U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,870,605 times
Default Clarksville, Beaver Canoe Paddles-History??

GANG: Wife scored nice free barn find from music friend today. Two different wood classic canoe paddles. One is very dark red ( cherry or mahagony?) with metal cap around the tip ? 1940's?
.. Second light color paddle is stamped with a logo "BEAVER Paddle & Oar,
Leatherwood mfg co, CLARKSVILLE, TENN. . No real hits from a web Search.
Any member have any HISTORY of this boating company, still in business.??
THANKS. . Oval picture Logo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:52 AM

6,297 posts, read 15,007,221 times
The paddle with dark red wood could be made from redwood. They use to make wooden canoes out of it; beautiful but they weighed a ton.

I'm originally from Clarksville and at first I thought Leatherwood rang a bell, but I couldn't quite remember. Then I remembered that there's a company called Leatherwood in Williamson County that does "This Old House" type renovations. They even disassembled and moved a historic log cabin to a park in the Bellevue area of Nashville. That why I remembered the name.

You might send an e-mail to the Montgomery County Historical Society. It's a fairly active group and they would probably know if anyone would. You could also contact the Clarksville-Montgomery County Museum; someone there just might know about Leatherwood Mgr.

Even if it you don't find anything out, it sounds like a good find.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 AM

Thumbs up History - Fire

ALLEY: You would make a good cop . ! The Leatherwood Boat Paddle Mfg. Company was located on Kraft Street in Clarksville, TN. On Saturday, April 26,1969, the building was destroyed by fire. I personally was a witness to the explosion that blew the doors off the back of the building. The loss was estimated as $233,000. Randy Rubel

Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,053 times
Default Beaver Paddle salesmans sample

I just bought a salesmans sample paddle showing prices rangeing from $1.75 for a 2 1/2' to $2.90 for a 5' paddle.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,708 times
hey split,
I have one of the lighter colored paddles and its been sitting around here forever. it was actually my dads as a kid and somehow it made it back to my house where ive had it hanging on the wall for years. i finally decided to make a hat rack of it but need to sand it down and was hoping to find that the company was still around to see if i could get another "beaver paddle.." decal for it. guess not.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Thumbs up Tenn PADDLE

Good Info CALNON: What city do you live in .?? Enjoy your piece of history.
Looks like you are a new member. WELCOME to TENN group.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 6,718 times
read your post 'bout the fire at the leatherwood boat paddle mfg. co & wanted to let ya'll know that i have an orginal sign thats made out of alumiun & nailed to wood with 8 short doll wood pegs ( that look like you could hang coats, hats, etc.) on it & it says " BEAVER PADDLE & OARS" in big letters with a picture of a big beaver on it then in small letters in the left hand corner it says " LEATHERWOOD MFG. CO. CLARKSVILLE, TENN. does anyone know anything 'bout this sign ?? its 'round 6"wide & 36" long & the color of the trim is yellow/gold with brown background nailed to dark wood with the doll pegs 'round 3/8" dia. X 5" long just wondering if anyone knows anything 'bout this would appreciate it, thanks reg >}}

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Default Leatherwood mfg.co. Inc. Clarksville tenn. Beaver paddles & oars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTASUNRISE View Post
read your post 'bout the fire at the leatherwood boat paddle mfg. co & wanted to let ya'll know that i have an orginal sign thats made out of alumiun & nailed to wood with 8 short doll wood pegs ( that look like you could hang coats, hats, etc.) on it & it says " BEAVER PADDLE & OARS" in big letters with a picture of a big beaver on it then in small letters in the left hand corner it says " LEATHERWOOD MFG. CO. CLARKSVILLE, TENN. does anyone know anything 'bout this sign ?? its 'round 6"wide & 24" long & the color of the trim is yellow/gold with brown background nailed to dark wood with the doll pegs 'round 3/8" dia. X 5" long just wondering if anyone knows anything 'bout this would appreciate it, thanks reg >}}
........... im trying to upload & post a pic of the sign but it says when i try to upload the pic that its too big cause the size is: 3072 x 2304 & a message comes up saying that it can only upload a pic size of 2000 x 3000 & it can't do it automaclly & says i have to down size the pic manually.. how do i do that please ? can anyone help me, thanks, reg >}}

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM

12,324 posts, read 17,129,934 times
Hi Delta - Check out this thread for tips on posting pics: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 PM

thanks for the reply beretta ... my pic is jpeg. but i don't know how to turn it into a url thanks again, reg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee