U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 PM

50 posts, read 112,915 times
Default High Crime

Was doing some checking on TN and it seems like it is rated as one of the most dangerous states year after year. Is that due to its larger cities that are just out of control? Does all that crime spill into other areas or are the smaller places safer. I am looking into Cookeville, Crossville Maryville and the Tri-Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM

8,887 posts, read 20,353,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmora View Post
Was doing some checking on TN and it seems like it is rated as one of the most dangerous states year after year. Is that due to its larger cities that are just out of control? Does all that crime spill into other areas or are the smaller places safer. I am looking into Cookeville, Crossville Maryville and the Tri-Cities.
Having Memphis in our state really skews the crime stats for all of Tennessee. Nashville also has a pretty high crime rate. Since 1/4 of Tennesseans live in Memphis or Nashville, you can see how those crime stats make the rest of us look bad.

Those towns you mentioned are very safe. Obviously, there's crime everywhere and you should take the necessary precautions no matter where you are, but I wouldn't worry about Cookeville, Crossville, Maryville, or the Tri Cities.

(By the way, I wouldn't worry about Nashville, either. I've never felt unsafe in Nashville, and I've been there probably 1000 times.)

Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 PM

763 posts, read 1,457,400 times
Chattanooga has a very high crime rate, as well.

Look at the demographics of the places you are talking about.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM

50 posts, read 112,915 times
I just did a look up on Chattanooga and you are correct. The crime rate is insane.

If the crime in Chattanooga, Memphis or Nashville is just is the "bad" sections of town then I guess it would be no big deal. Is that true or does it spilll out into other areas?

In your opinions what area of TN is the best place to raise a family that is safe, has fun things to do for the family and has a decent cost of living? Safe is my number one priority.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 AM

21,595 posts, read 29,615,620 times
I've never felt unsafe in Chatt, but I have in many places in Florida. Knoxville's unsafe area would be a safe area in other cities. Chatt and Knoxville are small cities that rapidly become rural not far from the center.

Memphis crime is so high that it makes the entire state seem crime infested.

Come visit and you will see that is not the case.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,125,356 times
You can check city crime statistics, as well as other information here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Tennessee.html

Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 AM

Carolmora: Where do you live now?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 AM

390 posts, read 1,135,083 times
We live in Hixson, within city limits. We hear about crime in the news, but have never felt unsafe even at the many events we attend in the urban areas. We like to go to the market and to many places downtown and although an occasional person will approach us and ask for money (benign), we just have not felt like most people or situations are malevolent. I did see the police arresting what I presume was a shoplifter outside of Sam's Club the other day. Can't say I have seen any other things happen here. My supervisor lives in and has rentals in areas of the city with some of the higher crime rates (read urban and lower socioeconomic) and has had people steal the copper from one of her rentals. I did hear about an attempted robbery where a 13-year old was home alone. Turned out well, because him and his father (by phone) thought quick and were able to get help before the robbers got to the room the kid was hiding in. This happened in E. Brainerd.

I just don't see the frequency and severity of crime that I saw when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Los Angeles, or St. Louis. I even think there were more severe crimes in Rochester, NY where I am originally from (at least anecdotally without looking at stats -- Maybe the news just focused more on the crime that does happen there!).

We just love Chattanooga and really believe it is a good place to raise our 3-year old daughter. We recently bought a home where there is an awesome elementary school, but not so good for the middle and high school. We will determine what our options are as we go.

You really have to get a feel for the areas of TN that you are considering to make that decision! Hope you are able to figure out what area is right for you! HTH

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,389,858 times
I do agree that there is crime all over now. I don't think you can look at the state as a whole but must look into individual areas/towns. There will always be higher crime rates in the big cities.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM

Yeah. I live within the city limits, and the only exciting thing is the cicadas. I'm afraid to turn the stereo too loud and disturb the neighbors.

Knox and Chatt are very small cities. I know that Knoxville feels like a very large town and that is a very good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee