U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 25,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife is being transfered to TN for work and I have a few questions that I hope you can help answer for me. We have never been there but have been looking online a whole lot. Currently we live in Oakhurst Ca, which is in the Sierra Nevadas just a few miles from Yosemite National park. We love the mountains and hate the city. Neither of us are "California" people. We are about as far away from a Liberal as you can get, we hunt, fish, ride our atv's and I would like to get horses some day again. Basically we hate what California has become and can't wait to get out so we are both excited about this move.

First off, It doesn't really matter where in the state we live because my wife only has to go to the office when she wants to and the offices are in Knoxville, Brentwood, and Memphis. We live in the mountains now and would like to live in the mountains in TN where we can buy a fairly good size piece of property, 30+ acres and not spend a ton of money like we would here. We have been told that we would probably like the North Eastern part of TN the best because of the mountains. So with that said, what areas would you recomend? Somewhere with land, hunting and places to ride our atv's.

Next, in that area of the state how is the humidity and do the tornados run through that section?

Finally, I am a Special Inspector which is pretty much only in California, Oregon and Washington. I'm certified for inspections in Masonry, Concrete, and Fireproofing. I'm going to have to completely change my job and going from an inspector who tells people how to do the job and not actually doing any back breaking work I have a feeling it's going to be hard for me to find a job! In the areas of NE TN are there many jobs? Construction (don't really want to do the work though) or pretty much anything else that will pay half way decent, I'm not real picky. Another option is some other type of inspection but I don't know what type of inspectors TN requires.

Thanks for all the help

Casey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 AM

22,999 posts, read 17,958,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurstcowboy View Post
Hi everyone. My wife is being transfered to TN for work and I have a few questions that I hope you can help answer for me. We have never been there but have been looking online a whole lot. Currently we live in Oakhurst Ca, which is in the Sierra Nevadas just a few miles from Yosemite National park. We love the mountains and hate the city. Neither of us are "California" people. We are about as far away from a Liberal as you can get, we hunt, fish, ride our atv's and I would like to get horses some day again. Basically we hate what California has become and can't wait to get out so we are both excited about this move.

First off, It doesn't really matter where in the state we live because my wife only has to go to the office when she wants to and the offices are in Knoxville, Brentwood, and Memphis. We live in the mountains now and would like to live in the mountains in TN where we can buy a fairly good size piece of property, 30+ acres and not spend a ton of money like we would here. We have been told that we would probably like the North Eastern part of TN the best because of the mountains. So with that said, what areas would you recomend? Somewhere with land, hunting and places to ride our atv's.

Next, in that area of the state how is the humidity and do the tornados run through that section?

Finally, I am a Special Inspector which is pretty much only in California, Oregon and Washington. I'm certified for inspections in Masonry, Concrete, and Fireproofing. I'm going to have to completely change my job and going from an inspector who tells people how to do the job and not actually doing any back breaking work I have a feeling it's going to be hard for me to find a job! In the areas of NE TN are there many jobs? Construction (don't really want to do the work though) or pretty much anything else that will pay half way decent, I'm not real picky. Another option is some other type of inspection but I don't know what type of inspectors TN requires.

Thanks for all the help

Casey
I'm guessing you need to find a job first and then look for a place you can live where you can do the things you like within commuting distance.

I can only tell you how to search. I have no firsthand knowledge. There is a website:

http://www.homeinspections-usa.com/m...ennesseetitled "Tennessee Home Inspection Companies"

which may give you some ideas of where you could look for your line of work in Tennessee. There are links to the sites (and phone numbers) and it does tell you which parts of Tennessee each of the inspection companies listed, serve.

Also, I saw a lot of companies out there if you just do a Google or Yahoo search on:

Tennessee masonry inspection
Tennessee fireproofing inspection
Tennessee concrete inspection

If you know where you are going to work, maybe people could suggest places to live in a mountainous environment but be within commuting distance of your job.

Back in June 2006 someone posted here looking for your line of work (inspection) and he was told that there were plenty of construction jobs so he probably wouldn't have a problem finding work. What you are used to being paid may be a different story.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,337,377 times
Hi Cowboy,
My first suggestion when reading you post would be Bailyington TN. You can find large pieces of land that allows what you are looking to do, horses, ATVs, hunting etc. It would be about a 40 minute drive to Knoxville (downtown).
Bailyington is north of Greeneville and is in Greene County which is one of the largest counties in TN. It is in between the Clinch and Smokie Mountains. Tornado's are not usual, actually I can't recall one coming past Knoxville (east of) in the 10 years I have been here.
As for your work situation, you could look into home inspections that are required sometimes for purchase contracts. There is also that for insurance claims, appraising, and other such needs in that industry. Check out those links LauraC listed. She is a great source of info on how to research!
Tell us more about what you are looking for in a new "home town". There are many folks here that have great information about their areas.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,791,240 times
Mouse, I looked into Baileyton ages ago, because it does sound like what we're looking for too...but according to mapquest, it's 71 miles from Knoxville.

I know it's only 30 miles from Johnson City, is that what you were thinking?

I have to drive pretty fast to get 71 miles in 40 minutes! lol

Especially here in NJ where it takes 40 minutes to go 18 miles in light traffic...

Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 AM

LOL!!! I understand where you are coming from. However, I was speaking of Interstate 81, which is easy to travel and the speed limit all the way to the Interstate 40 junction is 70 miles per hour but traffic usually travels along at a bit faster speed. So yes, I could see where you would think 71 miles seems like a long distance. And if I am not mistaken it is less than that to downtown knoxville, maybe your wifes office will be more west? If that is the case, yes Bailyington might be to far. But honestly, once you hit Jefferson County (coming from the East) towards Knoxville, all the way past Knoxville along the 40 corridor, you might be hard pressed to find 30 or so acres that are affordable to you. Maybe you could look at White Pine? That would bring you 20 or 30 miles closer to Knoxville at least?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,791,240 times
Wow, I've always (for normal places...not NJ!) calculated distance vs. travel time at a mile a minute. i.e. 60 miles in an hour.

Is Tennessee really that awesome that the roads move faster than that?

I'm in heaven already, just thinking of it!!

Here in NJ, we calculate an hour and a half for 60 miles - at least, with light traffic.

If I take the highway to work, it could take me 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to get 18 miles. It's a gamble every day. That's why I take back roads...and it still takes me 40 minutes.

So sorry to hijack the thread...but this just suddenly brings a bunch of options I'd never considered into the picture for us! Since we want to be within 45 min of Knoxville...I was limiting us to about 30 miles distance!

Joy of joys!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 AM

It all depends on what roads you take here hahhahahaha
I was speaking of 81 and 40 where the posted speed limits seem to be an invisible sign to most LOL! I have been on Interstate 81 traveling from Greene County to Tri-Cities ( I did that for a year!) and just traveling with traffic, I would make it the 30 miles (exit 23 to 53) in less than 20 minutes but then it would take 20 minutes to travel the 15 miles I needed to go South on 26. Some of the "back roads" take even longer as they are mostly 2 lane (one each direction) and you can get caught behind a tractor hauling hay and it could take you 10 minutes to travel 5 miles! So you just have to know your routes.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,031,864 times
That's true, MB.

It will depend on where you work in Knoxville. You have to take that into consideration.

I also cannot stress enough the importance of testing the job market before you come. It will also make a big difference on where you live.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:02 PM

8 posts, read 25,952 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you guys very much for the info. I'm going to hit the internet now and see what else I can come up with. The towns that you mentioned are not towns I knew of so I'm anxious to check them out.

As far as my work situation I already know that I'm going to lose a huge amount of money per hour but I'm not real worried about it. My wife will make the same and maybe even a little more then what she makes now. My current hourly wage is 43.89 an hour but you have to remember, I have to pay 3 bucks a gallon for diesel and 300,000 for a fixer up house with one acre if I'm lucky.

Thanks a lot, I'll let you know what I find!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 PM

16 posts, read 77,730 times
Default The land beauty

Hey I from Mariposa!!! Moved here almost 2 years ago and I"m loving it! You can find land all over here just know the forest are closed to ATV's and they are just stated to enforce it. Up by Jamestown,TN there are trails just for them and lots of rivers to fish. However it is horse heaven. Houses have deaded trails that go right into the National forest with 100 different trails. About hour and half from Knoxville. Very much like where you are coming from. Very small town and like living in the 1950's. I live in Mosheim, TN and you can find some great land around here, great prices in Rodgerville,Morristown has more of a town. Danridge near Knoxville is more active and if you go out of town could be good. I'm a artist and like tourist towns. Just know the food is MUCH different here but I love the people they have such heart and friendly OMG! If you stay in the area I'm in you have less chance of the bigger storms they are more south and in the central part of the state. Stay away from the Hwy.40 ...hope that helps you...if you need more info. let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurstcowboy View Post

Thanks for all the help

Casey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee