U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:11 AM

22 posts, read 56,725 times

Advertisements

I want to move to TN, and from some of the treads I have read I am curious. Where are you all working? I look at houses for sale online and I wonder where are people working that they can afford the prices for some of the homes I see selling. On one hand I read that the East TN. area is economically depressed, but houses are bieng sold for upwards of $175,000, and for some towns in East TN. I have seen charts quoting the median annual income as being $40-45k. What companies are in the area that are paying such salaries? Some of the towns I may be interested in moving to are Gray, Jonesboro, Elizabethton, Unicoi, Erwin, Greenville. As far as homes they all seem to have some nice homes, but before I shop for a home and schools for my 2 kids I need to find an area that has some strong job prospects, doesn't do any good to find a nice home if I can't find a job to keep it. I would like to point out I have never been to TN., so far all I know about TN. is info I have gotten online or from people that have lived there or visited there. Pictures I have seen convince me it is beautiful, beauty aside though, have to have work! So tell me folks, where do you all work? how are you affording to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,705,867 times
Default East TN

Hi Jim,
Very good question! I like seeing good questions posted here I will do my best to answer and what I miss, I am sure other great folks here will fill in.
East TN is a "hub" of industries. The reason is the geographical location. We have Interstate 81 which runs North and South and Interstate 40 which runs East to West, this is where they come together. 40 and now recently opened (less than 5 years ago) Hwy 26 both give easy drive through the mountain region for truckers needing to haul there goods to the South.
There are a lot of industrial plants here in East TN that hire 300 or more employees. Each of these plants have positions that run the gamut. From minimum wage to very high paying salaried positions. Example: Line workers, Maintenance people to keep the lines running, welders, IT professionals, Human Resource, office staff, engineers, designers, Marketing, Plant managers and CEO's. Some of the products that these plants make and then ship all across the world are: Lawn equipment, auto components, pallets, metal buildings, chemicals, fuel cells, aviation components, metal stamps, stereo equipment, fencing, windows, boxes, wrapping paper, greeting cards and many many other items everyone uses.
There are also many great health care facilities which is a large employment base.
There is lots of retail work too with both local stores and national chains. There are several national call centers located here too that require experience in customer service, or IT or sales.
You saw the figure of 40k-45k as a median income. There are folks that fall in all tax brackets in East TN. There are many, many well educated, very wealthy people that live and work here too. And yes people that were born and raised here not just people who move here. We have many good colleges around also. So higher education jobs are also filled here. Yes, there is also the other side and many very poor folks here too. Not quite sure where you read that East TN is economical depressed?
I hope that answered some of your questions.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 AM

1,232 posts, read 4,175,409 times
Default How afford South Fla

Jim: How do you afford South Fla.? Since you asked , both states have similiar trends, but numbers much lower here. Just left Central Fla 6 months ago after 12 years. Your ocean front properties raise avg, just like our Deep Riverfront properties here. Older $320K (2005) value sold for $250k(2006) for brand new custom home $130k in beautiful Dayton, hilltop views. All my Fla friends statewide, even Inland now avg $10k/year combined taxes and house ins. My avg here will be $1,500. That goes long way for pension people to afford Tenn.! Electric about 1/3 with TVA vs your FPL greedy wooden pole technology that kept blowing over.
SAme high / low mix of jobs. All up and down I-75 shopping malls being built with CONSTRUCTION jobs,commercial. Chattanooga just had article bldg BIDS went un-submitted as developers max-ed out on the bond value from the 3 or 4 projects now in build. If your wife is nurse you can move to any city you wish. If you are Dentist, come on up. Just waited 5 month for Dentist to re-locate to my Hmo clinic. Even local HQ ! "M" added many trucking ind here with Ga carpet and FURNITURE builders for East region.
Many Wal-Marts opening in each small town, article listed 1,500 apply for each store of 400 new positions. Still much state under-educated, so JIM if you have higher ed degree you should do well here and enjoy the beautiful mtns or clear rivers.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Split, I don't have oocean front property, thank God! as for affording this area I keep wondering how I do it, I must be freaking Houdini! acutally if only the insurance rates would go down to something reasonable I would be ok here, but there is no end in sight to what the insurance companies are doing to us, luckily r.e. tas is not a problem I've owned my home now for 17 yrs, so my taxes aren't outrageous. But other people buying homes now averaging $400 to $500,000 are all ready to slit their wrists!! that is why I feel compeled to get the hell outta here before it gets worse and my property vaule tanks.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 PM

86 posts, read 297,220 times
jim32554; mbmouse has given a pretty good overview of the area in Northeast TN. Just to clarify one point, the two interstates in our region are I-81 and I-26. I-81 terminates into I-40 about 50 miles west of the intersection of I-26/I-81 near Kingsport. Another point worth mentioning is that many folks who live in the smaller towns you mention commute to work in the cities, so just look at the entire region when making your decision. Commuting times are reasonable between the three tri-cities. We are not an economically depressed area but we are an area in transition and have lost quite a few manufacturing jobs over the past few years. Probably the fastest growing sector is health care....several large hospitals, a medical school and a new pharmacy school...many many job opportunities in this industry. We may be able to be more helpful with job opportunities if you can indicate what you are interested in...a private note is fine if you don't want to enter into a public dialog.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Agree with MB about there being a lot of educated people here.

Tennessee has a great university system and it is almost a given that most kids will get their four-year degree. In Fort Myers, FL where I use to live, there weren't as many grads, I think because most of the kids had moved elsewhere. People are born here, go to school here, marry here and die here. I had a lot of competition when searching for a job.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,385,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. View Post
Probably the fastest growing sector is health care....several large hospitals, a medical school and a new pharmacy school...many many job opportunities in this industry.
With baby boomers (78.2 million - born between 1946 and 1964) hitting their retirement years, Any profession related to an aging population might be a good career move, especially in warm climate states.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 111,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim32554 View Post
Split, I don't have oocean front property, thank God! as for affording this area I keep wondering how I do it, I must be freaking Houdini! acutally if only the insurance rates would go down to something reasonable I would be ok here, but there is no end in sight to what the insurance companies are doing to us, luckily r.e. tas is not a problem I've owned my home now for 17 yrs, so my taxes aren't outrageous. But other people buying homes now averaging $400 to $500,000 are all ready to slit their wrists!! that is why I feel compeled to get the hell outta here before it gets worse and my property vaule tanks.

Hey Jim....Thanks for posting such a great question...I was wondering the same thing...I live in Miami and house prices here are outrageous!!! I was fortunate to buy a townhouse two years ago for $157,000. That is still pricy, but today, these same town homes run at $230,000 +...It is a 1,850 SF townhouse in the West Kendall area, but I have seen prices for 3 bedrooms ($150-$200) homes in Knoxville, TN. I have also seen very pricy homes as well, and I was wondering where the good paying jobs are. TN is not so cheap either......I intend to move there some time in Spring 2008, and I am worried about finding a job in the Marketing or Advertising field. I am not too worried about my husband because he does IT. I recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, SHOULD I BE SO WORRIED??? I mean, not because you live in a big city like Miami, you are going to make all that much money...there are a lot of immigrants coming to live in Miami/S. Florida in general who are doing "professional” based paying jobs for much less money, and since there is so many people here, obviously the competition is much higher. What do you guys think? Is it a BIG CHANGE???

Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM

OK, here's a little more background. I'm originally from N.Y. I left there when I was 32. I moved to south Fl. and have been here since (52 now). I have worked as a computer operator on mainframes since 1974 and continue in that field. I work for a power company in Miami for nearly 14 yrs. now. I'm a single father. Somedays I feel Like I want to get out of the field and try my hand at something else, I went to Aviation H.S. when I lived in N.Y. so I know my way around a tool box pretty good. But I have worked with computers for so long, who knows if I can bring myself to do anyhing else. But I'll keep my options open for sure.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:40 PM

86 posts, read 297,220 times
Default Jobs in East TN

As a first shot at matching your skills with jobs, try this URL...http://www.edwards-assoc.com/. Look under careers and see if there is anything that matches your skill set. This is a growing firm and they are hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee