Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,958,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit View Post
I totally agree with you gailli....I can't wait to move out of Florida, although Ocala is nice, but I just want out of Florida period!!! I am from Long Island NY originally, and I sure miss the change of seasons. That is one reason we are planning to relocate to Tennessee.I lived in NC for about 9 years, very nice there too, but the ex lives there...so not going there.
mrsfixit,
I left Palm Beach county as well (originally from NY), I am so glad I did. I have been here a year this month. Aside from missing my daughter, there is nothing else I would want to go back for. I love love love the weather here. I missed the change of seasons so much more than I thought I did. I enjoyed my first winter here so much. I even got to see a little snow. What a treat! It was just enough to take some pictures of, make a snowball or two and then poof by noon it was gone! The perfect kind of snow. The COL is way cheaper than FL and it is so much safer here. I never look behind me or check out what is around me here. I just don't get that erie feeling here at all. I live in Middle TN and love it! I;m sure you will too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
Thats another reason we left Florida was to experience the change of seasons, right now I cannot belive its August here, we will be 58 tonight, two days ago it was 47 in Cades Cove in the morning, now thats sure better than 98 in Florida with 95% humidity
YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN gailli! It used to feel like I had a wet blanket on my head in FL. Here it may be hot, but it's so dry it doesn't feel nearly as bad. I ran from the car to house in FL or from the car into work. I never lingered outside. Now, I cut the grass, weed and just enjoy sitting on the deck. It just doesn't feel uncomfortable to me at all!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,679,566 times
Let's make all South Floridians sign a pledge to leave the "So Fla way" at the border before crossing into TN.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Let's make all South Floridians sign a pledge to leave the "So Fla way" at the border before crossing into TN.
Sounds like a plan TriDad!

Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,675 times
I was born in Tennessee east,people moving here like crazy cause cheap land/housing costs, now city/county commission wants 100% property tax increase and 50$ wheel tax,look out poor people things going to get tougher

Old 05-30-2015, 09:57 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
I was born in Tennessee east,people moving here like crazy cause cheap land/housing costs, now city/county commission wants 100% property tax increase and 50$ wheel tax,look out poor people things going to get tougher
I think the tax differences between TN and FL are way overstated. Neither have a state income tax. TN has a much higher sales tax, and it applies to more items. FL has higher property taxes.

Rural areas are pretty cheap in both states, but I'd wager than Tampa, Jacksonville, and perhaps even Orlando are cheaper than Nashville is today, and all will likely be cheaper than Nashville in the short term future.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I think the tax differences between TN and FL are way overstated. Neither have a state income tax. TN has a much higher sales tax, and it applies to more items. FL has higher property taxes.

Rural areas are pretty cheap in both states, but I'd wager than Tampa, Jacksonville, and perhaps even Orlando are cheaper than Nashville is today, and all will likely be cheaper than Nashville in the short term future.
I didn't realize Nashville was the only city in Tennessee.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,675 times
Hope taxes stay low,but I don't see it happening

Old 05-31-2015, 08:44 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
Hope taxes stay low,but I don't see it happening
That probably depends on where you live and how the local economy is faring.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:23 PM

14,951 posts, read 9,787,725 times
The taxes are not that much difference at the end of the day. I live in both states but I'm rural in Florida. In TN my home is in a subdivision. My FL taxes on rural residential (Millage rate) is $ .17 per thousand of assessed value on 1 acre. The rest of my land is taxed at agricultural rate = dirt cheap.

The key in Florida regarding property taxes is "assessed" value which is not the same as market value or appraised value. Since I've been in Florida for a long time my taxes are low for the land value. New residents pay a lot more.

At the end of the day.... it's about cost of living not just taxes. The rural aspect of living in FL makes it a wash for me. I could never "leave" FL... because I love the water-fishing-boating world too much. Take a peek... Martin County Home

My wife and I love TN too, but for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee