U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,726,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
When are the leaf peepers out on the plateau.......
We are hoping that we can do some leaf peeping while we are there from October 27th through November 4th. Hopefully, we have timed our trip just right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 AM

849 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
We are hoping that we can do some leaf peeping while we are there from October 27th through November 4th. Hopefully, we have timed our trip just right.
We were there about the same time last year and while nice, I think the peak was probably two weeks later. But, they say it was a late peak last year because of the freeze and then the drought...

Take some pics!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:55 AM

22,091 posts, read 16,924,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
That was the right time in 2006 but in 2007, I can tell you peak fall folliage in Oak Ridge was the week before Thanksgiving. I know because every day I went out with my camera (my peak Fall foliage photos are dated 11/16 and 11/15/2007) to check. In fact, twice, I think, they had to delay leaf pick up in Oak Ridge because the leaves weren't on the ground when they normally are on the ground.

I'm not sure how we're doing this year drought-wise. It seems like we've had more rain than last year and you don't hear about it as much as last year. Anybody know how we're doing in comparison to last year at this time?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,496 times
Default Rain Totals

The normal rainfall for Knoxville through July is 31.2 inches. Last year January-July was 19.4, and this year through today is 25.3. So it's better, but not up to normal.

Last year's total was 34.4" versus a normal 45.3."

Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM

11,775 posts, read 11,312,926 times
I presume that more rain brings the sugar level up in the leafs where it takes longer to turn....... just curious.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM

30 posts, read 145,477 times
Just 'buttin' right in here, sorry, what do you all call the 'plateau'? I have heard this before, but curious as to what it encompases - can you give me a rough idea of the how to know what area this is? I am looking to live at a higher elevation, and I think where I am looking is on 'the plateau', but curious as to where all this is. Thanks so much! Linda

Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM

22,091 posts, read 16,924,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleriver View Post
Just 'buttin' right in here, sorry, what do you all call the 'plateau'? I have heard this before, but curious as to what it encompases - can you give me a rough idea of the how to know what area this is? I am looking to live at a higher elevation, and I think where I am looking is on 'the plateau', but curious as to where all this is. Thanks so much! Linda
This is a pretty good description:

The Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 PM

11,775 posts, read 11,312,926 times
If you go to Google map.Then go to Dayton,TN then on the upper right corner of the map click on terrain you will get a topographical map and you can see the elevation. Drag the map north and south and east and west very detailed. Route 111 just north of Soddy-Daisy is a beautiful road to drive takes you to Dunlap........

Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 AM

Thanks, Laura, that helps, too. Linda

Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM

Tinman, thanks to you, too. I thought I had already posted a reply to you, but I don't see it here - maybe it ended up on another forum!! lol I'm kinda new at this still.
Anyway, what I was asking is how do you get the elevation on the google map? I clicked on the terrain, but didn't see any elevations listed. From the way the map shows, it almost looks like Dayton is in a valley, not on a plateau. I think I am 'map challenged' lol. Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee