Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,572 times

Advertisements

Lisa, yes a Class A.

I have a buddy in Calif. that just this past spring paid $46k to over his large roof with (IIRC 40+) solar panels and he is selling electric, something like 3-5 KW/day) to the power company from about 8:30 AM into late afternoon. He says he will be getting a tax credit too. He also has more money than he knows what to do with...

Rachel, constantly shocking a well can cause serious problems and shocking can not prevent bacterial contamination and can actually make the problem worse causing the well to lose production requiring expensive well cleaning and rehabilitation or a new well. Also, exposure to low level chlorination by products, if formed, can cause serious health problems. Unless you have a proven need to shock, you shouldn't.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Rachel- You are doing great with your electric bill. I don't think you need to worry about going solar. You're right it probably wouldn't pay for itself in your lifetime especially since TN doesn't give any credits or breaks for solar.

Gary- Yeah California is great about giving credits and breaks for solar. So is Canada according to Heynow999. We just aren't so lucky in TN and there is no way I'm going to spend that kind of money for solar lol.

Have a good day. It's clearing up outside and we have to go work.

Lisa

Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 53,711 times
Cool Do Utilities Buy Excess Power Back??

Hi,
Gary Slusser, I have a friend in S Cal who does not pay any monthly bill for electric. His solar panel system powers two a/c systems. One for the house, and one for the shop, plus all other electric. He sells/credits excess power back to his electric company. This is so interesting. Just seems to good to be real. J Capps is in the construction industry and does his own work. Maybe that is a great help in keeping overall costs down. Do most utilities buy/credit the excess power back?

RTJ49
Maryland

Last edited by rtj49; 09-09-2008 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj49 View Post
Hi,
Gary Slusser, I have a friend in S Cal who does not pay any monthly bill for electric. His solar panel system powers two a/c systems. One for the house, and one for the shop, plus all other electric. He sells/credits excess power back to his electric company. This is so interesting. Just seems to good to be real. J Capps is in the construction industry and does his own work. Maybe that is a great help in keeping overall costs down. Do most utilities buy/credit the excess power back?

RTJ49
Maryland

Do you know how big that system is and how much it would cost. It's massive amounts of money.

Here is a link for rebates by state.

DSIRE: DSIRE Home

Lisa

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM

286 posts, read 1,481,572 times
I don't know for sure but I think there is a federal law that says anyone producing more electric than they use can sell it to the electric company. Maybe not.

My buddy has a huge house and heated pool and bar. He has all the electronics gadgets money can buy and something like 13 TV sets; some are the large flat screens. IIRC he said he has 4-5 computers scattered around the house and stereos and remotes and their chargers all over. Personally I couldn't live like that.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,851 times
thanks Gary for the reply
I just remember my parents doing that every now and then because we grew up on a dairy farm
where I live now, the well is over 30 yrs old (have no idea how deep it is)

Lisa, our daily avg KWH used is 16.0 (have no idea if that's good or bad but it's what's on this month's electric bill)

Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 31,932 times
If anyone is interested in a 3500 Watt Propane Generator.. heartlandamerica.com has them on sale right now
$550 - Matrix 3500w generator. 20 hours runtime on 1 gallon of propane.

if you sign up to their value club for $50 you get a $50 discount on the generator.

haha

Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekeith View Post
If anyone is interested in a 3500 Watt Propane Generator.. heartlandamerica.com has them on sale right now
$550 - Matrix 3500w generator. 20 hours runtime on 1 gallon of propane.

if you sign up to their value club for $50 you get a $50 discount on the generator.

haha
Thanks. I'll have to check that out.

Lisa

Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj49 View Post
Hi,

RTJ49
Maryland
The trend in solar PV installs in my CA neighborhood is to produce 80 to 90% of your homes electricity over the course of a year... often referred to as Net Metering and you settle your account once a year. Typical installs are 40 to 60k before tax credits... I'm looking at one right now that went in last week at my neighbors.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 85,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post

I've been around a fair amount of stored water and can tell you that the inside of your atmospheric type tank will probably need periodic cleaning and disinfection..
Gary, My grandparents out in the country near Abilene Texas used a windmill and a galvanized watertank from 1930 to 1990 and no water treatment or filters and my other grandparents in Louisiana had a well with a bucket and a rope, again no treatment or filter and no one ever got sick from the water.
Has Americas water gotten so bad it must be treated and filtered now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee