U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,975 posts, read 6,898,440 times
Reputation: 1110

Advertisements

for many of us it will come down to one thing - - $

 
Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,675 posts, read 31,596,747 times
Reputation: 11785
Money may be the deciding factor, but the southern lifestyle may not jive with some people. Some love it here, some don't. If money is the only factor there may be SOME unhappy campers!
 
Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
 
2,062 posts, read 3,495,749 times
Reputation: 1377
I agree. I hear from so many people- especially ones in CA and FL who hardly even investigate the areas they want to move to just because they happen to be cheaper. There are a lot of people I've met who moved somewhere on a financial whim only to move back in worse shape then if they had stayed put and learned more about the culture, identity, weather, and geography off their chosen relo-state before living there.
 
Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,865 times
Reputation: 11
Question activities

I love Tampa! But since my best friend is trying to move to TN, I would like to know what kind of things are there to do there? We go to the beach all the time- even though it's a 45min drive. We swim, kayak- we're outside all the time & we love the beach. Plus we have broadway shows, street festivals all the time- in Tampa and all the surrounding towns. There is so much to do here I feel like I don't to get to everything! Plus we have a great nightlife- major concert town, tons of 5 star resturants. And it's an open atmosphere- you learn to appreciate alot of different languages and cultures. Of course my husband and son fish alot- both fresh and salt.
My friend is visiting the Murfresboro area this coming weekend and we have talked about both families moving but I'm nervous- would we keep busy and have fun?
I used to live in Huntsville AL and I hated it, so that probably has something to do with it. Although I did learn that the health care at Huntsville Hosp. is FAR above what I found in Florida- even if I did triple my salary. (I'm a nurse).
Thanks for any insight.
 
Old 06-06-2007, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Left Coast - Not Where I Want To Be
1,155 posts, read 2,793,024 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I agree. I hear from so many people- especially ones in CA and FL who hardly even investigate the areas they want to move to just because they happen to be cheaper. There are a lot of people I've met who moved somewhere on a financial whim only to move back in worse shape then if they had stayed put and learned more about the culture, identity, weather, and geography off their chosen relo-state before living there.
You are absolutely correct. People should not move to Tennessee or any other state solely because of a lower cost of living. Everyone considering such a move, especially people that have never lived in the south before, should do a lot of research on the area and visit that area many times before seriously considering such a move. Even though I was born and raised in the south and understand the southern culture, people, and lifestyle, I plan to make many trips to Tennessee to learn more, speak to people, and explore before I move from California to Tennessee.
 
Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
 
15 posts, read 42,425 times
Reputation: 13
Where in TN do you live? What city?
 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 AM
 
9,060 posts, read 21,487,658 times
Reputation: 5838
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagrl View Post
I love Tampa! But since my best friend is trying to move to TN, I would like to know what kind of things are there to do there? We go to the beach all the time- even though it's a 45min drive. We swim, kayak- we're outside all the time & we love the beach. Plus we have broadway shows, street festivals all the time- in Tampa and all the surrounding towns. There is so much to do here I feel like I don't to get to everything! Plus we have a great nightlife- major concert town, tons of 5 star resturants. And it's an open atmosphere- you learn to appreciate alot of different languages and cultures. Of course my husband and son fish alot- both fresh and salt.
My friend is visiting the Murfresboro area this coming weekend and we have talked about both families moving but I'm nervous- would we keep busy and have fun?
I used to live in Huntsville AL and I hated it, so that probably has something to do with it. Although I did learn that the health care at Huntsville Hosp. is FAR above what I found in Florida- even if I did triple my salary. (I'm a nurse).
Thanks for any insight.
I'm originally from Tampa, too. My grandfather helped develop Davis Island and then Brandon, and on my other side of the family my great great great uncle was the first county executive of Pinellas County when it split off from Hillsborough County.

Other than the beaches and Cuban food, Tampa doesn't have anything that Nashville doesn't have. Nashville is a beautiful city and is just as big a concert venue as Tampa, has just as many good restaurants, has just as many clubs, just as many Broadway shows, just as many street festivals. Nashville has more colleges and universities than Tampa, too, so the city is very young and vibrant.

As for fishing, there's obviously no salt water fishing near Nashville, but there are several large lakes next to Nashville with great fishing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tampa; it's frankly the only place in Florida I could ever live in. But Nashville is a fantastic city, too.
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,285 posts, read 14,205,476 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm originally from Tampa, too. My grandfather helped develop Davis Island and then Brandon, and on my other side of the family my great great great uncle was the first county executive of Pinellas County when it split off from Hillsborough County.

Other than the beaches and Cuban food, Tampa doesn't have anything that Nashville doesn't have. Nashville is a beautiful city and is just as big a concert venue as Tampa, has just as many good restaurants, has just as many clubs, just as many Broadway shows, just as many street festivals. Nashville has more colleges and universities than Tampa, too, so the city is very young and vibrant.

As for fishing, there's obviously no salt water fishing near Nashville, but there are several large lakes next to Nashville with great fishing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tampa; it's frankly the only place in Florida I could ever live in. But Nashville is a fantastic city, too.
I agree with JMT,
When I was reading your post, I kept saying, "we have that here" (in TN) and I am 5 hours east of Nashville. It is not just Nashville that has street festivals,fairs, fishing, water sports etc. Chattanooga has that, Murfreesborugh has that, Knoxville has that, Tr-Cities has that, and I am sure more West TN has similar, I just haven't been over there and don't know anyone there so I can't answer that one, But in a nut shell, I think you will find many many activities you can all do together that you will all enjoy just about anywhere you go in TN. As for good hospitals, many TN hospitals are in the top 100 so I think you will be fine with that too wherever you end up in TN. Good luck to you and your friends, come visit, you'll see what we are talking about on this forum. We have yet to see anyone that has come on this forum asking questions to come back after a visit and say "y'all lied, TN is horrible" LOL! Usually it is the opposite, they say we didn't tell them enough how nice it is LOL!
 
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,675 posts, read 31,596,747 times
Reputation: 11785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
We have yet to see anyone that has come on this forum asking questions to come back after a visit and say "y'all lied, TN is horrible" LOL! Usually it is the opposite, they say we didn't tell them enough how nice it is LOL!
Well, most people come here and like it, but I think at least one said we lied and a few thought it wasn't for them and some visited and we never heard from them again! I don't know what that means!
 
Old 06-08-2007, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
4 posts, read 6,232 times
Reputation: 11
Default well...

I lived in SoFla (miami, delray, boca) for 13 years. Moving to TN really changed a lot of things. But, TN, like FL, has no state tax. Anyway...TN really gives you a break from those ridiculous hurricanes and we're pretty far from any natural disasters (no tornadoes at least not usually, no earthquakes, no blizzards, no hurricanes...) so yeah. The quality of living is a big change too, as well as the quality of PEOPLE. It is a lot cheaper, just as nice if not nicer...and if you're an ocean person, or maybe just a water person, the Tri Cities area has 3 nice and larger local lakes. I live on Boone myself and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top