Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 13,828 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are hitting Bonnaroo music festival for the first time. We're coming over from the UK, and are both (extremely) novice campers (read utterly clueless). I'm petrified of scorpions, my friend's terrified of snakes and spiders. Understandably, we have some mild concerns.

Can anyone help to appease our worries please? Are there any tips for dealing with creepie crawlies and bugs in general and is there anything in particular we should watch out for or be aware of? I don't really know anything about mosquitos, we don't have them here... What's the best way to make sure we don't get eaten alive? Also, any non-bug related tips for the festival?

Should the weather be decent while we're there as well? We've been checking weather updates daily online, but it doesn't look very promising. Will it be ridiculously hot by the time Bonnaroo rolls around?

We're staying in Nashville for a few nights as well, and wondered if anyone has any tips of highlights or absolute must-sees. We'll probably never get to make this trip again, so we really want to get the most out of it while we're there and would appreciate any pointers at all please! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki Rooney View Post
My friend and I are hitting Bonnaroo music festival for the first time. We're coming over from the UK, and are both (extremely) novice campers (read utterly clueless). I'm petrified of scorpions, my friend's terrified of snakes and spiders. Understandably, we have some mild concerns.

Can anyone help to appease our worries please? Are there any tips for dealing with creepie crawlies and bugs in general and is there anything in particular we should watch out for or be aware of? I don't really know anything about mosquitos, we don't have them here... What's the best way to make sure we don't get eaten alive? Also, any non-bug related tips for the festival?

Should the weather be decent while we're there as well? We've been checking weather updates daily online, but it doesn't look very promising. Will it be ridiculously hot by the time Bonnaroo rolls around?

We're staying in Nashville for a few nights as well, and wondered if anyone has any tips of highlights or absolute must-sees. We'll probably never get to make this trip again, so we really want to get the most out of it while we're there and would appreciate any pointers at all please! Thank you!
Welcome to Tennessee!

Coming from the UK, you might be a little overwhelmed by the hot, muggy summer weather. Be sure to drink a lot of water.

Camping can be a lot of fun, and as a general rule there aren't THAT many bugs when you go camping around here. And forget about scorpions, those are pretty much confined to the deserts.

Get some bug spray such as Off, it'll keep the mosquitos and everything else off of you. You can get it in a spray form or as a lotion, and you can pick it up just about everywhere: grocery stores, pharmacies, Wal-Mart, convenience stores.

In Nashville, be sure to visit the Country Music Hall of Fame. Even if you don't like country music, it's fun to experience and read about some of the legends in American music. There are some fun night clubs with live music in downtown Nashville that tourists seem to enjoy. You might also want to take in a performance at the Grand Ole Opry which will be a completely different, more sedate experience from Bonnaroo.

I hope you and your friend have a wonderful time in Tennessee!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Quote:

Can anyone help to appease our worries please? Are there any tips for dealing with creepie crawlies and bugs in general and is there anything in particular we should watch out for or be aware of? I don't really know anything about mosquitos, we don't have them here... What's the best way to make sure we don't get eaten alive?
I've never made it down to Bonnaroo but I can assure you that you'll see no scorpions and almost certainly no snakes while you're there; you & your friend have absolutely nothing to worry about. You'll encounter no dangerous spiders, either, though you'll probably see harmless ones while camping. Just keep your tent zipped up & you'll have no problems or freak-outs w/ any creepy crawlies.

The only real nuisance will probably be mosquitoes during the evenings. Buy some DEET-based insect repellent (spray, lotion or wipes; Cutter's a good brand) and you'll be well protected. Try to get one that's 20-30% DEET.

Quote:
Impossible to know for sure, but count on it being hot & sunny most days with a possible shower or two. The average high in Manchester in mid-June is 81 degrees F (27 C), but it was extraordinarily hot during last year's event with highs in the mid-90s (35-36 C). Most importantly be sure to stay hydrated, wear a hat and slather yourself generously w/ sunscreen (at least SPF 30).

Some camping tips from Bonnaroo veterans:

Bonnaroo Camping Checklist: Things you will need
Bonnaroo Community: View forum - Camping and Facilities
Bonnaroo survival guide
Bonnaroo FAQ

Two last bits of advice: Practice setting up your tent before you get to Bonnaroo, and be sure to put a plastic tarp beneath it. Hope y'all have a great time in Tennessee!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,969 times
Bring a LARGE beach-type umbrella... then you will have it for shade if the sun shines, or a little protection from rain if that should happen. Also bring plenty of patience. The traffic is horrendous near the Bonnaroo site.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 PM

44 posts, read 421,153 times
I think every year on that week end it is ridiculously hot and it rains. I always see the messy muddy people on TV.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:

For your time in Nashville, go to the Tennessee Vacation website (state tourism website) June calendar:

Tennessee Vacation - Calendar (http://www.tnvacation.com/calendar/2008/June/ - broken link)

and look for Nashville events on the days you will be visiting. Keep hitting NEXT at the bottom of each page to see more pages. Some events are free.

It's already hot.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 13,828 times
Thank you all for your help. How naive are we? We thought we'd get eaten alive by creatures the moment we stepped off the plane.

We're really excited now. Thank you all again for your tips, we really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: