U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Sprague River, OR
23 posts, read 40,016 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

WooHoo, Retirement time. Our place in Oregon closes Oct 4th, we are heading east. Would love advice on places to move to, been reading about TN for a long time but have never been there. Places we like (at least on the internet) are around the Kentucky Lake area, Watts Barr area, my wife seems to lean towards eastern TN. We will be heading out and living in our RV with our 4 Australian Sheppard's till we find a place, kinda exciting i think (wife not so much) LOL. Here is a list of what were looking for:
1..As we are retied. Affordable, $200,000 or less, low taxes for a home.
2..Be near TN river and marinas as we enjoy boating.
3..Prefer small rural areas.
4..Within a couple hours of hospital as wife has leukemia and may need treatment one day, she prefers Nashville.
5..At least an acre would be nice as we are coming from a 180acre ranch and used to a bit of privacy but do enjoy good people for sure. But it is nice to be able to pee off your back porch without your neighbor watching ya know...LOL.


I realize there are more mosquitoes and humidity than we have here, we can work around the humidity as we will be retired but are the mosquitoes and bugs so bad on the water you cant enjoy boating?



As we are leaving Oregon in October and living in our RV would it be a bad idea to try and find a place during winter or best wait till spring?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2019, 11:25 AM
 
12,524 posts, read 34,940,870 times
Reputation: 9617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
WooHoo, Retirement time. Our place in Oregon closes Oct 4th, we are heading east. Would love advice on places to move to, been reading about TN for a long time but have never been there. Places we like (at least on the internet) are around the Kentucky Lake area, Watts Barr area, my wife seems to lean towards eastern TN. We will be heading out and living in our RV with our 4 Australian Sheppard's till we find a place, kinda exciting i think (wife not so much) LOL. Here is a list of what were looking for:
1..As we are retied. Affordable, $200,000 or less, low taxes for a home.
2..Be near TN river and marinas as we enjoy boating.
3..Prefer small rural areas.
4..Within a couple hours of hospital as wife has leukemia and may need treatment one day, she prefers Nashville.
5..At least an acre would be nice as we are coming from a 180acre ranch and used to a bit of privacy but do enjoy good people for sure. But it is nice to be able to pee off your back porch without your neighbor watching ya know...LOL.


I realize there are more mosquitoes and humidity than we have here, we can work around the humidity as we will be retired but are the mosquitoes and bugs so bad on the water you cant enjoy boating?



As we are leaving Oregon in October and living in our RV would it be a bad idea to try and find a place during winter or best wait till spring?
I'm going to recommend you look east of Nashville around Cordell Hull Lake. You can definitely find homes on 1+ acres with easy lake access for less than $200k. It'll put you a half hour or so from Cookeville which is a popular retirement area and has a large, regional hospital. It's also just over an hour from Nashville which of course has some of the best medical care in the country. Plus, the area around Cordell Hull is just beautiful. Here are samples of homes that have recently sold around there so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

You could probably find something near Center Hill Lake, too, which is bit larger than Dale Hollow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true
__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Sprague River, OR
23 posts, read 40,016 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks JMT for the links, really like those areas, especially the property's with water views. As far as boating goes would like a lake that is navigable to the TN river system.




Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm going to recommend you look east of Nashville around Cordell Hull Lake. You can definitely find homes on 1+ acres with easy lake access for less than $200k. It'll put you a half hour or so from Cookeville which is a popular retirement area and has a large, regional hospital. It's also just over an hour from Nashville which of course has some of the best medical care in the country. Plus, the area around Cordell Hull is just beautiful. Here are samples of homes that have recently sold around there so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

You could probably find something near Center Hill Lake, too, which is bit larger than Dale Hollow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM
 
12,524 posts, read 34,940,870 times
Reputation: 9617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
Thanks JMT for the links, really like those areas, especially the property's with water views. As far as boating goes would like a lake that is navigable to the TN river system.
Cordell Hull Lake is on the Cumberland River which flows through Nashville and hooks up with the Tennessee River at Land Between the Lakes. Kentucky Lake is the Tennessee River, Lake Barkley is the Cumberland River. It's all navigable.
__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Sprague River, OR
23 posts, read 40,016 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Cordell Hull Lake is on the Cumberland River which flows through Nashville and hooks up with the Tennessee River at Land Between the Lakes. Kentucky Lake is the Tennessee River, Lake Barkley is the Cumberland River. It's all navigable.

Great, will consider that area for sure. Thanks again JMT,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 PM
 
28 posts, read 20,295 times
Reputation: 56
You can look at Perry County (lobelville,Linden,hohenwald), TN river on west side and Buffalo River on east side
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 05:44 AM
 
1,432 posts, read 1,211,329 times
Reputation: 5877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossn2 View Post
You can look at Perry County (lobelville,Linden,hohenwald), TN river on west side and Buffalo River on east side
OP, you can ^^^^^ and while Perry County is still Middle Twnnessee, it is one of the farthest points west.

That area seems to always be hitting the news for floods and severe storm damage. Folks who live there will debate that but they are so used to putting up with flooding and high winds, they sometimes don't "see" how much they really go thru

I've been retired since 2003 in southern Middle Tennessee in an Ag County (I still have horses), not too far from Tim's Ford Lake, where there is great fishing and nice homes. (Franklin County).

HOWEVER. --- IMHO? --- stick with JMT's recommendations, given your wife's current health issues

I wish your wife a full and speedy recovery and a safe journey for both of you. I know you'll be traveling in an RV but if your wife says "stop for awhile" she can't handle the motion, then by golly you stop for awhile"

Remember the old Styxx song? "--I got nowhere to go and all day to get there --"

Last edited by Normashirley; 08-29-2019 at 06:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:09 AM
 
585 posts, read 350,758 times
Reputation: 1576
Yes, NashVegas has the excellent medical care of Vanderbilt University, a decisive advantage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Sprague River, OR
23 posts, read 40,016 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
OP, you can ^^^^^ and while Perry County is still Middle Twnnessee, it is one of the farthest points west.

That area seems to always be hitting the news for floods and severe storm damage. Folks who live there will debate that but they are so used to putting up with flooding and high winds, they sometimes don't "see" how much they really go thru

I've been retired since 2003 in southern Middle Tennessee in an Ag County (I still have horses), not too far from Tim's Ford Lake, where there is great fishing and nice homes. (Franklin County).

HOWEVER. --- IMHO? --- stick with JMT's recommendations, given your wife's current health issues

I wish your wife a full and speedy recovery and a safe journey for both of you. I know you'll be traveling in an RV but if your wife says "stop for awhile" she can't handle the motion, then by golly you stop for awhile"

Remember the old Styxx song? "--I got nowhere to go and all day to get there --"

Thank you for the heads up and the kind words as well. We plan to leave Oregon first of October sometime and take our time. Not sure if we will even make it to TN until spring, seems most campgrounds close for the winter and there's not a lot of public land like out west where one can camp on. We need to focus on an area and get in touch with a real estate broker. One thing my wife wants as well is to be an hour or so from an airport that has reasonable flights so she can visit her family, I know Nashville is a major hub, not sure of the other cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:45 AM
 
12,524 posts, read 34,940,870 times
Reputation: 9617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
Thank you for the heads up and the kind words as well. We plan to leave Oregon first of October sometime and take our time. Not sure if we will even make it to TN until spring, seems most campgrounds close for the winter and there's not a lot of public land like out west where one can camp on. We need to focus on an area and get in touch with a real estate broker. One thing my wife wants as well is to be an hour or so from an airport that has reasonable flights so she can visit her family, I know Nashville is a major hub, not sure of the other cities.
Nashville is the only airport in Tennessee with nonstop flights to Portland. The Nashville airport has 72 destinations on 19 airlines, Memphis has 27 destinations on 11 airlines, Knoxville has 23 destinations on 7 airlines, and Chattanooga has 11 destinations on 5 airlines. The Nashville airport is over twice as large as the other airports combined. You'll have a much better chance getting more convenient flights (and cheaper flights) out of Nashville, easily. It's one of the reasons I moved from Knoxville to the Cookeville area, as I'm now less than an hour from the Nashville airport and why many people from Knoxville and Chattanooga drive to Nashville for flights.
__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top