U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
 
88 posts, read 200,704 times
Reputation: 66
Default Are their group homes in Tennessee for people with disabilities?

Hi I am considering moving to Tennessee. I am in the social service field and work in group homes. Are their any in Tennessee and if so where are they? Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
 
Location: at the foot of my mountain
459 posts, read 787,693 times
Reputation: 193
Thumbs up Yes

yep, there are. An friend works at one. Please let me know your quals and from where your current license is issued and I'd be glad to forward the info. BTW this is in the immediate Knoxville area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga TN
2,350 posts, read 7,287,390 times
Reputation: 1136
Tennessee Rehabilitation Center (http://www.state.tn.us/humanserv/Trcindex.htm - broken link)

My brother attended this center quite a few years back. We loved them. Good luck in your search.

Here's a list of our centers in TN:

DHS Local Office Locator (http://www.tennessee.gov/humanserv/st_map_trc_ttap.htm - broken link)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East Tennessee
300 posts, read 1,133,938 times
Reputation: 330
DMRS (Division of Mental Retardation Services) oversees several agencies that provide residential services to individuals with developmental disabilities. Almost every county has one of these agencies. We (meaning my agency) provides services for McMinn, Meigs and Monroe Counties. I am a social worker for our residential service recipients and the agency investigator as well. You may want to check out the DMRS website for the state and I am pretty sure the site has a list of all the agencies. Each agency has their own policy and procedures, however we all have to follow DMRS policy and procedure as well. There is mandated training, but most agencies provide that training and pay minimum wage for the training hours. Starting pay depends on the area. Our particular agency is small, but we have great benefits and good pay for the area. We provide health insurance for free, paid vacation and you are allowed 12 paid sick days a year as well.

There are also residential group homes for mentally ill and other issues, I do not ahve much information on those as I do not work in that field.

Good Luck in your search!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,470 times
Reputation: 13
Are there any decent Permanent Group Homes in McMinn County or in surrounding area for Women with Mental Illness, e.i. Bipolar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,504 times
Reputation: 11
I'm looking for a group home near Nashville or Memphis where my grand daughter cam live after she turned 18. She is mentally disabled and would do very well in a residential home of other persons who are mentally or physically disabled.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM
 
872 posts, read 1,610,846 times
Reputation: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsueglover View Post
I'm looking for a group home near Nashville or Memphis where my grand daughter cam live after she turned 18. She is mentally disabled and would do very well in a residential home of other persons who are mentally or physically disabled.
You probably will need to contact your local DHS office to get the info you need. Tennessee Department of Human Services
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,782 times
Reputation: 10
Exclamation Help!

My mom lives in Monroe County and I have a sister that has autism (never been officially diagnosed but has many symptoms of autism) She is getting harder and harder for my mom that is getting older...Is ther eanything that can be done to get her help FAST? I am afraid that my sister is going to harm my mom....she is getting more dangerous by the day..but is a real sweet girl but just has temper tantrums and my mom is having more harder time to deal with her and she is already on medications so there is a call in to a doctor to help see if medications can help her...My mom is running out of options....She called today crying because she does not know what else to do
THanks
Jpalmer




Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
DMRS (Division of Mental Retardation Services) oversees several agencies that provide residential services to individuals with developmental disabilities. Almost every county has one of these agencies. We (meaning my agency) provides services for McMinn, Meigs and Monroe Counties. I am a social worker for our residential service recipients and the agency investigator as well. You may want to check out the DMRS website for the state and I am pretty sure the site has a list of all the agencies. Each agency has their own policy and procedures, however we all have to follow DMRS policy and procedure as well. There is mandated training, but most agencies provide that training and pay minimum wage for the training hours. Starting pay depends on the area. Our particular agency is small, but we have great benefits and good pay for the area. We provide health insurance for free, paid vacation and you are allowed 12 paid sick days a year as well.

There are also residential group homes for mentally ill and other issues, I do not ahve much information on those as I do not work in that field.

Good Luck in your search!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
 
12,503 posts, read 17,905,037 times
Reputation: 13478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalmer1 View Post
My mom lives in Monroe County and I have a sister that has autism (never been officially diagnosed but has many symptoms of autism) She is getting harder and harder for my mom that is getting older...Is ther eanything that can be done to get her help FAST? I am afraid that my sister is going to harm my mom....she is getting more dangerous by the day..but is a real sweet girl but just has temper tantrums and my mom is having more harder time to deal with her and she is already on medications so there is a call in to a doctor to help see if medications can help her...My mom is running out of options....She called today crying because she does not know what else to do
THanks
Jpalmer
You might want to contact the local Health Dept to see if they can give you guidance. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
 
2,065 posts, read 3,163,934 times
Reputation: 2549
First of all any number of mental illnesses can be responsible for outbursts and temper tantrums so don't claim any particular "disease" when you call for help. Your mother needs to have her assessed and diagnosed by professionals before anything can be done or a "group home" can be looked for. Her age may make a difference in what is available to help your mother.

Tennessee has a system in place they call a safety net for mental health. Its limited but it is a start. Tennessee Department of Mental Health

Have your mother call one of the numbers in the following related page: Tennessee Department of Mental Health At the top of the page you can see two sets of hotline numbers. One is for adults with mental illness and the other bunch is for children, dependent on location. It may give her some immediate help, or at least numbers to call to get some help and direction. Monroe county is part of the Knoxville area for Mental health services and that number is further down the page and will connect you to Helen Ross McNabb Center. In addition to the numbers they have listed here is the website for the center: Helen Ross McNabb Center, Inc. - Home

Good luck to you and your mother.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top