U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM

11,543 posts, read 11,132,610 times
Question ALDI Supermarkets Tennessee

Has any one ever shopped at a ALDI and whats your opinion . I see their in TN but where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 PM

97 posts, read 257,045 times
I live in NY. My boyfriend and I are 20, we have our own apartment. Being young, we don't make a whole lot so we shop at ALDI's. It's VERY, VERY, VERY cheap and still VERY good. If you go spend $200.00 at your normal/local supermarket, you can get the same stuff for $80.00 at ALDI's. It's great, really, especially for the value.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,106,659 times
they're here in Chattanooga.

Here's how our experience was....I said casually to LW, "oh, there's an Aldi...let's check it out" We walk in, go up one aisle, look at the stuff, and I declare "ok, I've seen enough--let's go!"

that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM

97 posts, read 257,045 times
Hahaha, is it that bad there? TriDad? That sucks, it's great here in NY.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,250,865 times
There's at least one in Nashville.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM

41 posts, read 132,239 times
They are building one in Cookeville on South Jefferson Avenue, right across the street from Kroger.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:10 PM

11,543 posts, read 11,132,610 times
Their parting the waters here.... the greatest thing since peanut butter. I never heard of them. I was just curious and wondering.... seeing I'm heading that way. I'll check the one out in Cookeville.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM

598 posts, read 1,207,644 times
I love my excursions to Aldi. Off the top of my head, there are stores in Hendersonville, Smyrna, Madison, So. Nash on Mboro Rd and some others I think. I believe the H.G. Hill store in East Nashville is converting to an Aldi as we speak.

Sure, it's not your typical grocery. Most groceries stock 15-25,000 items, Aldi stocks about 1000. Among my favorite buys: The frozen meats, milk, and produce (it's better than I find at Kroger). Delicious cashews for a buck.39, good olive oil for a couple of bucks (not the tiny bottle). The canned goods are mostly excellent. If you find one you don't like, don't buy it again.

I enjoy the theme-park-like check out too. It's a challenge for a spoiled little man in Inglewood to try to keep up with the checkers as you try to get things back into your cart before they stack up on the conveyor. Okay, maybe I need a life, but I find that fun. A few minutes of self-bagging later and you're on your way where your biggest problem is finding space to put all that stuff.

Aldi makes great sense. It's a German firm whose standards are very high. And what you wear doesn't matter. I hated that when I lived in Green Hills, I had to shower and dress just to hit the Kroger. For some, it doesn't suit their sensibilities, and that's fine. That's what overpricing due to facilities and fixtures is all about. And you pay a premium to look at all the pretty people at Whole Foods and Harris Teeter. But, if you're budget conscious and know that you're there to buy food and not join a fashion parade, then Aldi is a good, good deal.

Among things I find unacceptable are pet food, detergents, paper goods, cleaning supplies (medicines)...it's all on par with a Dollar General. IMO, if you have to buy cheap stuff like that, I guess you have to. But, if there are options, buy the better things of that nature at your more conventional stores.

Give it a shot. Leave your preconceived notions (and uncomfortable shoes) about shopping at home....and enjoy.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,106,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
Hahaha, is it that bad there? TriDad? That sucks, it's great here in NY.
it wasn't horrible. I second InglewoodDave....you should check it out for yourself.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 PM

8,961 posts, read 20,774,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
I love my excursions to Aldi. Off the top of my head, there are stores in Hendersonville, Smyrna, Madison, So. Nash on Mboro Rd and some others I think. I believe the H.G. Hill store in East Nashville is converting to an Aldi as we speak.

Sure, it's not your typical grocery. Most groceries stock 15-25,000 items, Aldi stocks about 1000. Among my favorite buys: The frozen meats, milk, and produce (it's better than I find at Kroger). Delicious cashews for a buck.39, good olive oil for a couple of bucks (not the tiny bottle). The canned goods are mostly excellent. If you find one you don't like, don't buy it again.

I enjoy the theme-park-like check out too. It's a challenge for a spoiled little man in Inglewood to try to keep up with the checkers as you try to get things back into your cart before they stack up on the conveyor. Okay, maybe I need a life, but I find that fun. A few minutes of self-bagging later and you're on your way where your biggest problem is finding space to put all that stuff.

Aldi makes great sense. It's a German firm whose standards are very high. And what you wear doesn't matter. I hated that when I lived in Green Hills, I had to shower and dress just to hit the Kroger. For some, it doesn't suit their sensibilities, and that's fine. That's what overpricing due to facilities and fixtures is all about. And you pay a premium to look at all the pretty people at Whole Foods and Harris Teeter. But, if you're budget conscious and know that you're there to buy food and not join a fashion parade, then Aldi is a good, good deal.

Among things I find unacceptable are pet food, detergents, paper goods, cleaning supplies (medicines)...it's all on par with a Dollar General. IMO, if you have to buy cheap stuff like that, I guess you have to. But, if there are options, buy the better things of that nature at your more conventional stores.

Give it a shot. Leave your preconceived notions (and uncomfortable shoes) about shopping at home....and enjoy.
That is about the best description of shopping at Aldi as I've ever heard.

I shopped at Aldi all the time when I lived in France. It's nothing luxurious, and I still prefer Publix. But for the basics it's a bargain. Just remember to bring a quarter so you can rent a shopping cart (you get the quarter back when you return the shopping cart where it's supposed to be).

I'm thrilled Aldi is finally opening a store in Cookeville, and I wish they'd expand over here to Knoxville, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee