U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM

39 posts, read 100,605 times
Smile Nashville or Knoxville?? Help!

Hello all----My fiance and I are looking to move to TN and are leaning towards Nashville but are also interested in Knoxville. We are 47 & 52---can you help us on which City is better and where the decent neighborhoods are to rent houses? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 AM

9,018 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreene14 View Post
Hello all----My fiance and I are looking to move to TN and are leaning towards Nashville but are also interested in Knoxville. We are 47 & 52---can you help us on which City is better and where the decent neighborhoods are to rent houses? Thank you!
That's a pretty vague question. Better in what way? Schools? Traffic? Jobs? Cost of housing? Crime? Night life? Airport? Shopping?

I live in Knoxville and love it. But I've also lived in Nashville and loved it, too.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
jrc

13 posts, read 40,931 times
Default both nice places

First, I lived in both cities although I live in Nashville now. Both cities are far better that most I've seen and I have traveled quite a bit. To me Knoxville has more of an old Northeast city feel. Something like a small Pittsburgh if you have ever been there. Nashville is much more up and coming like Charlotte or Atlanta. Nashville is better for singles, young couples, and families. Knoxville is more of a place you go to retire. The natural scenery outside of Knoxville is great although Nashville is pretty nice also. Don't move to Knoxville for the mountains. We thought we would go a lot but they are still about an hour away and most people are to busy to go very much. I would someday like to move to East TN when I retire but I wouldn't move to Knoxville. The traffic is just as bad as Nashville and the city itself is not as attractive. I would think instead about moving somewhere outside Johnson city or Bristol. That area is beautiful!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,914 times
Default Nashville or Knoxville??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
That's a pretty vague question. Better in what way? Schools? Traffic? Jobs? Cost of housing? Crime? Night life? Airport? Shopping?

I live in Knoxville and love it. But I've also lived in Nashville and loved it, too.
I too would like to relocate to Tennessee. I also am not sure whether to live in the Knoxville or Nashville area. I visited both. Loved both. I am moving with my husband 46 and I am 44. I have a 16 year old daughter who will be going into her junior year in high school in September and hope to make this move before then. My 18 year old son will graduate in June. He has applied to the University of Tennessee/Knoxville. We are taking him to visit next month. We come from NJ and are tired of the pace here and the bad neighborhood. What towns in or around Knoxville can you recommend? With a good high school for my daughter. We also have a 21 year old son who is in his 3rd year of college here in NJ. He will finish college here. Which of the 2 areas (Nashville-Knoxville) are better? When I say better - I mean as far as schools/property taxes - plus we will need to find jobs. I have worked for 8 years as an executive assistant in a pharmaceutical company and my husband is in sales for a high end SUV dealership. ANY help or guidance would be appreciated. Where do you think are the better chances of finding jobs and finding a nice neighborhood - close to shopping - not more than a 30-40 minute work commute? We are selling our house and hoping to buy a home for $350,000.00 or less. Also - what counties/towns should we stay away from??

Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,807,461 times
Have you checked into Williamson County? Excellent public schools, property taxes here are MUCH lower than where we used to live, and there are several high-end car dealerships in the Cool Springs area alone.

There are 3 pharm reps on my street alone. Not sure about their need for exec. ass't.s, but I would think that bodes well.

Easy commute into Nashville, too, as long as you stay north of Spring Hill.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Have you checked into Williamson County? Excellent public schools, property taxes here are MUCH lower than where we used to live, and there are several high-end car dealerships in the Cool Springs area alone.

There are 3 pharm reps on my street alone. Not sure about their need for exec. ass't.s, but I would think that bodes well.

Easy commute into Nashville, too, as long as you stay north of Spring Hill.

Good luck!
Yeah I'd say that Williamson County would be hard to beat, although $350k would go a lot further in suburban Knoxville. Both Nashville and Knoxville have excellent economies with very low unemployment rates. Nashville is bigger and has a lot (and I mean a LOT) more money--a much deeper financial base than Knoxville. If you can find a home in Williamson County in your price range, grab it. Even with the rapid growth going on there, they do a great job of keeping the schools spotless and not crowded. But like akm4 said, stay north of Spring Hill; the roads in Spring Hill have not kept up with the growth.

Otherwise, your money could allow you to live in a beautiful, lakefront neighborhood in suburban Knoxville (Lake Loudon) where the schools are also good and jobs are plentiful.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 21,541 times
What about if you have a handicapped young adult ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I'd say that Williamson County would be hard to beat, although $350k would go a lot further in suburban Knoxville. Both Nashville and Knoxville have excellent economies with very low unemployment rates. Nashville is bigger and has a lot (and I mean a LOT) more money--a much deeper financial base than Knoxville. If you can find a home in Williamson County in your price range, grab it. Even with the rapid growth going on there, they do a great job of keeping the schools spotless and not crowded. But like akm4 said, stay north of Spring Hill; the roads in Spring Hill have not kept up with the growth.

Otherwise, your money could allow you to live in a beautiful, lakefront neighborhood in suburban Knoxville (Lake Loudon) where the schools are also good and jobs are plentiful.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpi View Post
What about if you have a handicapped young adult ?
I'm not sure what you want to know. Are you asking if there are homes that are handicapped accessible? Are you asking if there are jobs for the handicapped? Are you asking if there is public transportation for the handicapped? And when you say "handicapped" are you referring to a physical limitation or a mental handicap?

Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 21,541 times
programs, living options, support systems for mental retardation and epilepsy.
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 AM

39 posts, read 100,605 times
Smile Nashville or Knoxville

Thanks Boris,

We are looking for a nice fairly quiet area with decent jobs and fair prices on rental properties---an area with things to do and places to go ---where people are in a neighborhood that seems to get along with each other----asking to much probably though huh?----We are currently in Clearwater Fl and very tired of this way of living----people just do not seem nice here and the cost of living along with the threat of Hurricanes is just not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee