Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 5,903 times

Advertisements

Hi CDers, my husband is due to retire from the military in the next few years, and we are looking to move back to his roots in TN.

We would like to buy 100ish acres and live self-sustainably in a passive solar earth sheltered home. We'd like to live 20-40 minutes away from a town with a decent grocery store, public library and building supply. School districts don't matter since we home school.

He grew up in Sevier County, but it's gotten pretty expensive around there. What counties do you knowledgeable folk recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 AM

53 posts, read 72,272 times
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 03-14-2019 at 02:08 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 06:37 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,721 times
I'll recommend a rural area with which I am most familiar- this would be Laurel Bloomery community in Johnson County which is the most eastern and northern county in Tennessee. Search on Google at "realtor 37680". There are several 100+ tracts listed which I believe have mostly been logged out and gone back to nature. We have family property nearby which is not currently on the market but we spend significant time in the area to keep current. I live in Sullivan County but other than the eastern most part of Sullivan, the same goes as in Sevier County on high land cost issue (land sold by the square foot, not by the acre).

Laurel Bloomery (a community, not a town) is nine miles from Mountain City, Tennessee, 6 miles from Damascus, Virginia, and 15 miles from Abingdon, Virginia all of which have the amenities you listed (except Damascus does not have a builders supply). This is in the heart of the mountains and offers lots of outdoor recreational opportunities. PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Rossn2, thanks- we have looked at land online and plan to visit some areas later this year.

Jim37680, that's a great tip. I've read some good things about Johnson County overall. I especially like that there is no building code there. We plan to do a lot of the construction ourselves. My husband gutted and renovated our last house, and we like the freedom of no permits. modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 03-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: not allowed

Old 03-16-2019, 01:53 PM

606 posts, read 419,500 times
I am from TN and to be honest I know little about buying land, but in my home county of Montgomery they ALWAYS had signs for land for sale. Montgomery co. is also pretty cheap and there's a military base, huge one, so shopping is not hard to come by. You also have the rural area of Woodlawn that has plenty of space. In general it isn't very far from rural areas with land in this toen. It's also an hour from Nashville. I'd check here for possible suggestions.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,462 times
Johnson or Carter Co.'s

Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 AM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! We are beginning our search next week by looking at land in Rutledge/Grainger County. My husband plans to open a handyman business. I know not many in Rutledge would hire a handyman, but would nearby towns be large enough to give him some business? I was thinking Morristown and Jefferson City may have a more suburban population (with a number of people who don't want to cut their own grass, paint pressure wash, etc.) Any advice or opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee