06/ (broken link)
Compared to here in CA, the crime is practically nonexistant. Our realtor only locks her doors(house &car)at bedtime.When we were in a store, a lady set her purse down and chased after her child!Only left it a minute,but I wouldn't do that here.
When it comes to shopping, be prepared for a bit of a shock. The one mall is TINY. There are several other stores,of course. A nice SuperWalMart, Lowe's,Blockbuster Video, and some restaurants-Ruby Tuesday,Applebee's, Red Lobster.Also names I didn't recognize-local ones I'm sure. There's alot of fast food-KFC,McD's,Taco Bell,Hardees,Sonic.
There are quiet a number of eye doctors,dentists,physicians in general.
The housing is not the same as here. Although the new stuff is very much like here.For the most part, there's a lot of brick.Usually big lots, little fencing, a lot of places don't have garages. In the heart of town, your neighbors are all fairly close proximity. Even just a mile makes a big difference in that. The place we got is 3 miles from the main strip.
We didn't look into jobs there. My husband wiil work in a town nearby called Shelbyville.
Plenty of churches.
I hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have more questions. Hey,maybe we'll be neighbors!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:15 PM

66 posts, read 185,167 times
Oh,one more thing,the people are sooo nice there. At breakfast one moring the waitress OFFERED to remake the eggs because they "look a little dry"!
Blew me away!
Everyone there was friendly.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,889 times
Default Moving from California to Tennessee

Get a home with a basement so you have a place to hind when the tornadoes come through.
Be careful to make sure the home you are buying didn't used to be a meth lab.
Check out www.tnanytime.org (broken link) for helpful tidbits living in TN.
Buy something in the best school district in the county you are in or you will never be able to sell at a profit.
Make sure you have good auto insurance when you come down here because most other people don't have any.
People who say y'all aren't really from TN. Only the ones that say all y'all.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 17,947,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carinkimes View Post
Hi, my husband and my three children and myself will be moving to Tullahoma Tennessee in July of 2007. I have looked up a lot of information on the internet about Tullahoma and can not fine a reason to not move there. We are tired of the over crowding and rudeness of people out here in california. We are looking for a slower paced life and being around folks that are nice not rude. We want our kids to grow up in a good safe place and we think Tullahoma may be that place. I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. Feedback from schools, to crime, to shopping, the jobs. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You are going to move to a place you've never visited?

Old 12-14-2006, 02:23 AM

Yes we are. I know it sounds kind of crazy but everything I have seen on the interent and any feedback I have recieved so far are all good things about Tullahoma. They have an excellent school system, I can transfer my job and stay with the company I am working for now, the cost of living is cheaper and the housing prices are way cheaper than here in California. My husband will be visiting a couple of months just before we move to get some things taken care of. I have yet to hear or see anything that would deter me from moving there. California is not where I want to raise my kids. I want the laid back, southern life style. I just pray everything will work out.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 AM

3,853 posts, read 6,976,392 times
Default Jump in!

We moved from Northern CA to Franklin. My husband never saw the house we bought until the day we moved into it. We had no jobs, and our house in CA hadn't even sold yet. We figured, what's the worse that can happen- we don't like it and we move back, right?

Sometimes a little adventure is good for the soul.

Let us know how it all goes for you.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 PM

22 posts, read 86,562 times
I live in Tullahoma and we have a population of just over 20,000. We are a regional retail hub with an abundance of shopping and restraunts. We have the only enclosed mall in the regional anchored by Dillards, J.C. Pennies, Goodies, and Big-lots with plans for a TGI Friday's in the Foodcourt area. Tullahoma has one of the best city schools systems in the state and is nationally honored. We have great recreation with 7 city park, 2 Community Centers, indoor and outdoor pools, and Short Spring State Natural area which has a nature trail along the springs and a world of beautiful flowers and plants. We have a medium size quaint Downtown which is undergoing revitilization and new development over the next year. We are protect by a wonderful Police department of 50 officers and a Fire department with a staff of 32 and operates out of 2 stations. We have 7 tornado warning sirens which cover the majority of the town and gives you peace of mind to know that if you are outside you will know when a dangerous storm is approaching. We are home to AEDC the world largest wind tunnel testing facillity. Tullahoma has something for all so come and join us!!!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM

Tyler, thank you so much for the message. It is so wonderful to hear that the school system is so good there. My children are in elementary school here and the classrooms are so over populated that they are not getting that one on one attention that they need. I cannot wait to move to Tennessee. Everyone their that has posted messages seems so inviting and so ncie. It will be a new experience for us since we are used to the not so kind people here in sacramento. It has always been my dream to live the " southern " lifestyle. A nice house, a little bit of land, and a slow paced, happy and enjoyable life. I really think we will find that in Tullahoma. Thank you again for you nice message. I truly appreciate the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee