Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 05:42 PM

738 posts, read 410,601 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Tenn and Kentucky to do some hiking and see some natural arches and bluff shelters / rock houses.

The first day of the trip we will visit Picket CCC State Park. My main interest in that park is to the see the Hazard Cave and the Indian rockhouse bluff shelters. Are there other large rock houses / bluff shelters in this area of Tenn that people recommend? I'd like to visit one as impressive as Cob Cave on the Lost Valley trail in Arkansas.

I can't find a list of the largest rock shelters in this country on the internet surprisingly.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 12-21-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 07:21 PM

The Indian Rock House (most rock houses seem to have this name) off the Honey Creek trail loop appears to be the big one that I was hoping for. Requires climbing a ladder to access.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:36 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,739,604 times
Window Cliffs just outside of Cookeville (about an hour from Pickett) has wonderful natural arches. The hike isn't easy, but it's beautiful and rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0sIsJdFIts

https://www.tn.gov/environment/progr...ow-cliffs.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-21-2020, 11:57 PM

902 posts, read 797,923 times
Here’s a place worth a visit. Nothing like it and about 50 min outside of Chattanooga in Pelham, TN. Cool history and formations. Staff there are equally cool. Video link explains more about the area.

The Caverns
Video Link

Old 12-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Thank you for the suggestions.

I plan to do a separate trip to TN to check out those, Fall Creek Falls state park, and the Signal & Edwards Point area of Chattanooga.

There appear to some decent rockhouses on the Hidden Passage trail at Picket State Park, and the nearby the Slave Falls loop trail and Middle Creek loop trail in the Big South Fork park.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:29 PM

I bought a book called 100 Trails of the Big South Fork.

Its index lists 5 rock shelters by name.

Dome Rock House (off Station Camp Road - this is a horse trail area so I will probably not do this one)
Hazard Cave (Pickett State Park)
Indian Rockhouse (Pickett State Park)
Indian Rock House (near Slave Falls)
Indian Rockhouse (near Honey Creek)

But the book mentions other rock shelters like ones on the Middle Creek nature trail near Twin Arches, the 'hidden passage' on Hidden Passage Trail in Picket State Park, and the one behind Yahoo Falls in Kentucky.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 12-31-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee