U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 3 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times

Advertisements

JMarkey: Some people are moving here with great trepidation. They have such an "eww" factor, that I don't think it will be for them. When you asked about coyotes I got the sense that you were just trying to learn about them. I didn't get the "eww" factor from you! I'm also thinking that you wouldn't want to pave over the state anytime soon!

I'm going from people's numerous posts about an area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 PM

51 posts, read 83,194 times

The woman who used to sit next to me in my office got bit by a brown recluse at work. She had a jacket that she would wear when she got chilly from the AC, and apparently the spider was in her jacket sleeve.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 12,613 times
I'm originally from MO where we had brown recluses everywhere. They are not nearly as bad in TN from what I can tell. I don't know of anyone who's been bitten in TN (obviously the previous poster does), but I know of many who've been bitten in MO, so I use that as a measure of how bad they are here.

In Knoxville, our home is newer and we have an exterminator come out regularly. With that combo I don't think it would be an issue at all. However I learned many years ago to shake out your shoes and clothes before putting them on!

Last edited by kailam77; 12-30-2006 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: added

Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 PM

243 posts, read 622,150 times
Talking Brown Recluse

You are right, the reason I ask about Brown Recluse is to educate myself. Here in New Mexico we have other critters. On a rare ocassion you will see a Torantulla parked on your front porch, no big deal. But, scorpions are another thing. We just killed on in our office about two months ago. It was just walking around the office floor. We have the white ones out here and they are the bad ones although the black ones look much more vicious. Wearing western boots have their purpose. Rattlers are another thing to watch for if your in a Mesa. Now I know what I will need to do about the Recluse when I get to Tennessee. Oh, Albuquerque had a big snow storm over the weekend. I measured 15" in my yard. It was a record for our area.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM

243 posts, read 622,150 times
Talking Recluse

So If Christmas ornaments are stored under the inside stairwell I should be aware that there could be recluse hiding in and around the boxes, am I right? In storage sheds, garages etc.? I have pulled up maps that show where recluse mrigrate and it looks like the tri-cities area is not included in the area. This does not surprise me that they are there? I have read articles that a few northeast county's in Tennessee do not have them. This is why I am asking these questions of you all. Afterall, you live there and know more then people who do the research. I tend to believe you more then some research group. Has anyone found them behind pictures on walls? Do you find them in and around your homes often? I worry about my dogs as they are miniture Dachshunds and it won't take much poision to kill them. One of them is agressive and would chase and try to kill copperheads. That would be all he worte!!!!!! He tries to kill the hose when it squiggles in the yard!!! I appreciate all the help.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 AM

61 posts, read 170,702 times
JMarkey, regarding coyotes. We have a lot of them in NE PA and other than getting some cats at night we've never had a problem. [i]HOWEVER[i], within the past couple of weeks I saw on the ABC news out of NY that there were two coyote attacks in NJ. One to a young boy (5 I believe) and the other to a small dog. Since they were unable to capture the coyote the boy is undergoing rabies shots. There is a high incidence of rabies in this area and I would suspect the reason for the attacks as there have been other attacks in this area from foxes with confirmed rabies within the last year.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM

572 posts, read 1,924,279 times
I read about the NJ attacks. If I remember correctly, they were in the same town and it may be the same coyote. Rabies treatment is probably called for, as that particular coyote (if it's the same one) seemed particularly aggressive.

We had coyotes in CT, but you just about never saw them. They seem a little bolder here. Oak Ridge has had a couple of daytime incidents and last summer they were all over the place during the day here in Clinton.

There are several states I've read about where rabies is higher than normal this year. It may be a cyclical thing. We had a big problem with rabid skunks in CT one summer. It will run through a whole community of certain animals and then you won't see them as often the next year, which is what happened with the skunks. The population builds back up by the following year. GA is having a higher than normal rabies problem with foxes and raccoons this year.

With the local coyotes and just about anything that could be a rabies carrier, common sense rules your day to day activities and your pets' routines. Rabies innoculations for pets are something you should be doing anyway. After dusk walks get curtailed. If one of my dogs HAS to go out after dark, I turn the spotlights on and check the yard before snapping a leash on them. Raccoons have started climbing the fence at night and they're pretty bold and easily aggravated, so I bring the birdfeeder in at night.

All that being said, I love living in the woods and really enjoy the wildlife around here. But we don't live in a Disney movie and you've got to use your head and give them their space. And no one gets fed except the birds.

When we lived in PA, bears were regular visitors, probably due to a lot of fruit trees and blueberry bushes. With the windows open at night, I could smell them out there. There may be some around, but I haven't seen any sign of them.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 AM

61 posts, read 170,702 times
Just thought I'd mention the NJ incident. Didn't know if you were aware of it or not. I've lived in the country all my life so nothing really bothers me. Just be aware.

Rabies were really bad around here a few years ago. The coyote population really exploded and the PA Game Commission now allows shooting 24/7, even over bait. We see very few skunks, opossums, raccoons now and I believe a lot has to do with the coyote population.

Lots of bears around.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM

111 posts, read 253,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
How common are the Brown Recluse in Tennessee? I am looking for a home in the Kingsport area with a basement or Tri-Level, what problems will I have with these spiders? What kind of treatment is used to rid a property of them, Both inside and out? I want a property with some land, maybe an acre or two. Will the woods present a bigger problem with these spiders?
The basement will not be where Fiddler Backs will look to live. They prefer dry places like old shoes, clothes, etc. I'm about an hour from you, been here all my life. Until the 80s there wern't any that I knew of and suddenly they appeared. 1st bite was on my elbow and didn't have a clue, neither did most of the area doctors but they saved it with a fairly large scar. About 5-7 years ago bite on the right hand but seen the little booger, small scar treatment was quick and easy. They are not agressive spiders, not like wolf spiders (not lethal). A quick shaking or cleaning of the closet and you should be ok. We have them in our house and I have not fear of them, let them crawl on my finger if they get in the way.
The woods may present a problem with Black Widows but only in damp places, woodpiles, fallen trees, barns, etc. Again they are not aggressive. Just remember that they bite from under their belly. My youngest daughter came in the house with one in the other day.
I would watch for Rattlers and Copperheads this year. I saw a Copperhead already this year and my wifes parents said their neighbor killed a Rattler already.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,386 times
Yeah, personally when one is reclocating to another state it should be perfectly acceptable to inquire about the insect population of the state in question.

I'm from Long Island here, conscidering moving to Eastern TN. Here on LI there are no poisoness snakes, spiders, cyotes, etc. The biggest worry here are deer ticks. I myself worry about walking through woods, going through boxes in another, swimming in a lake and discovering something of danger. I certiantly am not an insect lover! So in order to make an educated decision on the matter overall one must ask about the bug population!

However... the bug population definately isn't the only deciding factor!

I really find this forum to be very educational and helpful! I really couldn't find another website that answered alot of my quiestions liek this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee