U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2007, 04:26 PM

119 posts, read 262,294 times
Default Meijer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar26 View Post
Ive never heard of Meijer either, dont even know how to pronounce it, and besides, Im sleeping at 3am. And that house that's 1500 sq ft would be over $350,000 here, minimum! I think you should give it a chance too, take a step back. Moving can bring feelings of aggrivation b/c you're used to having certain places and things that may not be in your new town.
Haha - even some people who live in Michigan call it MyJer, but it's actually pronounced like "Meyer" or My-er(s)

Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
It's called a drought. Tennessee has been proclaimed a disaster area and from what I understand will be receiving federal assistance. Vegetables don't grow well without water, thus your grocery bill increases.

You also live in a relatively isolated area that is nestled in the mountains. Since most raw goods come from K-Town, you're going to be affected by the cost of the trip to get it to you. As you may be aware, gas prices are up, too.

However, if you would like to continue to complain, that's what we locals expect to hear. I've lived in East TN all my life. My family has been here for over seven generations on a land grant (in what just until recently was the pristine Wears Valley area) from George Washington. Just a few short years ago housing was quite affordable, but guess who's moving in? People from all over the country who are selling their saltbox homes up north and in CA for $500,000 - $1,000,000 and buying a house on the lake with two to three times the square footage for that amount. I think you may have come down a little late on the gravy train. Everybody else has already sopped it up along with a vast majority of the appalachian culture with it. Of course, I know, everyone will say we have no culture, since it's not what you're used to.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM

553 posts, read 1,228,601 times
Haaaaa. I love it I did not read this whole thread because it was way to long. But I have to say the person complaining sure sounds like the type everyone from down south complains about, and they usually say it is us New Yorkers, sorry I just thought that was funny. anyway those prices sound just like a big portion of the country, and You cant expect to have the same stores either. I have never heard of that place either, I would not move to tennessee and complain there is no empire state building. Take it for what it is slow down and enjoy other wise you will have a stroke.175 is still way cheap for a home compared to alot of other places. Take care and relax

Old 09-27-2007, 03:42 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,030,938 times
what--no empire state building? i'm outta here

Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,609,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
what--no empire state building? i'm outta here
LOL!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:04 AM

443 posts, read 1,009,649 times
Default put this post up on the florida board...

maybe less people will move to Tennessee. Maybe the New York and California boards as well.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:09 AM

21,596 posts, read 29,653,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post
maybe less people will move to Tennessee. Maybe the New York and California boards as well.
It doesn't work that way. People will do what they want to do.

Also, that tactic will backfire. If you tell people the place sucks, they come visit and say it isn't that bad. If you tell people the place is the best thing since sliced bread, they visit and say they don't think it's that great.

Most people are contrarians.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Haaaaa. I love it I did not read this whole thread because it was way to long. But I have to say the person complaining sure sounds like the type everyone from down south complains about, and they usually say it is us New Yorkers, sorry I just thought that was funny. anyway those prices sound just like a big portion of the country, and You cant expect to have the same stores either. I have never heard of that place either, I would not move to tennessee and complain there is no empire state building. Take it for what it is slow down and enjoy other wise you will have a stroke.175 is still way cheap for a home compared to alot of other places. Take care and relax

NY62, you're not too bad for someone from NY. I just found this forum today. I live in Central Florida----used to live in SW Florida and I could probably write a very similar sounding post like everyone else from SW Florida about the yankees screwing everything up for all of us old time Floridians. Of course it's not just yankees, it's just growth in general that seems to be the problem. But those yankees that complain about southern culture and want to change things really cause a lot of us to lump you guys all together. Anyway, central florida is getting bad now too and my kids and their families can't afford to even buy a house here anymore so they're thinking about moving and have been looking into eastern Tennessee because they've visited that region, the people seen nice and it's more like what they grew up before Florida got so bad. I'm moving wherever they all decide to move 'cause I want to be around them and my grandkids. They've got to find jobs so will have to find a location that will support them (need to find a nursing job, telephone technician job and also a job for someone with a science degree). They've been thinking about around Knoxville but also their dream is to find some acreage that they could go in together on. However, reading these posts makes me wonder if that's possible anywhere anymore. We all just want a nice friendly place to live with good values and a decent education for the kids. Is Eastern Tennessee the place to look? Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM

21,596 posts, read 29,653,539 times
Be forewarned, OldFlorida, a lot of Tennessee is looking a lot like the new Florida.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:46 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,252,931 times
Post Wow! We are all looking.

It's ironic and kind of sad that we are all looking for the same thing. A peaceful spot with good, kind neighbors, high moral values, and a great spot to raise our children in the kind of environment we had growing up.

It's not just the Yankees, or Floridians, or Californians, or Whereyafromians. We all recognize what is missing in most of our country - and the world. Times are a-changing and we don't like it.

I hope I leave E. TN when my time in this life is over just the way I found it. Then, somebody else's kids can grow up the same way we did - happy in a wonderful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee