Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

We got our tag renewal letters today. Imagine my surprise to see that it will cost us $60 a piece to renew our tags! Yikes!

It looks like some counties only charge $24 and others tack on a county motor vehicle privilege tax!

Does anybody know about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
I didn't look, notice or CARE what was what when we first registered our cars in TN. I simply asked, incredulously, "That's for one, right?" The total still would have been delightfully low for one vehicle, but for two?! Yahoo!! We immediately left to celebrate over a nice Southern lunch. (See hiknapster, I can always take it back to food!)

Old 01-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Absolutely. I agree. I thought to register and insure our two cars in Tennessee was very reasonable!

It's this renewal thing that is surprising me.

Bear in mind that it is the first thing that I have found in the state to be kind of a rip-off, so I'm not agonizing over it. I was just wondering about this county privilege tax that clearly not all counties impose. I'm still looking for a house to buy, so it is a consideration, although a VERY small one.

Just wondering what other people think.

On the positive side, I think I found a good Polish restaurant in Oak Ridge. I'm thinking of getting some pierogies on Friday for lunch!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Exclamation Hamilton co.-Low rate.

H: Just did our Two S.U.V's today, Hamilton co,(Chattanooga) so at $21.50 this is bargain. Transfer title out of state,$5 and new metal plate $8, but good for 5 years. This seems good Question for the state Retiree Tenn promotion web-site.?? Our Newspaper TimesFreePress.com is starting a daily feature on BabyBOOMERs, also our Region#8 attract retiree. I will ask about this sliding scale veh reg rate.! . Even at a $10/yr Emission test, seem still under budget. Gave me a chance to practise PARALLEL Parking on a city street, and look for a parking METER that still had time on the clock. ! Wow maybe eight years ago since city reverse park.!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Hi Split! Your renewals in Hamilton County will simply be $24 a piece. You don't have the weird county privilege tax.

I guess we finally figured out why Knox County people have their plates registered in Anderson County. It's the difference of $60 and $24!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hi Split! Your renewals in Hamilton County will simply be $24 a piece. You don't have the weird county privilege tax.

I guess we finally figured out why Knox County people have their plates registered in Anderson County. It's the difference of $60 and $24!
But it's a PRIVILEGE to pay more. You are a credit to your county.

So besides Knox Pride what do you get for the extra money? Maybe they use the extra money for air pollution programs.

Think of it like this, you don't have to go for emissions tests and Hamilton, Davidson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson and Wilson Counties, do. They pay for that, right?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We got our tag renewal letters today. Imagine my surprise to see that it will cost us $60 a piece to renew our tags! Yikes!

It looks like some counties only charge $24 and others tack on a county motor vehicle privilege tax!

Does anybody know about this?
Oh this really gets on my nerves! A few years ago Knox County had a budget "crisis" and was about to increase property taxes. Well, people revolted, and a petition forced the property tax increase to be put on the ballot. It was voted down by a huge percentage. So then the county commission, rather than cutting the budget, enacted a wheel tax.

grrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 01-22-2007, 06:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh this really gets on my nerves! A few years ago Knox County had a budget "crisis" and was about to increase property taxes. Well, people revolted, and a petition forced the property tax increase to be put on the ballot. It was voted down by a huge percentage. So then the county commission, rather than cutting the budget, enacted a wheel tax.

grrrrrrrrrrrr
From the quick blip on the news tonight, it looks like Washington County will add to the vote an option to choose from: .08 increase in property tax and a $25 wheel tax or no wheel tax and .38 property tax increase. So either our property taxes are going up $20 per 100k or $45 per 100k.
Still cheep in my book.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Aha! So that's the deal. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
From the quick blip on the news tonight, it looks like Washington County will add to the vote an option to choose from: .08 increase in property tax and a $25 wheel tax or no wheel tax and .38 property tax increase. So either our property taxes are going up $20 per 100k or $45 per 100k.
Still cheep in my book.
I agree, it is cheap, but there will have to come a time when enough is enough. Taxes in Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, etc., weren't increased dramatically overnight. It was a slow, gradual set of increases over a long period of time. I do NOT want us to be lulled into a false sense of security here and just take tax increases as a fact of life, no matter how small they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee