U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 10:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 349,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I feel I-40 eastbound could use a third lane between Cookeville and Monterey. I-40 has heavy big rig traffic which always slows to a crawl as these trucks are trying to go uphill. Trucks that are able to go a little faster than others tend to get into the passing lane here to pass the slower trucks, but they cannot go as fast as cars, so traffic slows to a crawl in the passing lane as well. There are often accidents in this area.
They plan that from the Wilson/Smith County line all the way to Monterey, with trucks only allowed in the right two lanes. They did one Smith County portion last year, and it's definitely needed very badly. I'm especially in favor of widening the Cookeville/Monterey and Buffalo Valley/Silver Point grades
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 10:52 AM

4,308 posts, read 1,417,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
It may have to do with the fact that Tennessee has more interstate mileage than all but three states in the US (California, Illinois, and Texas). That’s a lot of miles to keep up for the population we have. Kentucky has less than half the miles of interstate as Tennessee so each mile gets more attention and dollars are likely a little easier to find.
Really??? Interesting, I would have never thought of that.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:46 PM

2,891 posts, read 4,311,233 times
Quote:
It may have to do with the fact that Tennessee has more interstate mileage than all but three states in the US (California, Illinois, and Texas). That’s a lot of miles to keep up for the population we have. Kentucky has less than half the miles of interstate as Tennessee so each mile gets more attention and dollars are likely a little easier to find.
I don't think this is true... I found one source putting TN at 3rd with 1,959.54 mi (link), but every legit government source I could find has much lower values for the state.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/highwayhistory/data/page07.cfm - Lists the top 5, and TN isn't on it
https://www.tn.gov/tdot/100years-hom...nterstate.html - Has TN with 1,105

A quick check:
I-40: 455 mi
I-24: 185 mi
I-75: 162 mi
I-65: 122 mi
There's also I-81 and plus a few loops and spurs, but nothing even close to 1,900 miles.

So 1100 for TN, and a little over 900 for KY.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,607,854 times
Quote:
What makes KY different is the miles of parkway built back when that were built as toll roads. When the bonds were paid off, the parkways are now free. AFAIK they are named & not numbered. They may not fit modern interstate standards with interchanges, medians & other factors. The new I-69 follows the route of a Parkway from Hendersonville west to near Paducah and on to Fulton. I-169 connects with I-24 near Ft Campbell. Someday there will be a new bridge over the Ohio to Evansville IN.

In TN we have more 4 lane highways connecting the county seat to the Interstate. Someday soon TN needs to build I-69 from Fulton KY to Memphis.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 349,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
In TN we have more 4 lane highways connecting the county seat to the Interstate.
You're right.

In fact, they have plans to connect EVERY county seat one day. 2/3 of the way done for Celina and already surveying right-of-way to finish up Wartburg.

I wonder what route they'll follow when they do Gainesboro. SR 56, whether with or without 290, would seem the most sensible, but I'm hoping they do SR 53 and 264 instead; it's actually slightly faster to get to Nashville, which anchors Middle Tennessee's economy into place (with Murfreesboro and Clarksville as other primary hubs).

But I'll make a separate thread about that. I don't want to get this one too off-topic.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 PM

210,211 posts, read 80,943,033 times
When I leave Crossville I take 127 down the valley to US-111 to US-27 south I-24 to I-75 to FL.. It's shorter and faster than going east to get on I-75. I think it is possible to widen I-75 across TN but not practical unless it is made a toll road to pay for accelerated completion. I-75 in GA and FL is an ongoing thing. Constructing super highways in landslide country is not an easy feat. I've seen boulders in the roadways at times that would crush a semi. Repair is ongoing on I-40 now where the mountain side seems to be slipping downward. All can be done with enough dollars in the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee