Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,067 times

Advertisements

I have had all the heat I can stand, and am desperatly seeking a new home in the mountains. We love the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and Chattanooga areas, but are not sure where would be best. We are looking for a nice quiet area in the woods close to a lake, with bubbling streams and woods. My husband and I are currently working in the tourism industry, he works in bell services and I have done everything from Resort Front desk to reservations for timeshares as well as 911 dispatcher.
I know there are more areas in the eastern TN area, and no, we don't mind snow My kids miss skiing, snowboarding and riding the snow mobiles. We are hoping to find somewhere with all of this and more... and I am hoping that you folks can guide us.
Thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:47 PM

Any thoughts on Erwin or Johnson City?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM

11 posts, read 35,028 times
The Dandridge area is great. Douglas Lake is here and there are mountain views. Dandridge is the second oldest city in TN. Nice and quiet and close to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 35,028 times
Johnson City is pretty nice. I have never been to Erwin.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonrider View Post
I have had all the heat I can stand, and am desperatly seeking a new home in the mountains. We love the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and Chattanooga areas, but are not sure where would be best. We are looking for a nice quiet area in the woods close to a lake, with bubbling streams and woods. My husband and I are currently working in the tourism industry, he works in bell services and I have done everything from Resort Front desk to reservations for timeshares as well as 911 dispatcher.
I know there are more areas in the eastern TN area, and no, we don't mind snow My kids miss skiing, snowboarding and riding the snow mobiles. We are hoping to find somewhere with all of this and more... and I am hoping that you folks can guide us.
Thank you SO much!
Hello,
Welcome to the forum, happy to have ya.
If you want more CHANCE of snow, I would agree, North East TN (in or around the Tri-Cities area) would be your best chance for snow. I have been here in N.E.TN for over 11 years and have only seen one snow that would be enough for a snowmobile and that only lasted a day. So not sure if you will find the snow activities by home and still live in TN. However if you choose N.E.TN you are a close drive to Boone NC which has a ski lodge and those activities.
As far as lakes and creeks, we do have several of those. There is Wataga Lake in Carter County, closest town for work would be Elizabethton, no Resorts there to work in. Boone Lake which is in Washington County, Johnson City is the largest city there. There is The Carnegie Hotel which is a large hotel across from ETSU. There are several Call center places in Washington County such as Citi, AT&T, and Windham Resorts. S.Holston Lake is in Sullivan County which is closest to Kingsport. There is the Medowview Convention Center there which is expanding soon.
I would suggest you get with a local employment agency as that is how a lot of these types of employers hire. See if they have anything available in these areas then choose from there. Just a thought.
All of these areas have woodsy locations and mountain views.
Here are some pictures of the different areas. Hope this helps.

Wataga Lake area

Boone Lake area

S. Holston Area
Warrior's Path State Park

However, in the Tri-Cities area, you don't necessarily need to live on or by a lake to have great water views or in the mountains to have the views and woods. Here are some other area pictures.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 PM

18 posts, read 30,871 times
Wow mbmouse!!! I am from south western Va and am homesick like you wouldnt believe. Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL. I am currently stuck in Kansas City and have been lookin for a place to move closer to home. I have been lookin at north western NC, but now I am thinkin TN! What is the cost of living like? I lived in KY not far from the border for a while and I always heard that it is crazy expensive to live in TN. I made frequent trips to Nashville which is nice but lacking mountains! I am young and only have a few years of retail experience. I am currently managing a small accessories store, and also in college. Will I be likely to make it on my own out there? I would love to be back in VA, but the area I am from doesnt offer much oppertunity. I want to be away from the congestion of city livin but close to where I can find something to do!!

Last edited by Sic Semper Tyrannis; 07-13-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 AM

MBMouse thank you SO much! Those pictures were wonderful and made me want to move even faster *grin*
I have seen that the housing market up that way is much lower than here in FL, have the forclosures hit up that way as hard as they have down here? Any idea what the average wage is up there? how hard is it find a rental home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee