Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 01:45 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times

Advertisements

Question about possibly looking to move to Tennessee. Outside of Nashville what city do you think is the best city to look for jobs in the healthcare field?

Look forward to the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 02:21 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
RNs and front line people are sorely needed everywhere. What are you looking for?

Old 08-15-2021, 02:35 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
RNs and front line people are sorely needed everywhere. What are you looking for?
Just looking really. Just moved to NC little over a year ago. We like North Carolina it just not we aren't sure if we love it yet. The housing market doesn't seem terrible in TN and job wise pay is the same as NC. TN is more tax friendly than NC.

Nashville seems to have drawbacks for us that Charlotte had. Too expensive and too crowded.

Looking for an area that's not crowded, decent rush hour traffic, city not over 500 thousand, access to zoo/aquarium/museums, parks/greenways, close to places to hike/camp/mountain bike/fish/run (marathons), and decent suburbs with decent school system for family. Close to higher education facilities. Able to find a 3 bed 2 bath for about $300 thousand or less. Farmers markets or co-ops (Have a year round outdoor/indoor market near where we currently live.)

Living in Greensboro now it's decent place. Just homes in NC are expensive and pay is rising but slowly.

As far as politics go we don't pay much mind to politics.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:05 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Just looking really. Just moved to NC little over a year ago. We like North Carolina it just not we aren't sure if we love it yet. The housing market doesn't seem terrible in TN and job wise pay is the same as NC. TN is more tax friendly than NC.

Nashville seems to have drawbacks for us that Charlotte had. Too expensive and too crowded.

Looking for an area that's not crowded, decent rush hour traffic, city not over 500 thousand, access to zoo/aquarium/museums, parks/greenways, close to places to hike/camp/mountain bike/fish/run (marathons), and decent suburbs with decent school system for family. Close to higher education facilities. Able to find a 3 bed 2 bath for about $300 thousand or less. Farmers markets or co-ops (Have a year round outdoor/indoor market near where we currently live.)

Living in Greensboro now it's decent place. Just homes in NC are expensive and pay is rising but slowly.

Do you need to live in a big city? I ask because the closest town to where I live, Cookeville, pretty much has what you're looking for minus the zoo and aquarium. But we're a smidgeon over an hour from Nashville (zoo) and Chattanooga (aquarium). Cookeville is smack in the middle of gorgeous countryside with over 100 waterfalls within 40 minutes of town as well as something like 40,000 acres of lakes and a bunch of rivers with around a dozen state parks and a national recreation area. Lots of mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, boating, jetskiing, etc. Plus it's super family friendly with a children's museum, children's library, award-winning children's theater, children's orchestra, and outstanding public schools. One of a handful of school districts in the state to have the International Baccalaureate at both the middle and high school levels. Plus, it's home to the state's flagship tech university and also has a community college. Being the health care hub for the region, there's lots of health care jobs in the area. And there are several farmers markets in town and a wonderful, year-round all organic food co-op.

It's also much more affordable than Nashville. And with zero traffic.

Here's a sampling of homes that have sold in the last few weeks for less than $300k to give you an idea what the area is like:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...81213330_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...41991946_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...81314618_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41995007_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41995306_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...41997784_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...4445528_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41987406_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...1988587_zpid/?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-15-2021, 04:09 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,987 times
Memphis is the 2nd best city in the state for health care jobs, and with St. Jude, can make a strong push at being better than Nashville in certain aspects.

Memphis is a bit larger than 500K, but ticks off all of your other boxes. If you want something smaller or closer to the mountains, Knoxville wouldn't be a bad option.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:

You really need to do more due diligence on healthcare pay.

I work for the big regional hospital system in upper northeast TN. We had a TON of clinical and nonclinical staff bail out to the Triad to work for Wake Forest Baptist Health a few years ago. At the time, pay/benefits/etc., were supposedly much better than in this region, but from what I've heard, Wake Forest IT jobs were either merged or sent elsewhere, and many of those folks I know were left holding the bag.

I wouldn't trust WFBC over Ballad or any other hospital system in east TN. I doubt they are more stable.

Greensboro is cheap, and close to Raleigh. Even JC's housing market is likely more expensive now.

Zoo/aquarium/museum implies bigger cities. Not east TN.

Send me a message on healthcare stuff if you want. I'm an insider.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:57 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You really need to do more due diligence on healthcare pay.

I work for the big regional hospital system in upper northeast TN. We had a TON of clinical and nonclinical staff bail out to the Triad to work for Wake Forest Baptist Health a few years ago. At the time, pay/benefits/etc., were supposedly much better than in this region, but from what I've heard, Wake Forest IT jobs were either merged or sent elsewhere, and many of those folks I know were left holding the bag.

I wouldn't trust WFBC over Ballad or any other hospital system in east TN. I doubt they are more stable.

Greensboro is cheap, and close to Raleigh. Even JC's housing market is likely more expensive now.

Zoo/aquarium/museum implies bigger cities. Not east TN.

Send me a message on healthcare stuff if you want. I'm an insider.
So what are you saying? Are healthcare jobs better or worse in east TN than NC? Your post kinda jumped topics between pay and housing costs.

We have mulled over a relocation to east TN after I retire from the .mil. (wife is an RN) but she already knows the move would mean a pay cut coming from TX. The move is still years away, so I'm just curious about the healthcare landscape there in TN for cursory research.

Last edited by hindsight2020; 08-16-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
So what are you saying? Are healthcare jobs better or worse in east TN than NC? Your post kinda jumped topics between pay and housing costs.

We have mulled over a relocation to east TN after I retire from the .mil. (wife is an RN) but she already knows the move would mean a pay cut coming from TX. The move is still years away, so I'm just curious about the healthcare landscape there in TN for cursory research.
The big issue is that, north and east of Morristown, you have one hospital system. There's no competition, so the wages tend to remain low and there are few choices in where you can work. There are a handful of independent physicians, physician practices, etc., but by and large, it's the hospital system or bust.

Pre-COVID, starting wages for an RN/BSN was $18-$19/hr. Knoxville and Asheville generally pay around $25/hr. This leads to a lot of younger nurses getting a couple years experience here, then bailing out for a higher paying market. It's also difficult to attract providers to a rural area with a lot of negative health metrics.

From the clinical side, I can name at least a dozen people I know personally who have been referred to Knoxville (UT Medical Center), Nashville (Vanderbilt), Raleigh (Duke), or Charlottesville (UVA Medical center) for things that are too complicated to treat locally.

If you aren't clinical, it's typical big employer work. I'm in a work from home IT role. My pay is good for the local area, but it's not quite big city pay.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:25 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
Quote:
Everything in this paragraph describes Chattanooga, including hosting everything up to ironman triathlons locally.

The school system is run by the county, so the differentiation between schools is all in the parents and students. Schools in "better" areas have parents that place a higher value on public education, so those schools are "better" by default because of parent/student involvement. A couple of magnet schools routinely make top national lists, but are very hard to get into.

Fastest public internet in the world (EPB-Fiber).

Higher education includes University of Tennessee - Chattanooga campus and several comm colleges. TN has a program where comm colleges have free tuition in certain circumstances.

All that said... there are frequent articles about management/ownership problems with a few of the local hospitals. Erlanger, specifically. I don't know if those types of problems are typical of large hospitals or if Erlanger is special. If you're looking for a hospital job, do your research first. If you're looking for something in private practice, those are all over the place.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:11 AM

367 posts, read 584,749 times
Murfreesboro might be worth a look. St Thomas hospital is there along with a VA hospital. You could get a house in your price range there and it's about 30 minutes away from Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee