Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I moved to East TN almost 10 years ago to raise my children here and I LOVE IT! It was the best move of my life. I grew up in CT and then spent 11 years on South FL. When my oldest son went to school his first year in FL.I realized I did not want them to go to school there. I wanted to move back up North but after a vacation to the Smokie Mnts I knew this is where I wanted to be. People say hello and smile at you here, they really care about their neighbors here. I live in the Tri-Cities area now and [moderator CUT] I see people moving to this area from all over the place everyday and they love it. The schools are GREAT!, maybe not the highest test scores in the country but my kids are safe and well taken care of during their school day. There are no daily fights, no metal detectors or drug dogs in the schools (well, some in the larger cities) here, because they are not needed. My children not only learn to read and write, but to respect teachers and fellow classmates and in this day and age, that is important. As a parent I know I can teach them that at home but lets face it, kids will mimic there fellow students and friends before their parents.
What does worry me is that folks from FL or New England are moving in here and want to change it. They want associations, they want more shopping malls, they want to control what color the neighbor paints there house. People, if you want to move here it is because you like what you saw to begin with, leave it alone and enjoy the area. I love being able to drive less than 30 minutes and be in the mountains, see the wildlife, go hiking or rafting. It is wonderful! I love the fact that I know if my tire goes flat on the road, someone will stop and help, not hurt me. I LOVE paying LOW property tax. [CUT]
I don't claim to be an expert on the area, but I know I love it here and I happy to help anyone wanting to move here with any questions you might have. [CUT]
In a nut shell........I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I LOVE east TN!

Last edited by Marka; 05-04-2006 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 AM

170 posts, read 566,209 times
Thank you so much for that, mbmouse, I really needed to hear that! I have been struggling with this decision for months, and we actually visited the area (Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg) earlier this month, and really liked it. But I'm from Seattle area- so much different, and so it's a HUGE decision to make being that I have kids. I want what's best for them. I've doubted myself, and looked for other areas, but keep coming back to that area. (Not to mention my mom and step-dad just signed papers on a house in Seymour today- to be near us when we move!) So, I guess that's where we're going, and it's just so nice to be reassured that where we're going is a good place!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default Your Welcome!

Pigion Forge area is the most expensive in the area and you must be very patient with traffic as it is VERY busy exspecially when they have events such as Rod-Run and Winter Fest, but also some of the best schools as Dolly Parton funds most of it and makes sure the kids have extra programs such as music and drama that alot of schools across the country are cutting out. They also have the highest property tax but again, can be very worth it. I now live in the Tri-Cites area and I love it, I wouldn't think of raising my boys any where else. [moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 05-04-2006 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-03-2006, 03:37 PM

170 posts, read 566,209 times
Thanks mbmouse, we actually are looking into the Sevierville area, due to the fact that my husband would most likely work in Knoxville, so the closer to the freeway, the better. They seem to be putting a few new developments in the area in our price range. I know, traffic will still be a bear, but hopefully some back roads will help! At least I don't think we'll be bored, there should always be something going on!

Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
Default Moving from Wisconsin?

My husband and I are giving a lot of thought to moving to Tennessee next year. We will both be retiring at the end of this summer. We especially like the Spring Hill, Cookeville, and Dale Hollow areas. We've traveled through much of the state and found it not only both breathtakingly beautiful, but full of very friendly people. I'm ready to go but my husband is concerned with the weather. We don't mind heat but the high humidity is a concern. I've been to Florida to visit our daughter in the summer. The humidity there didn't bother me but it burns off around 11:00 or noon every day. It's my understanding thats not the case in Tennessee. We've heard it's humid all day. Can anyone give me some idea what the weather is like in summer and fall. Is it very hot and humid all day and night? Does the humidity burn off as the day goes on? Or does it get any cooler? We could deal with high humidity if it isn't over 90 degrees every day. Also another post here says it rains every day for several months. Does it rain all day and night or is it just a few hours each day? Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dneitzel
My husband and I are giving a lot of thought to moving to Tennessee next year. We will both be retiring at the end of this summer. We especially like the Spring Hill, Cookeville, and Dale Hollow areas. We've traveled through much of the state and found it not only both breathtakingly beautiful, but full of very friendly people. I'm ready to go but my husband is concerned with the weather. We don't mind heat but the high humidity is a concern. I've been to Florida to visit our daughter in the summer. The humidity there didn't bother me but it burns off around 11:00 or noon every day. It's my understanding thats not the case in Tennessee. We've heard it's humid all day. Can anyone give me some idea what the weather is like in summer and fall. Is it very hot and humid all day and night? Does the humidity burn off as the day goes on? Or does it get any cooler? We could deal with high humidity if it isn't over 90 degrees every day. Also another post here says it rains every day for several months. Does it rain all day and night or is it just a few hours each day? Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me.
.........Good questions!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
I gre up in east TN and spend about a week there every summer. The mountains in far east TN are generall cooler, but from about Knoxville west you will have 90s and high humdity all summer. And its generally humid all day. On a typical hot, sunny July day it will be humid most of the day. Around 4 or 5 pm the humidity builds up to thunderstorms, and you will have a 30 minute downpours.

Like I said, it should be better in the moutains. My expierence focuses on the area roughly between Knoxville and Chatenooga.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM

130 posts, read 566,172 times
I live in Johnson City but go to Knoxville every few weeks for work and can state with confidence that Knoxville is MUCH hotter. I was in Knoxville last week and was amazed and what a difference an hour and a half can make.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
I live in Johnson City but go to Knoxville every few weeks for work and can state with confidence that Knoxville is MUCH hotter. I was in Knoxville last week and was amazed and what a difference an hour and a half can make.
What about Murfreesboro?

Old 08-10-2006, 06:37 PM

130 posts, read 566,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
What about Murfreesboro?
Sorry, never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee