Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,648 times

Advertisements

Yes I am taking the stove and the stove pipe as well. We will be using it in the new place. I also have stipulated I will be taking the wood flooring that is NOT installed in the home, which is about 4 truckloads of it, some still in the boxes. I have about half of my current home covered in the wood flooring and will leave that there. I will only take the other that is in the garage.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM

40 posts, read 206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
We found a place with over five acres. We will both have to give in a little on certain parts of our dreams but not enough to make either of us unhappy. The home is absolutely beautiful and the only one of the day that my daughter thought was perfect as is and she wanted to change NOTHING about it. It has a 3 car carport beside the house that we intend to turn into a pavilion for family functions and such. On the other side of that is a concrete block two car garage that was never used as a garage, only for storage. The house has city water, but the garage has a well house connected to it. It has windows and electricity and is wired for lighting and such. It is the same size as our current home and can easily be turned into a house for me and Chris with very little money. We would keep the electric and use it only when desired. We plan to build a large deck on the back which will overlook 3 acres of woods.
What a coincidence this is one of the homes we have been checking out on line thru our realtor in Knoxville. I had my BGF and her DH from Riceville drive out to take a look and they were very impressed.
We are still looking cause we need to sell this farm here in WI before we make the grand re-location. Good Luck FB in your quest to find the perfect place for you and Chris. You will know when you see it as it will 'speak to you'.
Whatever you do do not settle for something not quite what you dream of. Chances are that you will regret it. Hey ........ gotta idear .... how about a 104 yr old farm house on 10 acres in S.E. WISCONSIN ? hahahahahahahaha

Later Gator,
sienna

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Sienna,
You'd dare try to steal our FB out of Tennessee????
Pam

Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

40 posts, read 206,627 times
Why ........ not at all ............. It can be her SUMMER HOME .... lol

And just think how lucky you are to get M E ! !

We had a contract on a charming little old country house in Decatur for DH , me and my critters but could not meet the time limit .............

I will keep watching their house on the list for when it goes away meaning FB prolly sealed the deal Right now it still says 'Contract Pending'.

We have an Open House next Sunday , cross your fingers for us old folks.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaoconnor View Post
Why ........ not at all ............. It can be her SUMMER HOME .... lol

And just think how lucky you are to get M E ! !

We had a contract on a charming little old country house in Decatur for DH , me and my critters but could not meet the time limit .............

I will keep watching their house on the list for when it goes away meaning FB prolly sealed the deal Right now it still says 'Contract Pending'.

We have an Open House next Sunday , cross your fingers for us old folks.
Very true, we would get you and be lucky too!
Lots of luck with the open house.
Pam

Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Oh how funny that we are getting the place you were looking at as well. Yes the contract is pending. Amanda has already put the earnest money down and mailed out her loan packet fed x yesterday. Pretty soon you will sign in to that property and it will say "sold". I drove by there again and saw some of the neatest things around the property that I missed before so I can honestly say I am finally looking forward to it. I an anxious to move and get busy on gardens and pig pens and making a home and all that. There is a large flat land area at the back part of the woods that if cleared could be home to a needy donkey. LOL. The neighbors out there seem to be very nice and my director's parents live in the neighborhood as well. Our agent that showed us the house lives just 2 miles from it.

siennaoconner: what exactly are you looking for? We have looked at so many places like this the past few weeks I may have ran across something that would interest you.

Pam: No chance of me leaving Tennessee. There are a few trees here in these mountains I have not had the chance to meet yet.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM

FB-
Glad we aren't losing you to another state as I haven't had a chance to meet ya yet!
Pam

Old 02-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,470 times
I hope you take that old propane stove too, it seems like it would be really nice for canning and such. I wish you luck on the new home, my husband and I both think you were treated badly by Hazel. But you have made the decision to move on and not look back, and that is a good thing! You will make many wonderful memories in your new home, I just know it.

By the way, you should post your recipes for your preserved foods, some looked interesting! How you made your jerkey, and your canned goods. You were so industrious to get so much done all while working at a job for income! It is absolutely amazing, and I don't know how you managed to do so much and still find time to sleep or eat. You must be terribly organized, and I an envious of your ability to organize your time so efficiently.

I am looking forward to your next update, and am sending all the positive thoughts I have your way in hopes all will go well with this new sale and your move to your new home. (((HUGS)))

Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Well I figured I would give an update, even though there is nothing much to update. We have not heard anything, they just sit there while my money gets drained at the attorney’s office on phone calls and letters asking what they plan to do.

The closing is March 16th at the other home. I am in some ways looking forward to moving, as I won’t have to sit stagnant and wait for nothing. I can actually DO things for a change. Right now I just get so frustrated. The Winter has been a little hard on us. There were tons of things we had planned to do since October and they just never got done, as there was no sense in doing it, especially after we learned we were not getting any land at all. The driveway has just been bear to get up and down. You start on a hill, go down into a small valley, through a few fields then back up another hill. So either way, we are going up and down hills. There is no gravel, so when it rains, it is just one big muddy mess. This has made is so hard on us at times. In addition to that, we really could have used that inside walling and the siding on the outside. We wanted to insulate our water system as well and finish the root cellar. Non of which got done so basically the house has just turned into a place where we sleep. I am pretty much looking forward to starting on my cabin at the new place and getting into the garden, planting and getting the pigs. My grandson is excited about the pigs and my granddaughter is looking forward to learning a new skill in the Fall.

Speaking of, Lakota had a full blown breakdown over this entire thing last week. She is 10 and was there to help build the house and it has become such a big part of her life. She loves staying there and I guess I never really realized just how hard it was on her with all this going on. I know it has been so hard on me and there are days that I cannot go long without hiding somewhere to cry. I try to stay strong in front of the grandkids and even my daughters and I never thought how it was bothering Lakota so much. She started crying the other day and just broke down, poor little thing. In between sobs she was talking of not wanting to give up the house and how much it meant to her, the memories she had developed there and the plans she had for the future. I talked to her about it for a long time. She had already decided weeks ago that she is going to be having a non electric day at her own home. She misses it when she is not with me. So she plans to cut off everything possible one day a week at her home and experience life without electricity there. I hope she intends on doing this for many years to come. She told me she thought when we moved we would have to go back to electricity and that was just really depressing her. I told her that was not my intention and she was thrilled to learn that I intend to live as non electric as possible from here on out. The cabin will have zero electricity in it and things will be as they are now. She can come over and spend the summer with me in the cabin and things will be fine. She felt better after spending the weekend with me and we talked about plans for the cabin. I am glad this way of life has made a good impression on her and she desires in this modern world, to experience this lifestyle with me.

As for the lifestyle, I have gotten a few emails requesting I post more about just that and I think that is a good idea, as I intend to continue living this way, regardless of where fate takes me. One thing I would tell people if choosing to live this way is, cut wood, and then cut more wood. When you have cut so much wood you think your arms will fall off, get a grip and cut more. If you heat with the wood and cook with wood, one thing is certain. You can never predict the weather months in advance. You should be prepared and what is not burned this year, will certainly be burned the next. We cut about 5 cords of wood this year. All resources, books and elderly folks told us that we would need 3-5 cords of wood. So we did 5. We have had some very cold spells this winter. If I had it to do over again, I would have cut 7 cords at least. There is nothing scarier than to look in the woodshed and see a half a cord of wood, knowing the weather for a week will be lows in the teens and highs below 40. Wood is your life source and without it well….you will freeze, plain and simple. When cutting the wood, get the whole family involved. We made picnic days this summer that involved wood cutting. Everyone came over, I provided the food, we cut wood and hauled it to the shed, ate, laughed and then roasted marshmallows with the kids that night with the brush left over. My Amish friends have wood cutting parties. The family has the big logs ready and they spend all day baking cookies and making hot cocoa and such. Everyone in the community that is able will come to help cut up, chop and stack the winter wood supply. The family provides food for everyone. The next week, another family will do the same thing. It makes it easier on everyone and it is a good feeling when everyone helps.

We are nearing the end of Winter and we have about a half a cord of wood left. We have a few trees that we have cut down, one a very large Oak, that we were going to cut up and get in the woodshed for next Winter. That way it would have a bit of time to season. But I won’t think about that for now. The wood is stacked on the front porch and we have been able to keep fairly warm this Winter. This time around though, we will start cutting wood a few days a month beginning in Spring as soon as we are settled. We don’t have a large community to have a wood cutting party, but with the family involved, we should get those 7 cords cut before needed next Winter.

Last edited by Forest Breath; 03-02-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Good to hear from you. Keeping my fingers crossed for March 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee