U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2007, 01:57 AM

22 posts, read 41,775 times

Advertisements

I just read a scathing article online by Lewis Loflin regarding Bristol VA. and the Tri-cities. I must say the article which has many many links to many stories that have run in the Bristol Herald Courier was an eye opener. A good deal of the article deals with a strip mall project that is located on exit 7 of I-81 and it also talks about the crime and proliferation of drugs in the area and the aire of secrecy the local government tries to operate in. I bring this up because I have been wanting to relocate to TN now for a while and I had my heart set on the Tri-City are because of the proximity of the TN. VA. state line so I could visit my family in Harrisonburg more often. I have been living in South Fl. (Broward Cnty.) for 20 yrs now, and now due to the rising R.E. taxes and homeowners insurance I now find myself having to plan to move. From reading some of the threads here I see that Mr. Loflin may have hit a bullseye with his article. So instead of asking opinions of his article I would like to ask instead for other possibilities in the East Tn. area that are not in the Tri-Cities. By the way I did look up crime stats for the Tri-cities and it is not good. If anyone is interested in reading the article I mentioned I have includied the link, I warn you be prepared to read a lot, he has many many many links to other articles, very long articles.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,205,476 times
I started reading through this article, then thought "who IS this guy?" I looked it up, this is what he says on his web site:
"During the Sullivan County Religious Wars I was threatened by the Sullivan County Commission with legal action over this website and for my public comments about their pandering to religious bigots. While my right to free speech was defended by the local press, the ACLU refused to intervene in my behalf. They wanted only to get the Ten Commandments removed from a local courthouse. I only wanted equal access for other beliefs, not removal as desired by the ACLU and the American Atheists. The county only backed off under attacks by the press and the help on a part of a retired New Jersey circuit court judge threatening them with a lawsuit in my behalf. "

Sorry, I considered the source and didn't bother reading the rest. Not saying I agree or disagree, just that most of his writing is from the perspective that this is a personal axe this guy has to grind.
Most of what he talked about, from the little I did read, was about Bristol VA. and Bristol TN which is in Sullivan county. I personally don't care for Bristol either, totally different than Johnson City or Kingsport.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM

359 posts, read 1,134,284 times
I shop at exit 7 at least once a week - there are GREAT restaurants there, a Lowes, Super Wal-Mart, wonderful movie theater (14 screens), and lots and lots of other things.

It's an area of extreme growth and desireability, so I sincerely doubt that there's a huge drug and crime problem there. You can't believe everything you read or hear.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM

86 posts, read 225,813 times
jim32554; Let me also caution you not to give too much weight to Mr. Loflin's opinions. I'm well aware of his website and his point of view. He is a malcontent...you need to listen to others who live in this area. Unfortunately it is very easy for individuals to register domain names for websites using county or city names that pop up when doing a web search, and it is difficult to counter the misleading information they post.

Concerning crime statistics, my perception is the same as others who post about this area...yes, we do have crime, but it seems most of it is domestic crimes. Little or no gang activity...I've lived here for over 40 years and crime has never been an issue of much concern to me.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Ok I guess I need to add a couple bits of info here. First I didn't just wander onto this thought becuase I read that article. I got thinking about it when I looked at crime stats for the area of a house I saw online for sale, and I'll tell you, I was dismayed. The population size was rather small but the amount of rapes was high for the population. So I started looking at other towns and considered the pop. size and what the national avg. is and I have to tell you it was alarming. Other people that saw the stats were also alarmed. It wasn't just Bristol I looked at, I looked at Johnson city and Kingsport and even Jonesboro.
After seeing this I had a conversation with a friend of mine and I mentioned that I would like to leave the state, he asked where would I go I mentioned Tenn. the Bristol area, for which I included Johnson City and Kingsport. He said he knows the areas, that he goes to that area quite a bit to work. He's the one who told me they have a major drug problem, and that is when I decided to find out as much as I could. That is when I stumbled onto the Loflin article, as I mentioned he links many other articles from the Bristol Herald Courier, now I don't know how good a paper that is, it could be a rag for all I know, the thing was that I found stuff that backed up what my friend was telling me. One last thing, Loflin wasn't only addressing Bristol Va. since I don't know the area, of course it had to catch my attention, and since I have two young daughters and I'm a single father I have to consider everything very carefully before I upheave my children from the home they've known all their lives. So please cut me some slack.

Last edited by jim32554; 01-09-2007 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 01-09-2007, 08:16 PM

34 posts, read 88,648 times
I do agree with Kpt. Mr. Loflin's anti-passenger rail (Transdominion Express) comment especially makes me laugh. He should look into the history of this area and see how Bristol, JC, and Kingsport got developed in the beginning.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Thank you to all of you giving me feedback. The more feedback I get hopefully the clearer the picture gets and I will feel confident and secure when I decide where I chose to move to in TN, still definitely East Tenn.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,776,658 times
Thumbs down read the article-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim32554 View Post
I just read a scathing article online by Lewis Loflin regarding Bristol VA. and the Tri-cities. I must say the article which has many many links to many stories that have run in the Bristol Herald Courier was an eye opener. A good deal of the article deals with a strip mall project that is located on exit 7 of I-81 and it also talks about the crime and proliferation of drugs in the area and the aire of secrecy the local government tries to operate in. I bring this up because I have been wanting to relocate to TN now for a while and I had my heart set on the Tri-City are because of the proximity of the TN. VA. state line so I could visit my family in Harrisonburg more often. I have been living in South Fl. (Broward Cnty.) for 20 yrs now, and now due to the rising R.E. taxes and homeowners insurance I now find myself having to plan to move. From reading some of the threads here I see that Mr. Loflin may have hit a bullseye with his article. So instead of asking opinions of his article I would like to ask instead for other possibilities in the East Tn. area that are not in the Tri-Cities. By the way I did look up crime stats for the Tri-cities and it is not good. If anyone is interested in reading the article I mentioned I have includied the link, I warn you be prepared to read a lot, he has many many many links to other articles, very long articles.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/
The flap over the apartments at Exit 7 represents institutionalized class warfare and social apartheid. This derives from the type of Protestant-fundamentalist culture we have here. If one is poor, it’s because they deserve it for some “sin.” True in some cases, many times not.

Once I read that divisive comment, it discredited the entire author for me. Anyone talking about "sin" in today's political climate has an agenda to push. I would not take one iota of this article as any semblance of reality.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 AM

22,722 posts, read 17,638,838 times
We've talked about crime stats before and how misleading they can be when one small town police department writes up every little thing reported to the police and a larger town/city won't even take a report or show up at your house when you report the same offense. That's true for newspaper crime stories, too. This is especially true for property crime but I'm betting personal crime is handled differently, too. The small town is probably going to look worse because when Suzy's tricycle is stolen or a CD was taken out of your car, they're writing it up. Do you think Baltimore, Philadelphia or Miami write those up? If they did, wouldn't the national average for crime stats change drastically (be worse)? And wouldn't the small town look better as a result?

Also, towns with a large tourist population sometimes suffer with crime stats because while all the crime reported is counted no matter who commits the crime, the population factor in calculating the statistic is usually based on the small permanent population. Some of these tourist towns have 5 - 10 times their population during certain months of the year. They're going to have lousy crime stats. Myrtle Beach, SC is probably a good example of that. Crime stats would make you think it's one of the most crime infested locations in the US.

The only way crime stats should be compared is if everyone was required to collect data the same way on every infraction in the US. And, they don't.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,205,476 times
jim, You used the phrase "cut me some slack" please don't think we are discounting YOU or your concerns. We are Not. We are trying to give you a real, day day day honest, no axe to grind, we live, work and have children here aspect. I don't believe any of us are realestate agents so know one here has a reason to mislead you or anyone else here. We, or at least I, am not discounting your friends comments either. Sure there are drugs and crime here...show me a place in this country where there isn't any, has employment and I don't have to joint a certain group and I am there too! But the drugs and crime are a fact of life in the USA in 2007. They just aren't "in you face day day to day" here like it was in S.FL for me. There are pockets here and there of it but I stay away from those areas and it isn't in my children's schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee