Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I compared 12 places in Tennessee that we talk about here on this forum with populations of less than 50,000 but more than 15,000. Some may think these are small towns. I'm not one of those people. The largest town population wise is Franklin (44,200) and the smallest is Sevierville (19,700). The places are:

Crossville
Cookeville
Bristol
Johnson City
Kingsport
Oak Ridge
Greeneville
Maryville
Frankklin
Tullahoma
Sevierville
Brentwood

If you need your space, the place to be is Greeneville. It has a population density of 108 people per square mile. Comparatively speaking, it may feel crowded in Johnson City. It has a population density of 883 people per square mile, the most of any town/city on the list. The key word is comparatively. Look up the population density of where you live now to put it in perspective. Johnson City may not seem so crowded, after all.

If you are thirsty as all get out in Oak Ridge, jump in your car and drive to Johnson City for a glass of water. With 100 being the best/cleanest water, Johnson City sparkles with a score of 95. Oak Ridge, on the other hand, comes in less than the US average of 55, with its 54 rating.

You may want to hold your breath while driving through Tennessee but if you have to come up for air, do it in Tullahoma. It has the least polluted (natural or man made) air of the places on the list.

They're rich, they're educated and they're good looking. Well, okay, maybe only the first two. Where would that be? Why that would be Brentwood and Franklin. In Brentwood, the median household income is $100,600 and in Franklin it's $66,000. Compare that to Cookeville (a college town) and Crossville with median household income of $30,800. Also, 61.5% of Brentwood's population have Bachelor degrees or more. Consider the next two towns on the list with the highest percent of Bachelor Degrees or more trail way behind Brentwood: Franklin (37.6%) and Oak Ridge (31.1%). Lowest percent of Bachelor degrees (or more) - Crossville (3.3%).

One more thing. If an African American or a Hispanic American asks for our advice as to where they would fit in - it's Franklin with it $66,000 median household income and comparatively large percent of people with degrees. They also have a comparatively larger percent of Hispanics and African Americans than the other towns on the list so it looks like a place to be if you are a member of a minority and a professional.

Moving to Tennessee without a job? Don't move to Greeneville. It has an 8% unemployment rate (last 2 years) but think about (oh no, not them again) Franklin and Brentwood with their 3% unemployment rate.

If you are a baby boomer or beyond and want to be with your own kind, where do you live? Oak Ridge. Of the towns on the list, it has the largest percentage of people over 44 and Neighboroo labels its primary group of inhabitants Retired (comfortable). Median age in Oak Ridge is 42. Where is the youngest median age? Cookeville at 31.

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! The cost of living in Tennessee is cheap. Consider hoity-toity Brentwood and Franklin with their high median household income levels still only rate scores of 88 for cost of living, well below the National Average of 100. Lowest cost of living of the towns on the list - Cookeville (81). Highest cost of living - Tullahoma (91) but still plenty lower than the National average.

Where's the best place on the list to feel the earth move under your feet? (not the same as being in love) - Maryville. With a score of 78, it's above the national average of 50 for earthquakes. Who else is above the National average for quakes? Oak Ridge (66), Sevierville (73), Greeneville (61), Bristol (61), Johnson City (57), Kingsport (57).

Who on the list is above average for tornadoes? Cookeville. With a US average of 50, Cookeville rates a 55. It is the only place on the list above with earthquake potential over the US average.

The 3 tri-cities cities have the most precipitation days of the year - 133.

Hot town summer in the city - Franklin (88.9) and Brentwood (88.8) lead the list in July high temps...of course, they are all in their air conditioned offices earning their "high household incomes" so they probably don't care.

If you smell Democrat victory, you must have wandered over the state line when you weren't looking. Every one of the cities/towns on the list has a majority of Republican registered voters. Biggest Republican strongholds - Franklin (72%), Brentwood (72%) and Sevierville (70%).

Most overall crime - Johnson City but with a score of 23 it's still well below the national average of 43.

Doctor Doctor, Give me the news - the most physicians (6.2) per capita - Johnson City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Nice presentation, LauraC

Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Mistake?

I don't think Crossville should be on the list. Either it has grown tremendously since 2000 or I read the population size wrong. Crossville, by the way, is one of the 100 Most Popular Retirement Destinations in this month's Where To Retire magazine.

Other mistake is a typo:

"Who on the list is above average for tornadoes? Cookeville. With a US average of 50, Cookeville rates a 55. It is the only place on the list above with earthquake potential over the US average."

That should be tornado potential not earthquake potential.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:16 AM

51 posts, read 301,022 times
I wish you would have put Shelbyville on the list. It may not be asked about much on here but It's in the fifth fastest growing county in the state and almost identical in size to Tullahoma.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletnjoe View Post
I wish you would have put Shelbyville on the list. It may not be asked about much on here but It's in the fifth fastest growing county in the state and almost identical in size to Tullahoma.
The unscientific way I selected towns was my piece of paper allowed for 6 columns (towns) and I only had time to capture info for 2 pages (12 towns). I tried to go for places in a particular population range so the comparison wasn't huge cities vs small towns. Then, I just thought of places I've seen mentioned here in the forum. I don't live in TN yet and of the towns on the list, the only ones I've spent any time in are Oak Ridge (relocation trip) and Brentwood (business trip).

Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM

51 posts, read 301,022 times
I understand, and I love what you did with the towns you listed. It's extremely useful. I suppose I could do a list myself that included Shelbyville but it's highly unlikely due to the fact that I am incredibly lazy.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't think Crossville should be on the list. Either it has grown tremendously since 2000 or I read the population size wrong. Crossville, by the way, is one of the 100 Most Popular Retirement Destinations in this month's Where To Retire magazine.

Other mistake is a typo:

"Who on the list is above average for tornadoes? Cookeville. With a US average of 50, Cookeville rates a 55. It is the only place on the list above with earthquake potential over the US average."

That should be tornado potential not earthquake potential.
You did an amazing job!! Very thorough research, and very interesting results. I don't guess there's really anything surprising. Brentwood and Franklin are the wealthiest towns in Tennessee, Cookeville has a young population, Oak Ridge has an old population, Greeneville is beautiful but has no jobs, Crossville's population is poor and uneducated. (NOTE: "Crossville" does not include Fairfield Glade.)

And about that Oak Ridge water: I shudder to think what's in it!

And you're right, Crossville should not be on the list, its population is much less than 15,000.

Johnson City has a population of more than 50,000, so it shouldn't really be on the list, either. 55,469 according to the 2000 Census.

Franklin has grown tremendously since the 2000 Census and had a 2005 population of 53,311, so it would be too large to be on the list. Hard to believe that in 1990 Franklin had only 20,000. Sheesh!

Where did you find your stats on registered Democrats vs. Republicans? I ask because Cookeville has been overwhelmingly Democrat, even though Bush won both times there. I think in all of Putnam County there are only 2-3 elected Republicans, the rest are all Democrats, albeit very conservative Democrats. Traditionally, the Putnam County - Cumberland County line has been the line of demarkation between Democrat Middle Tennessee and Republican East Tennessee.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 AM

203 posts, read 765,971 times
LauraC, I love the way you write! You pulled up some great information that made me want to move even more.

I decided to do a little comparison from Johnson City, where I want to be, to Sebastopol, CA, which is where I am. Here's what I found.

Sebastopol population density - over 4,000 people per square mile! Talk about crowded! Air quality rated a whopping 18, and water quality only hit 30. The cost of living here, based on the US average being 100, is 211.4, with housing rating a 363.

Any questions about why I want to get out?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM

48 posts, read 184,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middletnjoe View Post
I understand, and I love what you did with the towns you listed. It's extremely useful. I suppose I could do a list myself that included Shelbyville but it's highly unlikely due to the fact that I am incredibly lazy.
funny joe

Old 01-17-2007, 04:05 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,538 times
Laura, I enjoyed reading your post. I like how you write, too. I'll have you an A for Creative Writing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee