Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM

86 posts, read 414,552 times

Advertisements

MBMOUSE:

Thank you for that! I was not aware of that!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:54 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Ditto! I agree with TN Bound. Take a deep breath. It will come together and next year or even a few months from now, you are going to look back on today and laugh as you find you and your family very happy with your life in TN. I agree with Hipknaster too, talk to people. You will learn more than you ever wanted to about TN, the good and the bad hahahhaha. And you might just meet your new best friend.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 AM

HIKNAPSTER:

Yes, I agree that Strawberry Plains could be perfect for us...but is is further than Seymour AND have to drive on 66 which is tourist road and will add to the trip. Dang!

It may just be that we HAVE to get used to the drive time. Period. I like Seymour in that is closer to Knoxville than any other cities we've considered moving to. Seymour is 1/2 way between Gatlinburg and Knox. Seems ideal, but, GOD I HATE THAT DRIVE! Especially on Chapman Hwy where no accident is a small one. haha. Again, I am very spoiled by living in MI and having EVERYTHING....and I mean EVERYTHING within a 10 minute drive. As my husband's co-worker said to me (she is also a transplant but from Mississippi) "Give it 6 mo. It really is a different world here, but it is a great world, just not what you're used to. It's a way of life." SO true.

Thanks TNBOUND.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I don't know. I was miserable for a time, too, but you're way ahead of me. You already have great jobs and have owned your own home.

Your friend is already from the south, so she likes the area. Me, I PURPOSELY moved to the south. I knew exactly what the area and way of life was like.

I can't stress enough the importance of understanding the culture here.

There are so many people on these boards that come here on vacation, not really realizing that it can seem completely different once you move here.

I want to thank you for being completely honest about your frustration. I am sure that this will be helpful to other people that read this forum.

It just may be that you are homesick. Moving to a new area takes some adjustment.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Thumbs up agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
No, you are not an idiot.
You are just frustrated.
You and your husband did what was right for the family.
Now, you just have to find your perfect niche.

Give it a little time.

Don't be discouraged by negative comments.
I don't think they really meant to "come down on you."
It's kind of like stern parent advice.

You're already here, you've researched, and did everything that you could before hand.
So, now, just get out and meet people.
Keep looking for a place to live, if you want your child to be in a certain school, then, look in that area.
You never know, a home might open up tomorrow, and you might be the first one to see it.
Keep checking the internet, go to realtracs, can't put the url down here, but, if you add a .com to it, you can go right to the info.

and BREATHE....

That's what people tell me when I get stressed.

It takes time. Dont be too hard on youirself. Moving and bereavement are the hardestb things people go thru. I willwrite more on this when I get my new ISP installed-lol- I am not a malcontent but can relate to what you are saying. Sometimes our expectations are too high-sometimes we imagine something being a certain way. It's hard but everyone here can add in comments to welcome you!

Sincerely.sunny.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't know. I was miserable for a time, too, but you're way ahead of me. You already have great jobs and have owned your own home.

Your friend is already from the south, so she likes the area. Me, I PURPOSELY moved to the south. I knew exactly what the area and way of life was like.

I can't stress enough the importance of understanding the culture here.

There are so many people on these boards that come here on vacation, not really realizing that it can seem completely different once you move here.

I want to thank you for being completely honest about your frustration. I am sure that this will be helpful to other people that read this forum.

It just may be that you are homesick. Moving to a new area takes some adjustment.

You know, you have completely summed it up....you are very smart.
We came here for vacations, loved it, got jobs here, moved here, and it wasn't what it was on vacation. And a bit of homesickness does apply. ALthough, I NEVER want to be back in MI. It's just that you lose your familiarity, your comfort zone if you will, and everything is so overwhelming. I don't know where anything is, I spend hours trying to find things and usually end up empty handed. And when the news says something happened "insert city, road, or county" I have no idea where they are talking about!

It'll get better, I know...suck it up buttercup!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Moderator cut: quote from baned person deleted

Well, with the risk of getting blasted again, I knew that Sevier county was not that educated, but am still surprised at how poor with money the locals are. And, how POOR they are! Its sad to think that all these tourism dollars does nothing for the people born and raised here.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
I suspect "City Seacrher" wasn't being serious. How could he?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Unfortunately, CitySeacrher is as serious as a heart attack.

He doesn't live in Sevier County. He was born in Louisiana, now lives in Sarasota, Florida, and spends most of his waking moments trying to convince others that he is all that and a bag of chips, too.

Fortunately, he adds great entertainment value to the Tennessee forum!

A&E'sMom:

I understand your frustration. It felt like I was just spinning my wheels the first few months. Where to go to get the utilities hooked up? That accident was where? I wonder where THAT county is located!

It is really frustrating!

I've lived here for over 15 months and I now know a lot about the area. It will come and it will be a great feeling when it does. I now feel like a native!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,215 times
A lot of people don't really realize what the life is going to be like here.
They may investigate the area, and drive down and check it out.
They may even vacation for a couple of weeks.
They may even have a few southern friends that they've talked to, and thought, wow, I like what they are saying.

But, unless, you have really spent some time in Tennessee, once you move, it may be a whole new culture shock that you may not have ever expected.

Yes, the people are very very polite, but, don't EVER get on the wrong side of them.

We were raised that when a relative came to visit, no matter if he or she was someone 10 times removed from Aunt Thelma, we opened our home and welcomed them in. We fed them, and put them up for the night.
Southern hospitality.

If a family member was hurting, we all pitched in to help.

My Mom was a fiesty, little five foot woman. WE showed respect, and would NEVER raise our voices to her, or show any disrespect.
We said, Yes Maam, and No Maam, and Yes Sir, and No Sir.
All adults were addressed as Mr. or Mrs. so and so.
Never ever did we call them by their first name.

It's kind of hard to explain it all, cause we lived it... and thought that everybody else did too.

My husband had to get used to the many little sayings that I grew up with, that he didn't quite understand...

like "it's colder than a Well Diggers butt."
Now, that is cold...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee