U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 AM

5 posts, read 12,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa View Post
The scenery is good but the intolarant natives keep it junked up with Coke cans constantly, and hardly any city beautification laws are in effect. There is little crime in this town, mostly because theres nothing worth stealing. Glad I could help. Tokyopapa
I'm seriously considering moving to East TN, tri-cities area from Long Island, NY, for it's beautiful scenery, among other things. Seeing several messages mentioning the prevalence of public littering in various areas, is somewhat disheartening when I consider all the apparently GOOD qualities of the tri-cities area. I know the problem exists in the heavily traveled main roads here in the Long Island and NYC areas, but I would certainly figure that it would be less evident in the more "countrified" areas. I guess I've always had a hard time with the fact that there are so-called human beings that have little concern for the ugliness of cans, bottles, cigarette butts, soiled diapers, fast food wrappings, etc., etc. thoughlessly tossed on the streets, highways, and even around "BETTER" neighborhoods (as I saw in an earlier posting). I do not like being among people who do not understand how a lax attitude on the part of both residents and municipal authorities toward littering ruins an otherwise beautiful area. I can deal with the concept of a washing machine on the front porch in a poor area, more than I can deal with coke cans and food wrappings tossed freely throughout a better residential area--including at stop lights, for example, where slobs take the opportunity waiting for the light to change, and clean their ashtray and/or toss out the coffee cup, before the light turns green, leaving a mark that shows who they are as a person. It sickens me and I am sad to hear that there is apparently as little enforcement on the part of authorities in TN as there is in NY.

Tell me it's not as bad as I am thinking!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 AM
JRR

399 posts, read 392,403 times
Default Maybe they cleaned it up just before we got there

We were in Greeneville twice in Oct/Nov and didn't notice any problem with excessive trash around there. It is still on our list of possible areas for retirments

Old 01-07-2007, 11:00 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,199,902 times
It is not as bad as some other states, cities and towns I have lived/visited. However it is an issue. I believe most of it is due to people putting trash in the back of their pick up trucks. As the truck goes around a corner, it will blow/fall out and they don't notice it or care to go back and pick it up. I see it more in the rural areas where there is no commercial trash pick up and you have to bring your trash to the local "connivance areas". There is more litter on the routes to these than anywhere. The other issue is that there are people at these locations you bring your trash and they monitor what you throw away. Somethings you can not bring there and have to pay a minimum of $15.00 to bring it to the county landfills. This includes anything that looks like it came from a construction site, certain metals, paint cans and some others. Now there are poor folks here, they aren't going to pay $15.00 to get rid of a paint can, so they chuck it where ever they can. Is this right? Heck no! But I can understand why it is happening.
As for throwing things out at stop lights and such, no I don't see that here in East TN. And we do have the street clean up teams. These are prisoners. They are brought out in their orange jump suites and pick up trash along the road side.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:39 PM

647 posts, read 1,289,719 times
Yeah, we're a bunch of slobs around here. We've all got cars up on blocks, a big chow dog chained up in front of the trailer, the kids toys strewn out all over the yard, and trash everywhere. In fact, I don't even bother to use trash bags anymore; when I'm done eating, or maybe drinking a coke, I just throw my crap out into yard. I figure, that, hell, the wind'll pick it up and take it away for me, so why waste my $$$ on trash bags? You know what I'm saying? When I'm driving, I'll finish off my drink and just throw the cup or bottle out the winda because I may forget to throw it away when I get home and I cain't have my car traished, can I?

Ok, Ok, seriously, I think it's fine in the tri-cities area. It's not as bad as you think. I used to live in Johnson City and I never thought it to be unclean at all. Let me know if you need any more info or perspective on the area. I don't live there anymore, but I do remember it quite well...........

Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM

11 posts, read 24,185 times
My husband and I moved here from Michigan and love living here. But we too were seriously concerned and upset about the roadside litter. In Michigan we had to pay a bottle deposit and I wish they would institute that policy here. It cut down on alot of trash because kids and others needing money would pick up the bottles and turn them in. It really did help in keeping our roadsides clean. As to the other garbage thrown out, we've noticed it tends to be the tourists who do the most damage. One of the National Park rules, "take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints", needs to be printed on billboards and signs everywhere to encourage tourists to help keep our home clean.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 PM

408 posts, read 1,363,494 times
[quote=jbrockmoore;265812]My husband and I moved here from Michigan and love living here. But we too were seriously concerned and upset about the roadside litter. In Michigan we had to pay a bottle deposit and I wish they would institute that policy here.

When I was a kid, we had the bottle deposit thing here. I'm not sure why they stopped. I remember taking the bottles to Giant (no longer in business) on Kingston Pike next to Kmart.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM

381 posts, read 1,205,544 times
When my family and I took a trip to Knoxville and the surrounding towns a couple of months ago, we were noticing how clean the streets were compared to where we live now. Not that you can't get into areas that aren't as well kept-up, but the majority of it was quite nice.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM

130 posts, read 374,825 times
From what I have seen the litter issue is one of the biggest disappoints in the area for me. It's not bad in town, in fact I'd say that the city areas are actually much cleaner than Tampa which is where I came from, but once you get out of town the problem is huge. If you visit any of the area surrounding the city per se, there is litter everywhere and it's quite disgusting.

As an avid hunter and fisherman, the original conservationists, I'm appalled when I pull off the road and see everything from oil cans to diapers, food wrappers, beer bottles, soda cans and general debris, up to and including furniture and appliances. I was riding one of my motorcycles in a popular area called Shady Valley this past summer and came across an area where someone had dumped a dead goat even.

This past weekend I was out looking for ducks and scouting around both Watauga and Holston Lakes and the amount of litter was extremely offensive, with some of it having been there for years as indicated by beer bottles with labels so faded that the brand was indeterminable. It broke my heart to have to explain to my five year old nephew why the otherwise pristine nature was so polluted with debris, and it's really quite a shame that I have to. We're going back this weekend with garbage bags to pick up some of the debris to utilize that poor experience as an opportunity to instill in the young man that just because we didn't throw it out doesn't mean that we shouldn't pick it up.

Joe

Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM

3,864 posts, read 6,905,546 times
Everybody say it with me, "Three cheers for Joe P!"

Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM

21,674 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Absolutely. Three cheers for JoeP!

We all need to pitch in, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee