Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,693 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some info about the history of this town or whom I could contact. The reason is my grandfather whom past away three years ago had started our family history about 20 years ago. He kepted awsome records and in it, he talked about Friendship being founded by two families, ours from Alabama and another neighbor family. He traced them and went to friendship in 1985 to look at the records. But I am now trying to update and enhance his work. Any info could help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
I am going to busy this next week, but if you send me some names I can look them up on Ancestry.com.
Jeans

Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,516 times
Did you ever find the information you were looking for about Friendship. I have a lot of genealogical information about Friendship and Crockett County as well as part of Dyer County. Crockett County was formed in 1872 from Dyer, Gibson, Madison and Haywood Counties. Of course, the county was named after Davy Crockett who actually lived in Gibson County. Alamo is the county seat. The town's original name was Cageville but was changed in 1872 to honor Davy Crockett.
Friendship received it's name from the co-operation of two business men. The Post Office was to be placed in the area. The two men both owned stores, one at the top of the hill and the other near the bottom. The two men agreed on a location and from their agreement, the town received it's name. The Post Office still covers a large part of Crockett County and part of Dyer County.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,786 times
I'm writing a book set in Friendship in 1864 and am looking for historical information. What stores were there, how big the town was, anything that Friendship might consider important to it's history?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,516 times
Default Friendship

I do not know much about Friendship during the time frame you mentioned. Friendship is in Crockett County. However, the county was not created until 1972. Area from Dyer, Gibson, Madison and Haywood all were joined to create Crockett County. Friendship before that was in Dyer County.
One of the earliest postal service locations was put up on the hill after a coming together of minds between two competing stores. They agreed and the Post Office was set between the two stores. From that agreement came the town's name.
During this time period also, the community of Chestnut Bluff was larger than Other towsn nearby, except for Dyersburg. Chestnut Bluff suffered from a change in the railroad that was being built. The track bed was carved out all the way to the bluff right over the South Fork of the Forked Deer River.
The railroad ran on the west side of the River closer to the community of Hansford. This later became Halls. Around 1900, there were two large fires that destroyed most of the town which had three doctors and several stores.
Maybe this will help a little.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,786 times
Thank you! I did travel to Friendship and acquired some information. I didn't know about Chestnut Bluff though. This is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee