Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 PM

195 posts, read 333,674 times

Advertisements

I live in Idaho, and I want to move to where trees are in greater abundance. I figured Missouri would be a good place. It has a low cost of living and lots of trees. Then I noticed that I can go into the SE corner of Missouri and dip into the Western Tennessee. I have now changed my tune. May as well pick a state with no income tax. I am self-employed, and can work from anywhere that has an Internet connection. I am 57 years old, and don't have family. I don't want to live in a big city, though. I am most comfortable in a safe, small city. A place that is clean, and where people are happy. I also need a Walmart. The two small or medium sized towns in Western Tennessee that have a Walmart are Dyersburg and Jackson. (I don't want to live in a suburb of a big city). Any thoughts on these towns, or this general area is greatly appreciated. I will be moving before Christmas. I will initially fly in and rent a car and then begin my search for a rental. Then once I secure a rental, I will come back and move myself and my 3 cats. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 06:29 AM

320 posts, read 540,797 times
Any reason you have focused on West Tennessee? It's much less tree covered and flatter than Middle and East TN. There are many small cities that would fit your needs throughout the state.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:34 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I live in Idaho, and I want to move to where trees are in greater abundance. I figured Missouri would be a good place. It has a low cost of living and lots of trees. Then I noticed that I can go into the SE corner of Missouri and dip into the Western Tennessee. I have now changed my tune. May as well pick a state with no income tax. I am self-employed, and can work from anywhere that has an Internet connection. I am 57 years old, and don't have family. I don't want to live in a big city, though. I am most comfortable in a safe, small city. A place that is clean, and where people are happy. I also need a Walmart. The two small or medium sized towns in Western Tennessee that have a Walmart are Dyersburg and Jackson. (I don't want to live in a suburb of a big city). Any thoughts on these towns, or this general area is greatly appreciated. I will be moving before Christmas. I will initially fly in and rent a car and then begin my search for a rental. Then once I secure a rental, I will come back and move myself and my 3 cats. Thank you.
Jackson has a high crime rate, but it is only certain parts of the city that are rough. I have less experience with Dyersburg so I am not sure about it.

If you want more trees in West Tennessee, you probably need to look into the eastern half of West Tennessee. Are Paris, Lexington, or Savannah too small for you?

As far as taxes go, depending on how many things you buy will change the tax burden between Missouri & Tennessee. I grew up in MO and live in TN now, and I feel that I am better off here because I don't buy a lot of stuff. The sales tax is higher in TN than MO, and that includes groceries. Plus, land is more affordable here in the eastern half of West Tennessee. (The western half is heavily agricultural, meaning higher land prices)

Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
You should know that most rural areas in Tennessee have really slow internet connections. An exception is the rural area surrounding Cookeville which has gigabit internet service via the local phone company. You've got Walmarts in Carthage, Lafayette, and two in Cookeville (plus Sam's Club). It's heavily forested and filled with very happy people. It's also a beautiful region.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-04-2018, 03:17 PM

249 posts, read 659,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You should know that most rural areas in Tennessee have really slow internet connections. An exception is the rural area surrounding Cookeville which has gigabit internet service via the local phone company. You've got Walmarts in Carthage, Lafayette, and two in Cookeville (plus Sam's Club). It's heavily forested and filled with very happy people. It's also a beautiful region.
Rural areas around Chattanooga also have gigabit fiber service.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Jackson has a high crime rate, but it is only certain parts of the city that are rough. I have less experience with Dyersburg so I am not sure about it.

If you want more trees in West Tennessee, you probably need to look into the eastern half of West Tennessee. Are Paris, Lexington, or Savannah too small for you?

As far as taxes go, depending on how many things you buy will change the tax burden between Missouri & Tennessee. I grew up in MO and live in TN now, and I feel that I am better off here because I don't buy a lot of stuff. The sales tax is higher in TN than MO, and that includes groceries. Plus, land is more affordable here in the eastern half of West Tennessee. (The western half is heavily agricultural, meaning higher land prices)

Hi it's a little confusing that you divide Western Tennessee into Eastern and Western halfs. Is that what everyone in Tennessee does? I am very much like you in that I don't buy much stuff. I am a terrible consumer. I definitely do not need to be inundated in trees. I don't know if I mentioned it in my post, but I am from Northern Illinois. It was a nice mix of farmlands and trees. The trees were using found in small numerous patches. Thank you for you reply.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Happy people is strangely so important to me, especially moving to a new place. It's scary moving to a new place where people seem unhappy. I did not know about the slow Internet connection in rural TN. I day-trade for a living. It does not require anything special whereas speed is concerned. I don't even know what my Internet speed is, currently. But surely a slower Internet service might be problematic. Thank you for ideas of nice towns.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Any reason you have focused on West Tennessee? It's much less tree covered and flatter than Middle and East TN. There are many small cities that would fit your needs throughout the state.

The only reason I focused, initially, on West Tennessee is because I am relocating with five cats. 2 of them are mine, the other 3 are strays whom I have been caring for since they were kittens. (the strays will be outside cats, all the way). As far as the map goes, it is a relatively easy drive from Idaho to the Eastern side of Missouri so that's kind of as far as I wanted to go. But then I thought I could go just a little bit further and dip down into TN. I am obviously not interested in Illinois. But from what little information I have gathered so far, I might need to go a little bit further into Tennessee beyond Dyersburg or Jackson to find a suitable town.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:04 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Hi it's a little confusing that you divide Western Tennessee into Eastern and Western halfs. Is that what everyone in Tennessee does? I am very much like you in that I don't buy much stuff. I am a terrible consumer. I definitely do not need to be inundated in trees. I don't know if I mentioned it in my post, but I am from Northern Illinois. It was a nice mix of farmlands and trees. The trees were using found in small numerous patches. Thank you for you reply.
The reason I divide it is because the eastern part of West Tennessee is more hilly terrain and more forest cover. The western half is more agricultural with large fields and flatter terrain. I would think that there are more trees than Northern IL even in far West Tennessee. I'm not sure how widespread broadband Internet is in the rural areas, but I know it is better than where I grew up.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM

377 posts, read 470,070 times
Check out Loudon County (Loudon and Lenoir). It is a community of older professionals who are investing heavily in their community to protect its beauty as it attracts business/commerce. There are many peaceful communities (some near water), yet the location is central with Knoxville, Maryville, and other cities a short drive away. Oh, and Walmart is there also 911 US-321, Lenoir City, TN 37771

Oh, and fiber wire (high speed) internet is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee