U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
That is the one! I just googled it/ Thanks for the knowledge and I am glad I didn't run it over. That was a big boy!
No prob! You shouldnt run over snakes anyways, thats cruel. Im a snake lover, can you tell?

In all honesty, kingsnakes make incredible pets. Er, some of them do. My desert kingsnake is a nippy little turd, but my wife's California king is the sweetest thing on earth. In any case, kingsnakes are excellent to have around, they even eat rattlesnakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 10,444 times
We just bought a rv lot in Woodrun Lakes in Middleton, TN (Hardeman co.). I am deathly afraid of snakes, but my husband grew up in WI and has always gone camping. So he decided we should do this with our kids. So we bought this lot that has lot of beautiful dogwoods, and maples on it. Also not far from the fishing dam/lake. Sadly this place has not been touched in over 6 years. So there are tons of leaves and branches we are having to clean. While raking some of the leaves last weekend, I found three small holes in the ground and also what appeared to be small tiny eggs of some sort. While raking over this area and moving these eggs like things into a pile, I looked down and saw this tiny SNAKE. I about had a heart attack. Good thing it was a baby. I don;t know if those things were snake eggs or what. This snake was greyish in color and had a silver/ white underbelly. My husband had been using a weed wacker so he chopped it with that. That may make some people mad, killing a snake, but I don;t plan on getting close enough to see if it looks poisonous or not. Also we have three very adventuresome kids, ages 6 and 4 yr old twins. Now I am extremely afraid of going back there, not to mention trying to finish clearing the land up. ANy ideas what kind fo snake this could have been? Were those snake eggs I saw? How do I get rid or at least place a border up around where I do not want snakes to travel into (ie kids play area and camper) ?

Also looking for someone who is not afraid of snakes who would be willing to be paid a price for going and raking all these leaves up for us and clearing this space.

Mary

Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM

28 posts, read 32,241 times
It's a little stinky but snakes hate moth balls. I crushed them and put them around my kids play area when they were smaller and it did the trick. It also works for squirrels.....they were eating my tiger lillies but stopped when I put some moth balls around them.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 PM

21 posts, read 45,857 times
According to the nature center in Tiftonia, (this area of) TN gets too cold for cotton mouths. They say many people see water snakes, assume cottonmouth and kill them -- when they are harmless. HOWEVER - I have saw copperheads nest in creek beds... perhaps peeps confuse copperhead with cottonmouth?

Chicken snakes are pretty common, as are copper heads. Got a 3+ foot chicken snake out of my basement several days ago. Wasn't aggressive, but still made me nervous!

Most of the copperheads I've saw have been on mountain range. Rattlesnakes are around, typically mountain range also - never ran across one in 40+ years, although know those who have.

Scorpions and spiders are much more frequent than snakes. While cleaning out a shed in September, I found both black widow and brown recluse, a scorpion inside the covered water meter hole nearby.

General rule of thumb for Chattanooga area is: triangular head = poison. Body shape is also a giveaway... long, thin snakes tend to be ok. Shorter, thick ones are to be avoided.

Last edited by CandyW; 11-02-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,161 times
Default Need info...please.

I just came across your message while looking for any info on Rv sites for sale on Woodrun Lake. Could you take a minute and email back with any info on rv sites? We are full time rv'ers looking for a spot to park few months of year. How do you like the area? Thank you so much..Vickie Shipley
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknrebel View Post
We just bought a rv lot in Woodrun Lakes in Middleton, TN (Hardeman co.). I am deathly afraid of snakes, but my husband grew up in WI and has always gone camping. So he decided we should do this with our kids. So we bought this lot that has lot of beautiful dogwoods, and maples on it. Also not far from the fishing dam/lake. Sadly this place has not been touched in over 6 years. So there are tons of leaves and branches we are having to clean. While raking some of the leaves last weekend, I found three small holes in the ground and also what appeared to be small tiny eggs of some sort. While raking over this area and moving these eggs like things into a pile, I looked down and saw this tiny SNAKE. I about had a heart attack. Good thing it was a baby. I don;t know if those things were snake eggs or what. This snake was greyish in color and had a silver/ white underbelly. My husband had been using a weed wacker so he chopped it with that. That may make some people mad, killing a snake, but I don;t plan on getting close enough to see if it looks poisonous or not. Also we have three very adventuresome kids, ages 6 and 4 yr old twins. Now I am extremely afraid of going back there, not to mention trying to finish clearing the land up. ANy ideas what kind fo snake this could have been? Were those snake eggs I saw? How do I get rid or at least place a border up around where I do not want snakes to travel into (ie kids play area and camper) ?

Also looking for someone who is not afraid of snakes who would be willing to be paid a price for going and raking all these leaves up for us and clearing this space.

Mary

Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 AM

849 posts, read 2,619,165 times
Vickie - You may want to start another mesage thread (topic) or DM(direct message) yanknrebel directly as this topic pertains to snakes and those that can help you may not read the snake topic.

Good luck finding your RV site though!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:09 PM

23,633 posts, read 21,969,184 times
Serpent Guard | Natural Snake Repellent

Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 PM

862 posts, read 1,416,234 times
Why oh why did I start reading this thread? WHY WHY WHY??????????? I am so terribly afraid of snakes. And hubby is waiting to hear if he's getting to Nashville, and wants to live outside of Nashville, preferrably in the country. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,737,174 times
I will never forget years ago at my uncles old place he had a large pond/swamp area on his land. Some of the older kids had went down to the pond to play in the water and he came down and told them they had all best leave before it got dark... they all asked what happened at dark and he said that hole filled up with water moccasins! You have never saw kids move so fast to get out of that swamp/pond.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 AM

849 posts, read 2,619,165 times
Alright, I'll tell a story on myself from many years ago. When I was 14, I lived in Shreveport, Louisiana. For a 14 year old boy who loved the outdoors, this was a giant playground of bayous and woods and all kinds of things to do like catching turtles, and fishing, frog gigging, and snake avoiding - lots of poisonous varieties, particularly mocassins. My friend Dean and I, we're down at one of our favorite bayous under a train track shooting our BB guns or whatever, and it was Louisiana hot. No one was around (and remember we were 14) so we basically stripped down to our underwear and sat in some small pools of water that fed the bayou. We each were sitting in our own little pool for several minutes, when out popped a fairly large water snake in Dean's pool. We weren't asking it if it was poisonous, we sprinted out of there so fast grabbing our clothes and running, which turned to laughing uncontrollably for several minutes as boys do, and not realizing that this would be one of those lifetime memories that no measure of adult living could ever push out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee