Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

In the news, a Pennsylvania company has announced plans to build a 5500 acre housing development in Sequatchie County that will be the first carbon-negative community in the country. Even the bulldozers used are to be fueled by bio-diesel, and the community will generate its own power by converting its waste to electricity and will sell the remainder to the local power company. Residents will also pay an estimated annual carbon tax of $2000 to the developers.

Called Mantria Place, the article incorrectly says the development is in Middle Tennessee even though Sequatchie County is just outside of Chattanooga. If developed, it will be the largest master planned community in the state.

Mantria Communities, L.P. Introduces Tennessee's Largest Master Planned Community, Mantria Place: The First Carbon Negative Community in the Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 AM

24 posts, read 48,215 times
I can't believe how so many people are being taken by this scam. Just another gov'ment swindle to make the gap between the rich and the poor even bigger.

People are actually paying to go into neo-feudalism...will wonders never cease?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
If it's carbon negative why do you have to pay a $2000.00 carbon tax? They should pay you.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Why dont they build their development in PA? Why not just convert existing developments into carbon negative or green communities instead of plowing down 5500 acres of forest? Why why why? LCM I think your on to something.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I agree with all of you. I think Mantria is just cashing in on the enviro-hysteria that's sweeping the nation.

And 2mares, you bring up a GREAT point. It seems it would make better sense to take an existing neighborhood and make it "green" rather than bulldozing 5500 acres of farm land and woods.

Since this development is outside of Chattanooga, I bet there are a bunch of neighborhoods in Chattanooga that could use some sprucing up. I think it would be better publicity for Mantria to take a blighted urban neighborhood and rebuild it as a green neighborhood. But that's not as sexy and probably not nearly as profitable.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
Frankly I think the development would be a bust. You would sell a few homes to people who wanted to be eco friendly, but not as many as they think.

The homes would be more expensive and I cant imagine many East Tennesseans saying they would be willing to pay 167/month TO THE DEVELOPERS to offset their carbon usage. If they want to spend 167/month to help the enviromnemt, people are more likely to spend it on how they see it helping the most (fuel efficient cars, etc.)

Its a novel idea and im all about helping the enviroment, but unless people in Chattanooga are much different than those in Northeast TN, I just dont see enough people paying the extra money to make the development even close to a success.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 23,839 times
Carbon offsets are the twenty - first century version of snake oil. It is just a big con. If you research Al Gore, then you will find he partially owns a company, Generation Investment Management. This company deals in carbon offsets. Al Gore buys carbon offsets from Generation Investment Management to offset the energy usage in his home.

In the end, everything boils down to money.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
surely this one community will offset all of the pollution that Tennessee is spitting into the air constantly.

surely.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I just saw a show about hippies on the history channel. If they want a carbon-negative community they should model it after the old hippie communes. Heck with the golf courses and restaraunts and markets.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,189 times
It's way more eco-friendly to rehab an existing home than to build a new one. Communities like Mantria are causing land values in Sequatchie Valley to skyrocket. Parts of the valley are pristine, and I hate to see them turned into sprawling suburbs of Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: