Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What eastern Tennessee city would be the best for an older couple starting retirement.
Chattanooga Area 5 21.74%
Knoxville Area 11 47.83%
Kingsport Area 4 17.39%
None of these! 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:26 PM

377 posts, read 470,070 times

Advertisements

If gardening, woodworking, and hiking are your retirement passions, areas not too far from the Smokies will suit you.

Hiking is not too far away from us here in Blount/Knox/Sevier counties. There's also a nice market for woodworking/woodcarving in this area. There are many opportunities to take woodcarving classes around Townsend, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge also. (Gene Webb is one of the best, if he's still teaching.) I wouldn't recommend settling in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge because of slower traffic rather than slower pace you want, but Kodak, Seymour, Townsend, Walland, and outskirts of Maryville are all within your budget and an acceptable drive to anywhere you'd want to go. Madisonville isn't a bad area either, though Madisonville and Walland have spotty cell service.

If you love gardening and flowers, be sure to hike Gregory Bald when the flaming azaleas are in bloom. Also visit the Biltmore in Asheville, NC (2 hrs from Knoxville). The azaleas, roses and other fllowers are breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 06:10 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
OP- I see you are now considering Arkansas from your latest post. Please let us know what you decide upon.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 AM

34 posts, read 42,495 times
You might want to check out TELLICO VILLAGE. https://tellicovillage.org/ It's located about 1/2 hour below Knoxville. It's not a 'Gated Community" but the folks are mostly 50 & above . They have come from all other states to enjoy life . MANY AMENITIES , pools, Golf courses, hiking trails,Gyms,water sports due to many coves off of the Tenn River for boating,fishing ,you name it's here. The best part is if you do not want to avail yourself of the amenities offered, it's a pay as you use it. Fees are very modest. Tellico Village has been around for many years and is well established. We relocated here in 2015 as resident of TN from Long Island, NY. Have not regretted it. Take a look.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 PM

858 posts, read 680,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
OP- I see you are now considering Arkansas from your latest post. Please let us know what you decide upon.

I was considering Arkansas... that is until I spent a week north of Little Rock (during the start of the flooding)!

• Mountains too small
  • Towns too depressed
  • Services too limited.

I also just spent a week driving across east Tennessee (Appalachians) and was reminded by I was choosing TN to begin with.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Knoxville... Maryville... Knoxville... Farragut... Knoxville... Lenoir City... Knoxville... Kingston... Knoxville... Oak Ridge... Knoxville... Sevierville... Knoxville.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 AM

377 posts, read 470,070 times
Are you more of an ATV lover (Rocky Top/Clinton where that's common, as well as other outdoor activities), Beer aficionado (Knoxville/Powell/Karns to stay near local breweries/events), or Mountain lover (Maryville/Walland/Rockford for mountain views)

Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I was considering Arkansas... that is until I spent a week north of Little Rock (during the start of the flooding)!

• Mountains too small
  • Towns too depressed
  • Services too limited.

I also just spent a week driving across east Tennessee (Appalachians) and was reminded by I was choosing TN to begin with.
I grew up in East Tennessee with the Appalachians and now live in Memphis closer to the Ozarks in Arkansas. There is no comparison. It is totally different. East TN has higher peaks and much more to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee