U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 12,790 times

Advertisements

Good Morning:

My family and I are currently exploring options to move to a new state, with Tennessee being a prime candidate. Currently we live in a very affluent suburb in Fairfield County, CT.

We are currently planning on visiting Tennessee this summer and need a little help narrowing down towns that might be of interest to us. A little background:

1. We are a large family with 5 children under the age of 12. Our kids are generally very bright, so good school systems are important, but in particular we would like a school system where kids can be challenged. Private schools are also an option, so long as they are not outrageously expensive. Where we live currently, good private K-12 schools can run $40k+ per year per kid, which is too much.

2. We'd like to be somewhere in the vicinity of a good hospital system for kids, just in case.

3. I can generally work remotely so location isn't a huge issue, but I might open an office where I am anyway.

4. Our housing budget is $1.5-2.5M. We generally like more traditional homes with character, but are not totally averse to new build.

5. For my work, being somewhere near other professionals is a plus. We currently live in a very affluent town and we have fairly high HHI, but the people in the town are not for us (principally this is manifested in the schools more than anything).

6. We are very conservative politically, which comes into conflict with #5 as our current town is very liberal even for the Northeast. Ideally, we'd like a higher income town that is on the conservative end of the spectrum. That said, given that Tennessee is far more conservative politically overall than Connecticut, we'd be okay in a moderate town as well given the overall vibe of the state.

7. We may in the near-ish future buy a second home in Europe, so being near an international airport is helpful (say, within 2-3 hours) but not a deal-breaker.

8. Finally, we tend to prefer colder weather to hotter, so if, for example, being in Knoxville is at least noticeably cooler than Chattanooga, we might prefer that.

I am happy to do a deep dive on the Tennessee subforums, but I'd like to try to get a handle on particular counties/areas and towns that would be good starting points for more detailed research.

Many thanks in advance to any advice and recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 12:52 PM

111 posts, read 108,973 times
I would suggest looking into Franklin, TN.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:02 PM

644 posts, read 619,627 times
Being near an international airport pretty much limits you to the Nashville area. Nashville's airport is about twice as busy as all the other commercial airports in Tennessee (Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Tri Cities, Jackson) combined. It's the only one with nonstop service to Europe (British Airways to London) and to three different Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary) and on two different airlines (Air Canada and WestJet).

The Belle Meade/Forest Hills area of Nashville would be my first recommendation since you don't mind paying private school tuition and prefer more traditional homes with character. Brentwood/Franklin would be another recommendation. But if you want slightly cooler weather, I'd also check out Cookeville which is an hour east of the Nashville airport and has a surprising amount of very upscale housing with very good schools, gorgeous countryside, and a very family friendly vibe.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:38 PM

7,221 posts, read 16,052,575 times
Affluence will primarily be found in the Nashville metro. I agree with looking at Franklin or potentially some higher-income inner city neighborhoods but I lack the in-depth knowledge to make specific neighborhood recommendations.

If you feel that you would be better served being positioned closer to Atlanta's airport than Nashville's, then probably the only other recommendation in Tennessee would be Chattanooga. Your housing budget would go very, very far in Chattanooga and there is a pretty small (relatively) but strong entrepreneurial/tech vibe in the city. I would have to say that Chattanooga as a city is probably one of the more progressive cities in the state, but like you said, it's Tennessee, so Hamilton County and especially surrounding counties are pretty conservative, I'd think.

I'd avoid Knoxville. It's a fine city, but if you have no ties there, it's somewhat boring overall, and feels very small town.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:41 PM

9,208 posts, read 7,896,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Being near an international airport pretty much limits you to the Nashville area. Nashville's airport is about twice as busy as all the other commercial airports in Tennessee (Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Tri Cities, Jackson) combined. It's the only one with nonstop service to Europe (British Airways to London) and to three different Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary) and on two different airlines (Air Canada and WestJet).

The Belle Meade/Forest Hills area of Nashville would be my first recommendation since you don't mind paying private school tuition and prefer more traditional homes with character. Brentwood/Franklin would be another recommendation. But if you want slightly cooler weather, I'd also check out Cookeville which is an hour east of the Nashville airport and has a surprising amount of very upscale housing with very good schools, gorgeous countryside, and a very family friendly vibe.
This is great advice ^. Brentwood/Franklin and Bell Meade/Forest Hills are very forested with nice homes in your price range. Great schools and amenities as well. Some thoroughfares to consider:

Harding Rd/70 South, Old Hickory Boulevard/254, Granny White Pike, Concord Rd, Clovercroft Rd, Lynnwood Way, Tyne Boulevard, Murray Lane etc.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 PM

16,102 posts, read 30,917,653 times
Definitely received some good advice ^.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:54 PM

11 posts, read 12,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'd avoid Knoxville. It's a fine city, but if you have no ties there, it's somewhat boring overall, and feels very small town.
Thanks to all who have posted and provided advice. I am looking into all of it!

I did want to ask why you recommend to avoid Knoxville? I don't particularly mind the small town vibe, though I will say that my wife probably prefers more amenities and action than I do, though she's not really a big city person either.

Knoxville to me seems at least somewhat comparable to Stamford, CT, which is near us. Realistically, given our large family it's not like we are taking advantage of nightlife often anyway. Knoxville seems to provide more than enough for us to stay entertained.

Any specific downsides to Knoxville that I am missing? When I started looking at Tennessee I was initially drawn to the Knoxville area in part because I am concerned about the growth and potential pace of change in the Nashville area.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:18 AM

38,206 posts, read 24,059,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBassH97 View Post
Good Morning:

My family and I are currently exploring options to move to a new state, with Tennessee being a prime candidate. Currently we live in a very affluent suburb in Fairfield County, CT.

We are currently planning on visiting Tennessee this summer and need a little help narrowing down towns that might be of interest to us. A little background:

1. We are a large family with 5 children under the age of 12. Our kids are generally very bright, so good school systems are important, but in particular we would like a school system where kids can be challenged. Private schools are also an option, so long as they are not outrageously expensive. Where we live currently, good private K-12 schools can run $40k+ per year per kid, which is too much.

2. We'd like to be somewhere in the vicinity of a good hospital system for kids, just in case.

3. I can generally work remotely so location isn't a huge issue, but I might open an office where I am anyway.

4. Our housing budget is $1.5-2.5M. We generally like more traditional homes with character, but are not totally averse to new build.

5. For my work, being somewhere near other professionals is a plus. We currently live in a very affluent town and we have fairly high HHI, but the people in the town are not for us (principally this is manifested in the schools more than anything).

6. We are very conservative politically, which comes into conflict with #5 as our current town is very liberal even for the Northeast. Ideally, we'd like a higher income town that is on the conservative end of the spectrum. That said, given that Tennessee is far more conservative politically overall than Connecticut, we'd be okay in a moderate town as well given the overall vibe of the state.

7. We may in the near-ish future buy a second home in Europe, so being near an international airport is helpful (say, within 2-3 hours) but not a deal-breaker.

8. Finally, we tend to prefer colder weather to hotter, so if, for example, being in Knoxville is at least noticeably cooler than Chattanooga, we might prefer that.

I am happy to do a deep dive on the Tennessee subforums, but I'd like to try to get a handle on particular counties/areas and towns that would be good starting points for more detailed research.

Many thanks in advance to any advice and recommendations.
The good part is with your budget you can likely afford to live most anywhere you like in TN. I just returned from a 2-week vacation there and bought a house, will be moving shortly for retirement. Much of the state is beautiful, at least from what I saw.

It'll really help to know just a little more about what you're looking for. Do you want to live in a city, a suburban area, or a rural area on some acreage? Will you be work-from-home? Do you want to be near the mountains/lakes/outdoor activities.

My impressions for what little they are worth from a brief visit. The area along the Eastern border are prettier and more hilly than in the more central part of the state. Nashville didn't appeal to me-too flat, lower elevation, hotter and more humid. But then, I'm a country boy that loves the mountains/lakes/rivers and have no interest in city live or amenities. I found the Townsend area (small town) to be beautiful and appealing, but outside of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (way too touristy), most of the Eastern part was really pretty. People are wonderful everywhere we went. We only spent minimal time there, but I found the area NE of Johnson City to be beautiful and very desirable for what I was looking for. But-not much was available in my budget (considerably less than yours) on acreage.

OK, so I really contributed nothing of value, but I'd like to wish you good luck in your search. Best thing you can do is take some vacation time and get to know the area. If you're in the NE it's a short enough drive to do a few visits.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 PM

135 posts, read 179,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBassH97 View Post
Any specific downsides to Knoxville that I am missing? When I started looking at Tennessee I was initially drawn to the Knoxville area in part because I am concerned about the growth and potential pace of change in the Nashville area.
Knoxville is known for its inconvenient and expensive flights. We drive to Charlotte NC or Nashville from our location in NE Tennessee. This is pretty inconvenient as it took us 25 minutes to get to the airport in Austin TX from our previous location.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:33 AM

4,690 posts, read 24,256,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
Knoxville is known for its inconvenient and expensive flights. We drive to Charlotte NC or Nashville from our location in NE Tennessee. This is pretty inconvenient as it took us 25 minutes to get to the airport in Austin TX from our previous location.
It really depends on where you are flying. When we are booking flights we take into consideration the driving time to Nashville (2.5 hrs), cost of parking (here we have a neighbor take us), and the possibility of an overnight stay (for early flights) and weigh that into the fare difference. Sometimes we will fly out of Nashville, but most of the time, we fly out of Knoxville. Its not always as simple as just the fare difference. Its worth a lot to me not to add 5 hours driving time to my life

MY daughter flies Alligent a lot out of Knoxville, the fares are very inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee