Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,150,994 times

Advertisements

Do yall have any info on NW TN? Maybe some info on Tiptonville, Ridgely, Union City, Dyersburg or even South Fulton? Whats the best on crime, land/ house prices (Looking for 30+ acres- rough price estimate?), and growth. We're really looking for a nice, quiet, small town where there is pretty cheap land prices in general... Is there such thing as owning land on the Mississippi River up there or is it too expensive- Ive driven through the area a couple of times and it just looks like farmland. Are there any houses or anything? We were looking for a nice older home to restore, but whatever. Thanks so much for yalls help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
Do yall have any info on NW TN? Maybe some info on Tiptonville, Ridgely, Union City, Dyersburg or even South Fulton? Whats the best on crime, land/ house prices (Looking for 30+ acres- rough price estimate?), and growth. We're really looking for a nice, quiet, small town where there is pretty cheap land prices in general... Is there such thing as owning land on the Mississippi River up there or is it too expensive- Ive driven through the area a couple of times and it just looks like farmland. Are there any houses or anything? We were looking for a nice older home to restore, but whatever. Thanks so much for yalls help!!!

Hi TN-rox... You can pull up each of those cities at city-data.com and it will give you the specifics on population, avg. income, crime, weather, etc...
I am not familiar with that area, but I pulled up realtor.com and put in" Union City, TN " and then did an advanced search to pull up all the cities you mentioned, with 30+ acres. It came up with 5 exact matches and alot more that weren't exact. Here are the top 5 results...
59,500 for 51.5 acres in Union City
199,500 for 30 acres in Tiptonville
399,000 for 291.42 acres in Union City
445,500 for 66 acres in Union City
2,750,000 for 275 acres in Tiptonville
The prices seem to be all over the place. And there were alot of others, so you might want to check and see.
Also, you might want to post this question on the Memphis board too since it is the closest big city to those areas.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe this will get you started.

Last edited by fallfanatic; 05-27-2008 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
TN-rox --

I'm familiar with much of NW Tennessee. Weakley County would be most attractive to me if I were planning to move to that part of the state. Martin is a nice (and slowly growing) town; it is home to UT-Martin, which gives the town a few more cultural and entertainment opportunities. Dresden is a nice smaller town nearby. Both are within a short driving distance of Jackson, Murray, and Paducah, all of which have a few more things to do.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM

264 posts, read 1,150,994 times
Thanks for yalls help!!! Does anyone know anything more? Thanks sooo much!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 18,484 times
The reason fallfanatic's land prices were all over the place is because the more expensive land was farmland. 2.75 million for 275 acres is bottom land on/near the river. Otherwise land is around 2k per acre, sometimes less.Land in west Tn is very cheap UNLESS its farmland.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 15,784 times
Does anyone know anything about the area around Dover? we are both 60 and very active and want to have an active retirement life. We enjoy fishing, motorcycling, relaxing, listening to good music, eating good food, meeting nice, friendly folks........we are looking to find a house with "good bones" that we might renovate....a few acres would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other places to retire in Tennessee? Is the humidity brutal in NW Tennessee?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Union city doesn't have much of a night life, but its pretty good to raise a family there. Dyersburg has more going on and you're closer to Memphis. Tiptonville is hick town, nothing there except reel foot.

Martin is OK in weakly county, but I'd live indersden an drive o martin if that's what you like.

I'm from union city, so more input in what you're looking for would help

Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Yeah, I know this thread is about five years old but I'll answer anyways. I've lived in north west TN all my life. Dyersburg, Martin, Union City or Tiptonville: there's not much going on there. Little to no night life to speak of.

Martin is a college town but sure doesn't feel like one. Not that many restaurants or other things you would expect to find in a college town. Nearly all the students drive home for the weekend.

Union City is getting Discovery Park soon, so there's that. And there's a huge Harley, Yamaha, Honda, Victory, Polaris dealership in Union City. And a VF Factory Outlet. Otherwise there's no reason to drive here. Oh and if you're going through U.C. - look out! There are traffic cameras at most major intersections now. Run a red light or speed through an intersection and you'll be getting a ticket in the mail in a few weeks.

I lived in Dyersburg for about 25 years. There are no good restaurants to speak of although they did just get a Chick-fil-a and a Cracker Barrel. They used to host a huge Little League Baseball tournament across from the fairgrounds. And there's a fair, usually in September if I remember right. I moved out of Dyersburg a few years back and I never go back except to visit family. There's just no reason to. It's just one of those small towns that people like me can't wait to get out of.

Tiptonville is the smallest of the towns mentioned. They have a Sonic now and a DQ that is closed for the winter. They have 2 gas stations, a prison and and a high school. But now I'm starting to repeat myself. Unless you're going to Reelfoot or are just out riding your motorcycle, there's no reason to go there.

I don't know much about Dover but it isn't Dyersburg so that's a plus in my book.

As far as humidity, what are you used to? I grew up here so I'm used to it. I think it's less than some place like south Florida. But if you're coming from AZ or NH you might be in for a shock.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
The Mississippi River floods frequently and, when left to its own devices, even moves from one low lying channel to another. The state boundaries are based off of surveys from the 1800s, so it's present location isn't even the exact state line anymore. Flood plains are good farm land, but it's not where you want your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee