U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:26 AM

203 posts, read 692,975 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'd like to move my family from northern CA to the Johnson City area. I've read threads here saying the cost of a gallon of milk can sometimes push $4.99. I paid $4.29 for 2 gal. yesterday. I thought the cost of living was lower there. Does anyone know of a website that I can go to in order to compare the cost of things like bread, butter, milk, and cereal? What about school clothes and supplies for the kids? What does a pair of jeans cost (I know if depends on the store you shop at, but average)?

In order to be sure that this is something that will be beneficial for us, I want to have as much information as possible. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,701,492 times
We paid $3.19 a gallon of milk yesterday, that was store brand. Mayfield milk is $4.09 a gallon. Bread is about $1.09 for store brand wheat. Large box of Cheerios is about $2.39. This is about the same in Wal-Mart or Food-City.
AS for kids jeans, in Goodies (clothing store here) it is about $17.00 plus 9.75% tax which makes it about $19.00. There is a store here in J.C. that I go to first when shopping for clothes that is called the Rigged Warehouse, you may or may not have that store there? They are an outlet type store that gets mostly name brand stuff that is either out of season or misses. You have to look close, but I have found really great deals and can not find a thing wrong with any of the clothes and they wear and wash well. I get the boys jeans, Tommy Hilfingers, Aropostle (sp?) and such others for $5.00 to $8.00 a pair! Nice school, church clothes from $2.00 to $10.00. It is hit and miss whether they have a good selection or not, but very worth the trip when they do.
I believe J.C. Penny's and Sears and other such national chains are priced the same no matter what state they are in?
Hope that helps.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM

Sure does, mbmouse. It looks like the bread and cereal are a bit cheaper. I'll have to remember that clothing store when I finally get there. Sounds like you can find some great deals, and considering how quickly kids grow once they hit 10 or 11, I certainly want to find as many deals as possible.

I wonder, though, how these reports can say that the cost of living is so much lower there, when it seems like prices aren't that different. I guess it will take a trip out to actually compare specific items.

Thanks again, for your time.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 AM

16 posts, read 97,513 times
I'm from CA been here 2 years loving it. Think house taxes in the county for a 2000 sg ft. house on a nice acre I pay $300 a year. If you live in the city you will pay city tax and county tax on your house still much lower than CA. House insurance with Farm bur. is around $400 year. You won't pay personel income tax here. Some cd's and retirement programs you will pay a tax check with the state for that. Gas here right now is $1.99 - $2.15. Liq. is high and you have to buy at a package store and there are some counties that are dry. We have TVA electric, having one of the lowest electric bills in the country. Depending on what type of work you do you will make less money in most cases. Kingsport has Eastman K. I work in the nursing field wages are the same here as there. Milk and cheese is higher meat seems cheaper and hotdogs that sell for $3.99 same brand here is 79 cents. It all depends on what you eat. Not happy with fish here and special breads are not to be found. We take a road trip to Ashville and get some of the things we miss. It dosn't take long to get to different areas cause we don't have traffic like CA. there are trade offs but the people are like living in the 1950's they are so nice.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 AM

16 posts, read 97,513 times
Oh I forgot to tell you you hardley ever have to water your yard here. We get wonderful rain showers then the sun comes out. It is like AZ monsunes (sp) Everythings grows so easy.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 12,492 times
to catoga, Thought I might let you in on something we have here in Indiana. I don't know if they have a name for them but there are places out in the county where people buy things they need at incredibly discounted prices!!! We affectionately call them "the co-op". When you drive through very small towns look for them on the outskirts, or talk to the locals and ask them where they buy their groceries. We live out in the county and can't be driving 40 miles one way just for a few items. We have two such places that are within fifteen miles of the farm. We raise bostons and himi/persians and go through A LOT of dog food. I could go 10 to 15 miles farther, and buy beniful at walmart and pay about 13.49 a bag, OR I could check to discount mart and 6.00 a bag. No brainer, don't you think? They have lots of name brand items that are damaged but with great expiration dates. Or they're not damaged at all! Pounce kitty treats for 85cents a bag? A while ago I snagged Tidy cats crystals in these giant jugs for 3.50 a piece! A jug 1/3 that size at walmart is 7-8 dollars! Breakfast cereal is typically 1.00 to 2.25 per box. You NEED to take a drive out of the "BIG" town and get out with the local farm families, the money you will save will definitely be worth your while!!! Good luck and God Bless!

Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,201,945 times
Here's a link you might find helpful in comparison of cost of living from one place to another.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...=form&x=37&y=9

Old 01-20-2007, 02:20 PM

Wow! I forgot that property taxes and home insurance are way less there. Right now for about 1700 sq. ft. on 2/3 acre, we pay over $3000/yr for tax and insurance combined. And the cost of gas...what I wouldn't give to pay even $2.15. We're at $2.50+ right now. I guess those things balance out the other stuff and make it generally less expensive. I know the housing costs are WAY less there.

Regardless, I REALLY want to get out of here and be there. Patience has never been one of my strong points, so waiting until 2008 is going to be a challenge. I am so tired of the hustle and bustle and go, go, go. Always in a hurry to go here and there. And people here are soooo rude! I admit that I get in a zone and don't really notice the people around me sometimes, but even when I do and I smile, people look at me weird.

Anyway, thanks for all the info!

Old 01-20-2007, 04:36 PM

408 posts, read 1,775,244 times
Although the prices listed will be sale prices, you could look up the sales ads for the stores in the area.
www.foodcity.com
www.kroger.com
There is a Super Kmart that has ads too so you may could look at the Kmart site and find the food ad.
There is an Ingles in Elizabethton (don't think I've seen one in JC). And a store called White's Fresh Foods in the area. They may have a website.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:34 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,701,492 times
There is an Ingles off Roan st. in Boones Creek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or