Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 51,447 times

Advertisements

could any one out there give me some positive and neg. input on Rogersville. any web sights I could search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
What specific info are you looking for? Rogersville is a small historic town that has a downtown area of about 4 blocks that is on the national historic registry. It is in Hawkins county, here is the Hawkins County web site that is from the state site : http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/local/hawkins.html
Hawkins County is 487 sq. miles 3.3 sq. miles of that is Rogersville.
population of Rogersville in 2005 was 4,283 which showed only a 1% growth in 5 years. median age is 45.8. median household income is 23K (that was in 2000) however, in downtown, there are many VERY wealthy families.
It is also very political. There is a historical society that decides what goes on in town and what doesn't and they really can't agree on anything amongst themselves.
There is a super Wal-Mart, 3 grocery stores, a Goodies (clothing store) a few farm stores, a Big-Lots, Dollar General, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, several fast food chains, a few local owned restaurants and several local owned shops. There are several churches, the main denominations are Baptist and Methodist. However, there are churches for Catholic, Protestant, Seventh Day Adventist and Jehovah Whiteness.
You can check out City-Data Rogersville web site: http://www.city-data.com/city/Rogers...Tennessee.html
My parents live there and they love it, they have met some really nice people and they are always busy. The closest cities for major shopping are Kingsport to the east and Morristown to the west.
Hope that helps!

Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM

16 posts, read 51,447 times
Default Thanks a bunch

Yes that does help but any neg. aspects to the community?

Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
It is small, very inner political and the "good ol boy" network is strong. However if you are like myself and my folks, and you like to enjoy life and not be one of the "inner workings of the clock" so to speak, you won't really notice it.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:16 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,794 times
Default Hmmmm, negative aspects.

I think some would view having to go to Kingsport or Morristown (40 mins) for big Malls and franchise restraunts like Texas steakhouse, Chilis, and Ruby Tuesdays negative. I will be moving to Rogersville next August. Can not wait!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 62,301 times
I have been researching Greeneville, Rogersville, and Jonesborough,
Greeneville seems to have the most helpful sights,
Like www.greenevillesun.com
I found some info on housing in Greeneville and Rogerville.
I found a lot of double wides, with lots, I was hoping to find an older home with some character. With an acre of two.
I have not seen a lot of those.
Still Look'in,
still thinkin about them spiders though, when a basement is mentioned

Old 01-01-2007, 03:56 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyGurl View Post
still thinkin about them spiders though, when a basement is mentioned
funny, I think of spiders when my hubby wants a crawlspace. Guess we'll compromise and bug bomb occasionally

Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,540 times
I am from Rogersville, TN and I love it. Right now I am out of state and can't wait to go back home. One more thing about Rogersville, is that they have the very best fireworks. The kids call it Rogvegas.

I love looking at the pictures, I know all the places in the photos.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:50 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
could any one out there give me some positive and neg. input on Rogersville. any web sights I could search?
Go to the Google homepage, click on Images. In the search box, type in "Rogersville TN" and click on Search Images. There are hundreds of photos.

If you want to know what's in the town (like stores, churches, restaurants, etc.) go to an online phone directory website like WhitePages.com.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,537 times
Default negative etc

rogersville really depends on your age. i moved down here at 20. I'm not hedging onto 27. This is NOT a young persons town. when i moved here, you either got your butt up to kingsport or morristown to skate/bowl/dance/have a decent night out/roam around a mall OR you did what the local kids did and cruised..well..they've put a stop to that. soooo. the kids go party back on some hill, etc. there really isn't anything else to do if you're that young. I really wasn't keen on it at first, but was thankful that motown and kport where soooo close. Now that i'm married with a baby. its not soooo bad. there is the park which is rather nice (they are putting in a skate park i think), stores are close, and it seems to be a rather nice place to raise a child. I still hate how everything seems to be bad in this town..like them cutting down on the kids cruising around, sitting in the parking lots. you get a lot of the older retired crowd complaining about the younger crowds doings..but the older crowd isn't willing to give them anything to do. a lot of the people ARE closeminded and rude. i've worked a few different places around here...and..i'll tell you..you see all types. meth labs ARE a thing, don't let anyone kid you that they aren't...walmart employees actucally found a bag of meth left once....it was probably being used as a drop off spot. but, i've said enough about the bad. every small town is gonna be this way to an extent...heck, i came from an even smaller town. i will say that after 7 years..its grown on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee