U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:34 AM

62 posts, read 139,883 times

Advertisements

anyone know anything about mountain city,tn? crime? umm....what kind of things do they have there as far as restraunts is there a large library?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,209,675 times
Hi Rebel88,
I have only been there once but have been hearing a lot about it. I have to go there next week, weather permitting, and when I do, I will take notes, look for a library and take pictures. I do know the property prices are going VERY high up there. Going to investigate the why of that too.
So keep an eye out for the update on Mountain City.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM

408 posts, read 1,364,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
anyone know anything about mountain city,tn? crime? umm....what kind of things do they have there as far as restraunts is there a large library?
There isn't much there. The library is just one room, but they are adding on. Though that still won't make it very big. They had signs up warning people that the prisoners from the state prison would be doing the work. There are rumors that a Super Walmart will be moving in, but I don't know when. Other than that there are two Dollar Generals, a Rite Aid, Food Lion, Food Country, Save A Lot, I think Radio Shack is still there, I think Family Dollar or Fred's is there. There is a McDonald's and I think Hardees (or Burger King). They have a few independent places too - shops and restaurants. There is a pizza place, Dairy Bar (I think that is the name), and several home cooking type places. There isn't much at all up there. When we first moved to the Tri-cities area we spent the first two weeks in a motel near there because it was close to where my husband works.
They do have a supposedly great golf course (I don't golf, this is just what I hear). In that area, they are building some big fancy subdivision with several amenities. It's called something like Red Tail.
Crime wise, I know they had one murder last year and I think that is the average. I don't know how prevalent other crime is, but you should be able to look up some stats here on city-data.
The newspaper for up there is www.thetomahawk.com It is a weekly paper that comes out on Wed. They have crime reports in there.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:28 PM

130 posts, read 375,077 times
When you hear banjo's playing you're getting close. I'd say that as much as Johnson City was a surprise on how progressivre it is for being in the state of Tennessee, Mountain City pretty much perpetuates every stereotype of the south.

I was riding through there one day and stopped at a convenience store and started chatting with a customer who told me that there are people in Mountain City that were born there, and have never left the town once in their life. On that same visit I overheard a conversation that went:

Clerk: "Well howdy there Betty Sue, I ain't seen you in a coon's age."

Betty Sue: "Well howdy Martha Ann. I ent ben 'round much since I been havin' these yung 'uns"

Clerk: "Well I be, and it looks like yer fixin' to have ya' 'nuther young 'un. How many's this? Nine? Tin?"

Betty Sue: :"This here be nummer nine."

Okay, I'm improvising a bit but you get the idea....

To me, Mountain City seems poor, depressing and pretty redneck. Er, very redneck actually.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,209,675 times
You know, Joe P, I had the same impression too when I was there, but that was years ago. Now (in the past year) the property value has gone through the roof up there! I am going to talk to a Realtor there next week and I am dieing to know what the pull is to that area. There must be some secret something that is the cats meow! hahahahahah

Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,783,082 times
My mrtge broker said its a hard sell- she owned a brand new house and it took 3 years to sell it-it is isolated- one main street. people may like i to visit- but after driving thru there I wont be again.lol.

sunny.

My H knew someone there whose family had meth issues-

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 01-19-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM

631 posts, read 1,656,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Clerk: "Well howdy there Betty Sue, I ain't seen you in a coon's age."

Betty Sue: "Well howdy Martha Ann. I ent ben 'round much since I been havin' these yung 'uns"

Clerk: "Well I be, and it looks like yer fixin' to have ya' 'nuther young 'un. How many's this? Nine? Tin?"

Betty Sue: :"This here be nummer nine."

Okay, I'm improvising a bit but you get the idea....

To me, Mountain City seems poor, depressing and pretty redneck. Er, very redneck actually.
So, I see you've met some of my relatives....

Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

lol...wow..since im not gettin good information on mountain city can anyone tell me a nice midsize town in eastern tn preferably between 2,000-10,000 ppl, thats near the mountains or in them...and rednecks dont bother me lol...im one myself....lol...and me and my wife do want a large family....so if anyone can help plz let me know...also they have a homeschooling group there that is nice bc my wife is planning on homeschooling our kids...so ANY info is helpful thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 02:43 PM

631 posts, read 1,656,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
...also they have a homeschooling group there that is nice bc my wife is planning on homeschooling our kids...so ANY info is helpful thanks
Do a Moderator cut: cut search... Tennessee Homeschool.
There's an abundance of info there.

I homeschooled my older kids, so, if you haven't done it before, just ask.
It's really very rewarding.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 PM

no i have never homeschooled....do you know if mountain city is bad or what? we want a mid size town and near the mountains or in the mountains! my folks will be living in north ga and my wifes folks live in wv....can you help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee