U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:12 PM

1,933 posts, read 5,684,110 times

Advertisements

I read the post by the guy that said something along the lines that it is hard to know exactly what is going to make you happy, when you make a move.

Ever since I was a little girl, and I am talking 9 years old, I have wanted to live up the mountains, in a small town. Actually on a farm. Of course this was the mountains/farms of PA at the time since I lived in PA. I think I enjoyed watching The Waltons, and Little House on the Prairie, and always wishing I lived that type of life.

Well, life doesn't go as planned, so I have yet to live in that kind of environment. But I haven't stopped dreaming, adn because I know that the place we're at now might only be temporary...I am thinking if I can acquire that dream.

Watching my X-Mas present of the first three seasons of Smallville..it is reminding me of what I have wanted since I was a little girl (and no, not superhumans walking around).

I want to live in a small town where everyone knows your name. You could go into the little section of "downtown" and put names to faces. I want that older country house that might not look like my neighbors, or be in some kind of community with HOA. I want a white picket fence around my little bit of land. No I don't want a farm. Just a nice country town where I could envision myself growing old at...and raising my children who might in turn raise their children in this town...and I can pass my house down through generations. And yes, if I can get beautiful scenery and mild weather to boot...that's great too.

Does such a town exist in East Tennessee? Possibly Greeneville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 74,820 times
I lived in friendly neighborhoods like that in North Carolina but not a whole town.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
Default Smallville

Hi, I live in a little town called Gainesboro in TN. If I go to the grocery store in town it takes me 30 minutes to get home because everyone knows everyone and stops to talk. If your police scanner goes off it is usually someone you know . The only thing I don't like is there are only two grocery stores, and three or four small places to eat. A place called Fayes Cafe is the hangout for breakfast on weekends and has great food. We go there on Saturday or Sunday morning and the same people are always there catching up on what happened to who over the weekend. The courthouse blew a light bulb and because it was raining someone saw smoke and thought the courthouse was on fire so the rescue squad, fire and ambulances showed up. In 5 minutes everyone was in town until you could'nt drive through and everyone else was on the phone telling neighbors that the courthouse was on fire. People walk past my house at all times of the night. If I sit on the porch at least 5 neighbors stop by to chat. I am single and feel very safe sitting out in my carport grilling at night. I love it here but I was raised in Cookeville and that is about 20 minutes away and I hate driving that far to eat and shop.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM

13 posts, read 29,503 times
i was reading your email this sounds like a great place we are looking to move somewere like this are there nursing homes there i am a nursing assistant and my husband is a finishcarpenter?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 PM

90 posts, read 264,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I read the post by the guy that said something along the lines that it is hard to know exactly what is going to make you happy, when you make a move.

Ever since I was a little girl, and I am talking 9 years old, I have wanted to live up the mountains, in a small town. Actually on a farm. Of course this was the mountains/farms of PA at the time since I lived in PA. I think I enjoyed watching The Waltons, and Little House on the Prairie, and always wishing I lived that type of life.

Well, life doesn't go as planned, so I have yet to live in that kind of environment. But I haven't stopped dreaming, adn because I know that the place we're at now might only be temporary...I am thinking if I can acquire that dream.

Watching my X-Mas present of the first three seasons of Smallville..it is reminding me of what I have wanted since I was a little girl (and no, not superhumans walking around).

I want to live in a small town where everyone knows your name. You could go into the little section of "downtown" and put names to faces. I want that older country house that might not look like my neighbors, or be in some kind of community with HOA. I want a white picket fence around my little bit of land. No I don't want a farm. Just a nice country town where I could envision myself growing old at...and raising my children who might in turn raise their children in this town...and I can pass my house down through generations. And yes, if I can get beautiful scenery and mild weather to boot...that's great too.

Does such a town exist in East Tennessee? Possibly Greeneville?
Well here I am again reading your tread. Your life dreams sound alot like mine. I do not live on a farm but in Charleston, TN. I grew up in the country of South Carolina and like to visit the big cities but would never want to live in one. I have the best of both worlds here in Charleston. It is like living in the country but in reality my home is in the city limits. There is a small park a block from my house. The high school is 2 miles away and the elem. school is on the main drag of town. It is a very small town of less than a 1000 people. It is located 10 miles from Cleveland and WalMart is right up the road. When I first move here the town Sheriff came to my yard sale. The local veg. stand is two blocks from my house. We have a grocery store, Family Dollar, Dollar General and two gas stations. Emergercy Vet. hospital is on the main drag across the street from my house. The Antique Alley Yard Sale that is held every years runs straight though the town. This is the Highway 11 yard sales that run from Alabama to up toward Virginia. IF you are a country girl you would love this area. Cleveland has several nice places to eat and Athens Tn. is just north of Charleston and also has good shopping and good food. Charleston is also located 4 miles from I-75 and is a easy commute to Chattanooga where I work. You would be just a short drive up to Oocee for a nice day in the mountains. This area really has alot of offer. I am going to miss it when I leave but I really want to be near my kids more now that all my kids have grown up and move away.
This area is very family oriented.
Good luck and if I can help with your job situation let me know.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 3 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times
A question...If you have never lived in that environment, would you really like it?

I know that you live in Naples, FL now, which is so far from from your ideal that it is mind-boggling. Do you truly HATE Naples?

You see, I came from small town up north. I never lived in a town of more than 14,000. When I moved to Florida, I was in for a huge culture shock. I HATED it.

The other consideration is, when you move to that small idyllic town, you still have to be employed. From what I have gathered, you are a teacher and your husband is a postal worker. Unfortunately, you have to take that into account.

I would love that sort of town, but we still had to worry about employment.

Still, my husband is an auto mechanic. He can work ALMOST anywhere. He had a stellar resume and is fabulous at what he does (I know, I worked with him before I dated him, and heard the bosses rave!), and he had to get through the good-old-boy network.

I do customer service, and can get a job in most places, and I had a horrible time finding a job. Fortunately, I found a job doing tech support, which is what I really am great at, but it was very lean times until I found that job. Until then, I couldn't get a job filing.

Living in small towns, I always thought I would love more populated area. After ten years of that, I was ready for a nervous breakdown.

We are what we are.

I'd love to have a loft in New York City. Then I wake up.

Something to consider?

Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 AM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota32 View Post
i was reading your email this sounds like a great place we are looking to move somewere like this are there nursing homes there i am a nursing assistant and my husband is a finishcarpenter?
Gainesboro is a really nice little town. It's got several great little antique shops in its downtown. There aren't many jobs in Gainesboro, though, I think the town has a population of fewer than 900 and hasn't had a new house built in the city since 1996. But it's less than 20 minutes from booming Cookeville, which is pretty much where everyone in Gainesboro works, shops, eats out, etc.

There are some nice pictures of Gainesboro at its city-data site:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Gainesboro-Tennessee.html

Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 AM

48 posts, read 88,060 times
We currently live in south Florida and absolutely hate it. When I grew up here this was a small town area with hunting, fishing, accessable beaches not littered with condiminiums. Now it is a city with 130,000 population. We recently purchased 18-1/2 acres in Baileyton, Tn, which is very close to Greeneville. The area is absolutely beautiful. The cost of the property was less that what a 1/4 acre lot costs in SE Florida. With the national forest covering about 1/3 of the county it will never be too overgrown. There is also plenty to do with the tri-cities 1/2 hour os so away and knoxville not that far either. Low crime, nice weather, country living, low costs and lots of country music. Ya can't beat it.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM

657 posts, read 1,716,279 times
Default gainesboro, charleston,cleveland

would any of these places have rentals for less than $650 a month

Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
would any of these places have rentals for less than $650 a month
For $650/month you could probably rent a mansion in Gainesboro! I don't think you'd have any problems at all finding a clean, comfortable place in Jackson County (Gainesboro) for less--a LOT less--than $650/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee