Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM

17,608 posts, read 22,514,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you Tinman. You could be right about the diesel. We did use an additive but who knows? Mike plans on draining the old fuel, which thankfully we didn't have much in the tank, out before he changes/adds filters. He wanted to have the tank boiled but we can't find anyone to do that.
What is a rising agent?

Our winters are pretty mild usually but to be safe i put "Power Service" additive in my diesel tractor...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM

630 posts, read 2,424,411 times
Where is Wolf Creek?
My brother lives in La Pine, anywhere near there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Our winters are pretty mild usually but to be safe i put "Power Service" additive in my diesel tractor...

Old 06-26-2009, 02:07 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,514,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsTn View Post
Where is Wolf Creek?
My brother lives in La Pine, anywhere near there?

Howdy MomsTn......................

LaPine is in eastern Oregon. Wolf Creek is in southwestern Oregon. About 20mile north of Grants Pass. I'm in the mountains west between Powers & Gold Beach area....................

Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,483,973 times
If you do decide to use bamboo, go with something like this. Much slower spreading and easier to control.

Cold Hardy Clumping Bamboo

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM

357 posts, read 1,014,936 times
thanks, great source for bamboo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you do decide to use bamboo, go with something like this. Much slower spreading and easier to control.

Cold Hardy Clumping Bamboo

Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,208,163 times
This thread is so wonderful. It's great to watch such a beautiful place come together.

I know the cows are bothersome but you folks have been so patient with them. I love reading about the cows and seeing the pics. I actually end up laughing from time to time at their escapades. They are real characters.

I also get a kick out of seeing Mike with his tractor. I think he is in love. My brother-in-law is the same way. When his tractor was delivered you would have thought there was a new baby in the family.

Another thing about this thread is that it is comprised of people helping other people. The suggestions are so nice and I just love to see folks working together even if it is in cyberspace.

YoungLisa and Mike, BRAVO to you both. What an excellent adventure.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,273,198 times
Ketacha- Thank you for writing in. I like the cows but they can be strange animals, lol. I am trying to still get close to the new calves this year but they are very unsure about me. One of them is very interested in Niki but still won't come too close.

That is funny about Mike and his Tractor. He really does like it. At least he is getting his money's worth, lol.

Thank you and all the wonderful people on our thread. I like to keep it light and not get into heavy issues. I think it makes for a nice read. That's what Mike says about our relationship all the time "It's just nice". We never fight and we are best friends. I think that's pretty good for knowing each other over 30 years.

Many people have been so helpful throughout our whole process. It's nice to learn from each other.

Hey Jaxson, I "will" be lounging as soon as I can find my favorite resin chairs and "not" in neon colors. Why do they make outdoor furniture such awful colors, lol?

Thank you all for the Bamboo tips. With all the rain this year that got pushed off for us. Ok I have to write the story. Bye now.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 AM

Good morning everyone. I just typed the entire story and tried to post. I had no pictures so Mike is helping me get the pictures online. I will post soon.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Chapter 60 Story Of 6-12

Good morning everyone. Ok I am back. I had to switch back over to Internet Explorer. So now I am trying again.

It's time for a another chapter in the Mike and Lisa world. After last week's saga I am glad we are semi back to normal. We met the Geezers last week in town and I know they are back home now. It was wonderful meeting both of you and I know you are excited about your new place. Hey maybe you can do a story when you build your unique house

Ok, I am on my new computer and I have no spell check. I am a slow typer and a mediocre speller. This new computer highlights my misspelled word but doesn't give me spelling options. It's kind of like when I was a kid asking how to spell something. The answer was look it up in the dictionary and the response "how am I supposed to look it up if I can't spell it, LOL". Same here so bear with me. I am also having trouble posting my pictures. When I hit the post button I don't know if we will see the pictures or there will be a link. I'm crossing my fingers for the "pictures".

6-12
Now that the Motorhome is gone from the top of our property the goal is to have a back yard with a lawn. This morning we started doing some easy stuff first. Mike started working on the front garden and I went out to help. We started digging out the grass so that we can get it ready for plants.

Digging out the grass.

Then we put all the grass in buckets and take it away. Right now we are dumping it behind the front walls. I will miss the open walls once they get filled, lol.

Now the garden area is finished being cleaned out.

Next we get all my extra stuff from my garden beds and throw it in. We use my leftover vermiculite, cow manure, and peat moss. we figure it's better to use it know and not keep it all year for next spring. Now we just have to find some plants.

Today turned out to be a beautiful day and it is so nice having the new patio and our walkway. We are dragging less dirt inside the house which I am very happy about. Now I can open up the doors and do some Spring cleaning. It might even stay clean for a bit, lol. While I an cleaning Mike takes the tractor down to the barn to clean up the mess we left from the motorhome move. I hear Howard and Eric pull in so I know Mike will be down there for awhile.

After I finish cleaning up I go outside to do a couple of small jobs. Mike wanted me to paint our samples of paint in larger swatches so we could really see the colors. I paint the 3 previous color and add one more to the choice. Here are our samples.

We picked the 3rd one on the right. It is called Pine Forest by Olympic. I didn't realize how blue some of the dark green paint chips would look on the house. Once the house is backfilled we can move onto painting the house, again, lol.

Mike comes back up top and he tells me they were teasing him because we have a dent in our front gate. Yup Mike rolled into the other day. Oh well "life happens".

He is going to do more work in the building so I am going to put the tar on the house. Before the wall is backfilled Mike wants to seal it in case there were any chips(possible leaks) from the concrete crew. We want to make sure the house is completely sealed before it is backfilled. I change into my worst work clothes for this job because it's going to be a nasty one. This is the last time we will be working behind the wall. Mike gets the ladder in place for me and I climb up. Then he hands me the paint brush and the gallon container of the tar stuff. Yuk.

Here I am painting it on and trying no to get it on myself.

While I am doing that Mike decides to finish cutting off the old pink insulation that was put on the house walls originally. We just want them cut down enough so that when our grass and gardens are in you won't see pink. He gets that done and we re use it by sticking it onto the tarred walls.

Of course I tried to stay clean but that is just not possible for me. I am like a mess magnet when it comes to painting anything. I had to use the paint thinner to get this stuff off me. It actually came off easier than an oil based paint which surprised me. I did get some on my clothes so I have to be careful inside the house. Mike said I should just throw the stuff out. I can't throw out my weed eating pants and the shirt I can re use. I am going to cut it up and use it to stake my tomato plants. He says I am the worst with work clothes and I never get rid of them. Why would I? Who knows what kind of nasty jobs we might end up doing, lol.

I am glad that job is over. Now we are ready for it to be backfilled. if we could just get enough dry days in a row we will be ready.

We are slowly working on the lawn. here is Mike doing some more seeding.

After that we got cleaned up and ran some errands. We went to the library because I ordered some books on gardening and canning and they are in. Then we went to David's to pick up more seed for the back yard.

On a very cool note. Now that Mike has moved our solar system to the gray building and each set of 6 panels have their own charge controller and their own set of batteries we are now "fully charged" on both. Before we never had both charge controllers fully charged at the same time. Woo hoo. That means everything Mike did this time is an improvement. I think he got it right.

6-13
The rain is back.

6-14
Today I made a small attempt of cleaning the gravel off the side of our road going down to the house. We still have to rake and seed it with clover. First we have to get the gravel out of the ruts, rake it back, and then fill it with dirt to be seeded.

The gravel in the ruts.

Starting to rake it back. Unfortunately I'm really not into this job today so this is all I do.

And right behind me the front grass is starting to come in.

At this point we aren't worried about weeds. We just want to get everything green and then we can work on the weeds.

I get another big section is raked, seeded, and strawed.

I can't do any more because I am out of straw.

I go over to see what Mike is doing. He is working on installing another vent in the building. First he painted it black, then he cut out the square hole, and then installed it.

Here he is using his favorite tool, the cut off wheel, to cut out the hole.

The new vent is in.

After that I help Mike putting in the sealed nuts and bolts in the building. When we screwed the solar panels down we didn't seal them. So I help Mike re do them. I am inside the building with the ratchet and he is on top unscrewing the old screws. He then puts silicone in the hole and sends the bolt through. I add the washer and the nut and screw it tight. Just another small job that had to be done.

Later on we go to the other property to mow. We also grab the chainsaw because we know the other part of the tree on our Island split and fell into the pond.

Here is our fallen tree.

And the split.

Mike cutting the tree.

Then we pull everything out of the water and pile it on the Island.

We will have to come back when the trailer is empty to load everything up.

Well it was a short story today but we are moving forward with our work. We take it one job at a time. I hope you all enjoyed and I will write again next Monday. Have a great week.

Lisa

Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,547,475 times
Lisa, I love the choice of green. I agree the two on the left looked more blue then they did green.
On that vent mike installed, are you guys planning on putting any screening over it to keep birds, bats out?

No Nikki this week? She must of been a busy dog.lol

Great update Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee