Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

Oh my, I'm completely confused. I want to break into the music business (pop) but I am wanting to live in Tenessese because it's a 2 day drive from my hometown and I have sick family I need to be near. But can I live in Nashville and still break into the Pop music industry? How would I go about that? How much would rent be for a studio apartment. I know Memphis isn't safer but how bad is it really? Which would be better to live in memphis or just make the drive there? HELP!

Also Any advice on being noticed, I know I have a hit song....any recording companys I need to visit? Names I need to remember in Tenessese?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM

264 posts, read 1,151,364 times
Ok, unless your planning to be ountry singer don't go to Nashville. There are good parts of Memphis there just more expensive. Now if you want a real music career than Memphis is the way to go, but if you want safe and less expensive Nashville is the way to go.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
It does not matter where you reside to break into the industry, just go through the bio's of singers and you can see for your self.

I would take living in Nashville any day of the week over memphis. You could not pay me enough to live in Memphis, I rather be poor in Nashville than rich in Memphis.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
Stay in Nashville. You can easily progress musically if you are determined and willing to think outside the box. As a Memphian I would encourage you to stay away. I have visited Nashville several times and it is far more progressive than Memphis. Stay where you are.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
Living in Memphis could lead to a shorter life.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,551 times
nashville aint all about counrty music. i would say nashville wud b the music capitol. tennessee alone its so many producers studios schools and artist throughout the whole state. no matter which its a win win situation

Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
I get really put out by folks who PRAY we're all about country making the statement that we're all about country to make themselves feel better about the paleness of the industry in their neck of the woods.

Our accolades in country, pop, jazz, rock, classical, bluegrass are well known among those who know, so unless you do, please keep your statements to yourself.

Now to the O.P. : You sound a bit naive to be moving to Nashville with hopes and dreams of becoming rich and famous. No matter where you go, there will be hundreds of others doing the same thing. Many will be better.

Come here, get a job, get to know people, practice your craft. Your competition is probably MUCH more intense and insane than you can imagine, so always perform and write like your life is depending on it. Otherwise, no one will notice much.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:22 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Nashville is home to the music industry in general, not just the country music industry. Just ask Paramore, Kings of Leon, The Raconteurs, Ben Folds, Sheryl Crow etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Now to the O.P. : You sound a bit naive to be moving to Nashville with hopes and dreams of becoming rich and famous. No matter where you go, there will be hundreds of others doing the same thing. Many will be better.
OP posted that 2 years ago.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
I'd say overall there are more opportunities in Nashville. After all, it's called the "Third Coast" for the very fact that the industry is based there. There are so many live venues that play the full range of music, plus you have a world-class university there... and (let's face it) popular music gets no where without the teeny-boppers and/or college scene.

Now, I'm dating myself, but I remember when REM (from Athens, GA) used to play the live spots around Vanderbilt in the early 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee