Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times

Advertisements

The Early Bird Gets The Worm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 PM

86 posts, read 132,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes, it's too early. You'll peak too soon!

Here's what will happen. You'll start researching now. Within a year you will narrow down your choices. You'll come for a few visits and you won't want to go home. Now, if 2011 is also when you can retire, you'll have too many years to find a million things wrong with your job. Three years of work will seem like an eternity when you are ready now to start your new life in your new state. Tick tock, tick tock. Your current town will get uglier and uglier with each passing day. You will scream at idiot drivers. The clock will become your best friend. You'll wish your life away. You'll read about festivals and other events in your potential new town and spend every waking minute daydreaming of your new life and all of the exciting new things you could be doing if you weren't living in your current stinkin' town doin' your current stinkin' job. You will become so obsessed with your new living place that your friends will tire of hearing about it. You'll overthink your move so much that you will wonder about things like parking at an event you won't attend for another 3 years or what kind of garbage cans you should buy so you fit in, in your new neighborhood. You will become a skeleton of your former self, jonesed about THE MOVE but paralyzed to do anything about it. Did I mention how many City Data posts you'll rack up?

But seriously, use the next 2 years to eliminate places with online research and to visit potential spots. Start reading those local newspapers online.
Well, we're not retiring retiring, my wife is retiring from the federal government and wants to get out of high cost Maryland and maybe teach and I'll be looking for a job in a decent sized hospital (health information). I do like my job since I work with a bunch of wonderful people and will miss them when I go. Where I'm currently living got ugly 5 yrs ago when they started tearing down trees for shopping centers (some that haven't even been built/aren't finished) yet. LOL, since I claim to be a Christian I try to pray for those idiot drivers instead of rail at them and lately I've been taking the back way to get home, because the main intersection is just too crowded.
No, haven't checked out when the events are yet, maybe I'll start doing that.
But, this is what I know we want so far (well, what my wife wants, because if mama ain't happy, nobody is). Mayberry, probably with a Walmart, and a 55 plus apartment complex because she doesn't want to hear a lot of screaming kids (kind of ironic, her being a Sunday school teacher and all). For me, at least, a mountain view. She doesn't get on the forum, heck doesn't even get on the computer much, so there'll be more to come.
Laura, thanks for your insight, as always.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
The Early Bird Gets The Worm
It depends on what is considered early. There are a lot of folks across the country that bought homes that they thought would go up in value, only to find that they went down.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile Never too early.

HB, I think you will be glad that you have taken the time to do lots of research on all of your spots of interest, visit them several times trying to hit different seasons, and spend some time with local folks.

It helps to visit libraries, restaurants, local parks and definitely local fairs and attractions. This will really help you to see if you are getting the vibes you are hoping for, as well as really getting to know the culture, economy and amenities of each area.

We have found that a local library and parks are a great barometer for sizing up a town or community. If folks in town are really interested in their area you will find well-cared for and stocked libraries that offer programs to their community and parks that get a lot of use and respect. It has worked for us everytime.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
We bought some property last year, we can't retire until April 2010. Then we plan to make our home in TN. And yes, we can hardly wait. Except for us it is the LIGHT at the end of the tunnel. And it was already getting to be a stinky city (at least 10 years ago) before we bought our piece of heaven.
It might take several trips to find what and where you want to live, so don't get discouraged. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammockbrain View Post
Well, we're not retiring retiring, my wife is retiring from the federal government and wants to get out of high cost Maryland and maybe teach and I'll be looking for a job in a decent sized hospital (health information). I do like my job since I work with a bunch of wonderful people and will miss them when I go. Where I'm currently living got ugly 5 yrs ago when they started tearing down trees for shopping centers (some that haven't even been built/aren't finished) yet. LOL, since I claim to be a Christian I try to pray for those idiot drivers instead of rail at them and lately I've been taking the back way to get home, because the main intersection is just too crowded.
No, haven't checked out when the events are yet, maybe I'll start doing that.
But, this is what I know we want so far (well, what my wife wants, because if mama ain't happy, nobody is). Mayberry, probably with a Walmart, and a 55 plus apartment complex because she doesn't want to hear a lot of screaming kids (kind of ironic, her being a Sunday school teacher and all). For me, at least, a mountain view. She doesn't get on the forum, heck doesn't even get on the computer much, so there'll be more to come.
Laura, thanks for your insight, as always.
Gee, I hope everyone knows I was trying to be funny. I was hoping the emoticons gave it away. The only thing I meant seriously was the part about reading local newspapers and visiting.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
I gotcha right away, LauraC, and I thought it was VERY funny, because it is, oh so true!

Once you have it in your mind that this is the place and you have fallen in love with the local culture, food, and surroundings - look out. You'll want to use every vacation, long weekend and sick days to find a way back to look again!

Last year was the year that DH and I lost our marbles and were visiting just about every other week for awhile. But, it DID cement the deal in our minds that we were making the right choice for us. So, it isn't really ever too early to start the research and the visits, just as you said!!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Gee, I hope everyone knows I was trying to be funny. I was hoping the emoticons gave it away. The only thing I meant seriously was the part about reading local newspapers and visiting.

Oh, it's absolutely funny, but most of it is true. I've been trying to tear myself away from this website, and can't because I'm an information hound, even passed a Jeopardy audition once, but never got called to California, which may be a blessing, I mean, I've done som interesting stuff but not enough for a few conversations with Alex (assuming I would be a multi day champ, while I'm no Ken Jennings, I think I could hold my own.) But I digress,
I've been coveting some of the houses I've seen in the realtor's packets, but we're not going to buy, don't want the hassle, I don't think I've taken care of my present house the way that I should, and we'll be looking to rent. I've said it before, I can't wait for my first visit, the only other time I've been to TN is to drive through Nashville on my way to getting stationed in Missouri in 1984, got close to it in the late 80s going on I-81 in VA on my way to NC.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Hammockbrain,
This site is addicting when looking for information. This is a great bunch that posts on the Tn. forum. After your visit in Nov. you'll have a much better idea of where you want to live because as I found out this past weekend, Tn. is a very big varied state that each town or area has such a different vibe to it. No one can tell you where to live, you have to experience it for yourself and pick what place suits you personally.
But enjoy the dreamin, it is fun isn't it?
Pam

Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Default TN dreaming

But enjoy the dreamin, it is fun isn't it?
Absolutely, especially seeing the pictures. I'm not tied down to any genre of music, because I like everything from classical to grunge, but I look forward to seeing some of things that happen there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee