Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 75,023 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Greeneville area next summer. As lifetime central California residence snow and icy roads have not been a major concern. Can someone there answer these questions for us?
•Can the country roads become impassable at time during the winter?
•Are ice storms a problem there?
•From reading the Greeneville Sun, we have learned that there is a coal fund established to help the elderly. What is the average cost of heating a home there?
•Is coal the most common way of heating your home there for all homes, no matter what the age?
•Or is it used more for older homes?
•What is the average life of a heat pump and can you get by without it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I can't answer all those, but let's see if I can get a few:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Long View Post
At some points the county roads get very bad in Greene County. It is the second biggest county in the state, land wise. However, they are generally not bad. The city is usually pretty good about taking care of the main roads.

Quote:
Not usually, although there was a few when I lived there.

Quote:
•Is coal the most common way of heating your home there for all homes, no matter what the age?
When I grew up in Greeneville, coal was most certainly NOT the most common way. We had gas and our house was built during the 70's.

Where do you plan on living in Greeneville?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:45 PM

122 posts, read 179,157 times
I grew up in Greene County and we rarely received "ice storms". Had a few hard snows and some roads in the rural areas became impassable at times especially the ones in the south eastern part of the county. (near NC) Most homes are modern with either gas or electric heat. It is called the "Coal Fund" because when it was established that is what most homes were heated with. Either Coal or firewood. The name has just stuck through the years. It is just an assistance program set up to help not only the elderly, but anyone that needs help paying their heating bill during the winter, whether it be gas, electric, or using wood or coal (they actually furnish donated wood and coal). And yes you can get by without a heat pump. There are other sources of heat available and also air conditioning. I lived in a house that had propane heaters and no air conditioning. We kept our windows open in the summer and used fans when necessary to cool the house.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 14,808 times
Default Here's what I know....

Quote:
We are moving to the Greeneville area next summer. As lifetime central California residence snow and icy roads have not been a major concern. Can someone there answer these questions for us?
•From reading the Greeneville Sun, we have learned that there is a coal fund established to help the elderly. What is the average cost of heating a home there?
1) The roads can get bad, but if you are experienced at driving in snow and don't live on a steep grade, you will have no problem getting around.
2)Ice storms do not occur often, but when they do stay off the road!!
3)Heating a 2,000 sq/ft home with a heat pump runs my electric bill to $185.00 in Feb.
4)Very few people use coal all though my father still burns wood as his primary source of heat!
5)A heatpump will last 10 to 25 years depending on who installed, if it was taken care of.... As far as doing without. It depends on the type of home and how long the sun stays on it. It gets very muggy here in the summer.

I hope this helps...

Jon

Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 AM

20 posts, read 75,023 times
Thank you all very much for the information. Now can someone tell me of a good coffee shop where I can meet with new friends, brag on how great we were in sports 40 years ago and bad mouth Jeff Gordon.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I think Greene County in fact does an above average job of clearing the roads after a snow. I remember one winter doing a white knuckle drive up from Atlanta during bad weather and it was particularly bad the farther north I got. On I-81 the county south of Greene (Blount county?) the roads were terrible - trucks in ditches, white snow packed highway, etc. At the literal county line of Greene county the roads were plowed and ice free although it was still snowing. I mean, literally, you could mark were the Greene county road maintanance began and the road showed pavement again.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
Quote:
I am butting my nose in because I was searching Greenville and found this site. I am not the expert on Tenn. but have lived in the south about 10 years.

If you don't have snow, you have ice which is worse. I am also attempting to respond to several folks (from Fla. and NY) on this city and racism. I have met many nice folks here. But I go over board to try to blend in, not offend, attend their church some, etc. I used to live in a county in Ga. only to later find out that the neighboring county (7 miles away) was the head of the KKK. The south is being populated more by "outsiders" and some folks are trying to be open minded, but it is a struggle for them and for the rest of us who find ourselves on the end of their prejudices. Hope this gets to whoever was asking (Joe and mother somebody). I'm new at this and not anxious to spend a lot of time to learn..

Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
We just moved up from Florida and our homebuilder is a white native born Tennessean. His work crew is almost entirely Mexican and the man treats them like family. Since I've been here, I haven't encountered a hint of racism. The population is mostly white, but everyone seems to get along very well. We live in Telford which close to Jonesborough and not far from Greeneville. I think you will love this area.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
To me, many parts of Tennessee (Johnson City, Knoxville MSA, of course the other big 3) are very indicative of "America" - everyone getting along no matter race. Up here I have friends who are "American," but also Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Indian (Asian subcontinent), etc. etc. etc.

I know we are definitely nothing like bigger, more multicultural parts of North America, but for smalltown South of the US I think we're doing pretty good.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 PM

48 posts, read 128,955 times
Smile Thanks for the information on racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
To me, many parts of Tennessee (Johnson City, Knoxville MSA, of course the other big 3) are very indicative of "America" - everyone getting along no matter race. Up here I have friends who are "American," but also Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Indian (Asian subcontinent), etc. etc. etc.

I know we are definitely nothing like bigger, more multicultural parts of North America, but for smalltown South of the US I think we're doing pretty good.
Thanks for this bit on racism... My wife is Thai and we are moving from Florida to Greene County when I retire in a few years...I was worried about that and actually thought that if we encountered racism when we moved there we would sell the place and move some place else....

Thanks for relieving my worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee