Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 04:50 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,914,644 times

Advertisements

While it has only happened once in the 15 years I've lived here -----one year we did get eight inches of snow in early March

That's nothing when one is from the OH/PA border but I was so excited to see that much snow in my area of TN, I plowed the driveway, the area between the barn and the workshop and the neighbor's entire parking area, lollol

The way the weather is behaving this year, I wouldn't say "I don't think" to anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 10,344 times
So if I get tire chains in advance for a "just in case" I should be good without 4wd?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhgrab011 View Post
So if I get tire chains in advance for a "just in case" I should be good without 4wd?
If you're that concerned, I'd just rent a 4WD SUV when you come. I would not pack the chains. It's rare to have much lingering snow in March.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,914,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you're that concerned, I'd just rent a 4WD SUV when you come. I would not pack the chains. It's rare to have much lingering snow in March.
^^^This

That eight inches of snow I plowed was gone in three days, what was left was the ice, lollol

Our driveway is 500 curved & sloped feet. The snow was going to start melting then freeze again -- something that is not fun once the driveway starts to "rut up" with deep tracks thru the snow. Negotiating those ruts for 500 feet up or down the drive (it's on the edge of a knoll), held no appeal whatsoever.

Originally being from the OH/PA border, where I stopped buying snow tires after I bought my first front wheel drive car (I also still have a 4WD truck), chains for the month of March in Tennessee would be overkill and a waste of money

Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
^^^This

That eight inches of snow I plowed was gone in three days, what was left was the ice, lollol

Our driveway is 500 curved & sloped feet. The snow was going to start melting then freeze again -- something that is not fun once the driveway starts to "rut up" with deep tracks thru the snow. Negotiating those ruts for 500 feet up or down the drive (it's on the edge of a knoll), held no appeal whatsoever.

Originally being from the OH/PA border, where I stopped buying snow tires after I bought my first front wheel drive car (I also still have a 4WD truck), chains for the month of March in Tennessee would be overkill and a waste of money
Y'all are the best, thank you so much for all the input. I will check the weather a few days before we leave and make a decision on what to do. My husband says I am freaking out for nothing, but I can't help it I am a planner lol

Old 01-28-2019, 02:58 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
The average snowfall for Sieverville for March is 1". For an entire month. It averages 5" of snow for the entire winter.

What are we talking about here?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The average snowfall for Sieverville for March is 1". For an entire month. It averages 5" of snow for the entire winter.

What are we talking about here?
LOL right....I think the whole point was that if I really needed 4wd to get to my cabin on Silver Poplar Lane? Travel agent said only if the weather was inclement, well I am from the South so inclement to me is rain not ice. My SUV does not have 4wd and I thought it did...I am driving there so I wasn't sure if not having it was a huge issue??

Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There doesnt seem to be any wintry weather predicted for March so you should be good without 4WD.
You can see weather a month in the future? Wow!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:11 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
The cabin is in Seviervile, not remote at all.
Actually it's off the spur. That part of the area is considered unincorporated Sevierville, but it's actually closer to Gatlinburg. I looked at a few cabins in there before we bought ours. That area can be very hilly if you have to go in more than a mile or two. That being said, I wouldn't worry about it too much in March. Check the forecast a few days ahead, barring freezing temps, you shouldn't need 4WD or chains.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:35 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
LOL right....I think the whole point was that if I really needed 4wd to get to my cabin on Silver Poplar Lane? Travel agent said only if the weather was inclement, well I am from the South so inclement to me is rain not ice. My SUV does not have 4wd and I thought it did...I am driving there so I wasn't sure if not having it was a huge issue??
Seriously I would not worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee