Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:26 AM

811 posts, read 2,009,308 times

Advertisements

We are from Baltimore and have been wanting to relocate to Eastern TN for years now-Things recently have just lined up right for us to go ahead and make the move--only problem is, my hubby can't find work!

A few year ago, we were looking at making the move, and he had a bunch of places interested-just so turned out that some other things came up and we needed to stay here a little longer.

He does MAintenance Supervision for apartments now, but can do all of the tech work involved-HVAC, Electrical, plumbing, etc--we have applied at just about every complex in Knoxville and surrounding, a bunch of appliance places (where his knowledge stems from) HVAC places...everywhere. He is getting discouraged thinking that people are just seeing that we are out of state, and moving on. I have a decent job that will go with me, but I dont think we can be daring enough to move down there on just my income-we have 3 little boys to think of. Any thoughts, ideas, anything anyone could give would be much appreciated! The Knox-forum folks have given us some good suggestions, but thought I would open it up to the whole board...

Thanks!

Last edited by mysticfire0213; 05-04-2008 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: typo :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
We are from Baltimore and have been wanting to relocate to Eastern TN for years now-Things recently have just lined up right for us to go ahead and make the move--only problem is, my hubby can't find work!

A few year ago, we were looking at making the move, and he had a bunch of places interested-just so turned out that some other things came up and we needed to stay here a little longer.

He does MAintenance Supervision for apartments now, but can do all of the tech work involved-HVAC, Electrical, plumbing, etc--we have applied at just about every complex in Knoxville and surrounding, a bunch of appliance places (where his knowledge stems from) HVAC places...everywhere. He is getting discouraged thinking that people are just seeing that we are out of state, and moving on. I have a decent job that will go with me, but I dont think we can be daring enough to move down there on just my income-we have 3 little boys to think of. Any thoughts, ideas, anything anyone could give would be much appreciated! The Knox-forum folks have given us some good suggestions, but thought I would open it up to the whole board...

Thanks!
Most of the people I have talked to on the board that just up and moved there (without a job) had a job within a week. I guess the locals only hire people who are committed to living in the area. We are doing the same thing when our time comes. I will have a job but my husband won't but we are not worried about it.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Tennessee has never been known for its abundance of jobs. That is one reason people have not moved here in the past. Just be persistant and try looking at different job markets for now.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,648 times
Where I work, we are very hesitant to hire people from out of state. The reason being, the few times we have done it in the past, they end up moving back "home" and we are out over $4000.00 for training.

I do think it would be a bit easier if you were already located here. BUt I can understand not wanting to move without a steady job lined up. I would get online and look at Bellsouth Yellow Pages (now AT&T) and look at businesses in the field he is interested in. Call the places and ask if they are hiring or even know anyone hiring in that field.

I wish I had a better solution. Unfortunately, with the way things are in the world right now, people are just having to be very careful about taking risks, even with hiring employees. You want to give people a chance, but you don't want to be 6 months down the road looking for another person because Jimmy went back to Michigan.

I wish you the best of luck and hope he does find something soon so you can get down here and enjoy this beautiful part of the country.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 22,512 times
I'm thinking here, "What would I do in that situation?" Well I'd probably go down to the UPS store in a neighboring town and rent a mailbox to establish a mailing address close by. Then I'd get a cell phone with a local phone number.. Then I'd use that phone and address on all my applications. Coordinate all responses to provide an interview on a single weekend when I am able to be present, perhaps do it once a month until I land a job.

They don't have to know that the address provided is not your home address or that the phone number provided is not your usual phone number. Too bad you already applied to most apartments in Knoxville already. Just a thought...well good luck.

jeff

Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 AM

127 posts, read 433,252 times
Hi, we're in the same boat. My husband is trying to find a job and we can't move untl he does cause I'm a sahm and we don't have money to live off till he finds one. My sister moved down to Knoxville in Dec. and has yet to find a job and almost out of money, I can not make that same mistake. I hope your husband can find a job asap. Good lcuk!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb415 View Post
I'm thinking here, "What would I do in that situation?" Well I'd probably go down to the UPS store in a neighboring town and rent a mailbox to establish a mailing address close by. Then I'd get a cell phone with a local phone number.. Then I'd use that phone and address on all my applications. Coordinate all responses to provide an interview on a single weekend when I am able to be present, perhaps do it once a month until I land a job.

They don't have to know that the address provided is not your home address or that the phone number provided is not your usual phone number. Too bad you already applied to most apartments in Knoxville already. Just a thought...well good luck.

jeff
Excellent advice!

Do what you have to to get a job, but do NOT move without a job. Times are tough right now, and it is this way all over the country. Have all your ducks in a row. Now is not the time to make big financial mistakes.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM

208 posts, read 605,009 times
I think actually establishing residency is a must if you are trying to land a job in any state, not just Tennessee.

When I was moving out of Florida and back to Tennessee, I set up interviews in Johnson City but I never got hired. It was very frustrating to say the least. It just makes sense that they would hire locals first (or those already nearby). I have some relatives in Wisconsin and it works the same way there too.

I saved up alot of money and luckily had a hefty savings account and moved back. I quickly established my Tennessee residency and had a job within two weeks.

But your chances are better in some of Tennessee's more urban areas. Some of the smaller towns and rural counties have certain families that run their areas, still not much different from other states either.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,536 times
Also it depends on what you do for a living. The medical field in East TN is booming.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,308 times
Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone! We dont have a huge amount of savings, and what we do have, we were hoping to use as our downpayment on a house--so it is VERY scary to try and move without a job for him--I know times are different, but it just wasnt this hard last time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee