Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

I hope you all enjoyed the story and I will try to write again next week. Have a wonderful week and have a safe and Happy Labor Day!!!

Lisa
Just stopped by and saw your latest posts. I am happy you are still active and posting. I have been busy here in my own little corner of Tn. Unfortunately today was not much of a holiday, other than sleeping in till 12 noon, due to RAIN

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM

21 posts, read 31,257 times
Smile Insperation

I cannot tell you how much of an inspiration your story has been. My daughter is disabled but very highly functional. I cannot tell you the terror in my heart when I think of her alone at my passing. We have 15 acres in Roan County and plan to build a home for others like her. Then I can rest knowing she will be safe and so will the others.

I plan to do as much as I can myself, but I have been inclined to think more about what I cannot do. You have been an inspiration; now I think of what I will do. I cannot thank you enough.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Just stopped by and saw your latest posts. I am happy you are still active and posting. I have been busy here in my own little corner of Tn. Unfortunately today was not much of a holiday, other than sleeping in till 12 noon, due to RAIN
Thanks for stopping by. Yes...lots of rain and clouds this week. Not much work getting done

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfarmertoo View Post
I cannot tell you how much of an inspiration your story has been. My daughter is disabled but very highly functional. I cannot tell you the terror in my heart when I think of her alone at my passing. We have 15 acres in Roan County and plan to build a home for others like her. Then I can rest knowing she will be safe and so will the others.

I plan to do as much as I can myself, but I have been inclined to think more about what I cannot do. You have been an inspiration; now I think of what I will do. I cannot thank you enough.
Welcome and thank you for writing in. It sounds like you and your daughter are the inspiration. Best wishes with your project for your daughter and her friends.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 75,744 times
Hey Lisa,
I was wondering what you paid for your acreage. You have 40 acres right?

I was n love with the western north carolina and smokey mountains area but acreage is just way too expensive. So i was looking at tri-cities, frog pond, foothill areas, pretty much anywhere that looks as awesome as your place, which is exactly what ive been looking for.

My budget is 20-40k and im hoping for 20+ acres hopefully and have a place thats unrestricted or no building codes since im building a cob and or strawbale home.

How did you get your land anyway? Word of mouth, realter, random sign?

Thanks and love this thread and the inspirition i get from you!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 AM

dominicus- Thank you for wriitng in. Yes we have almost 40 acres and we found this property driving by.

The land in our area is very expensive now...and if you can find anything less expensive it is on the side of a mountain.

I sent you DM with a link that has some TN land listings in your price range.

Good luck!!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Nice job, lisa and mike! Everything is looking wonderful!

Like you, although I like the look of a few items on the top of the cupboards, I personally do not want to get up there and dust them. If you leave them too long, cobwebs form and it really looks bad! Plus, I like to have as little places as possible for any bugs to hide. My cupboards in MI have a soffit above them so we just painted that. In Las Vegas, however, they are like yours. This was so strange to me because it just looks so bare and "out there"! And to add to that, in LV, the builders did all those "pot shelves". I hate them and I think they are a waste. I have nothing on those either (except dust, I'm sure!) I do not like built ins either and we have those too. Most all of the newer homes do. I just don't like being "told" how big my TV and such need to be.

I was thinking maybe some cool looking pottery pieces (very few) and putting tissue paper in the top of them to help at least keeping the dust outside of them. At this point, they are still bare and I am still thinking. If you come up with anything, let me know!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Thank you kimba. I agree...some small things would be OK but I don't want the dust collecters up there. I do clean the tops of the cabinets twice a year...(hmm!!! maybe something to do today), but things still get greasy I guess from all my cooking.

I love pottery and usually really bright colors. Mike doesn't get my taste in that so I don't have any. Pottery might be good for you because I think it can be washed in the dishwasher

Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfarmertoo View Post

That is so thoughtful of you. Best wishes. When are you moving from WPB? And where in WPB are you ? Tennessee is a beautiful state.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
My thoughts about the tomato worm/wasp parasite issue: If letting the wasps have their way would work, wouldn't the worms be extinct by now? How many offspring can the worm generate while you wait for the wasps to hatch and kill the worm? This is why I suspect there are still worms around.

I would just kill them as I find them, even if the wasps die with them.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think I might have posted this before, but if you have fish in your pond, pick off the hornworms and feed them to the fish. Fish also love Japanese beetles.
Hornworms are the grossest things, though. Icky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee