U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-29-2007, 05:34 AM

1,775 posts, read 5,120,677 times
Well about the diagnositcs, i should have been more clear with that. I'm talking about diagnostics and repairs on the newest technology like 1 or 2 year old cars with all the little gadgets. There's several places here in FL that will send them to the dealer for repair. It's forever changing at least in the Cadillacs my husband works on. I mean now there are windshield wipers that automatically turn on if the windshield senses dew on them. Thats insane to me. But yeah, there were some guys my husband worked with at other dealers who tried anything to make a buck and my husband often would give them his opinion on the matter of "it's jut not right to do". He's very honest with his customers and if your brakes are only half worn down, that's what he'll tell them and let them make the decision.

With him doing warrently work, he does do the same thing over again with engines and transmissions quite often but that's also how he can turn in a lot of hours because he does them quick. It's just not for everyone to do the same job over and over again and in fact a lot of the guys he works for would rather do the quick easy stuff. He worked for chevrolet for 3 years and it was the same thing. he worked on the engines and transmissions but just on a different vehicle.

About the schools, they probably are great as i've never had her in any school yet that didn't treat her right but then again, it's not like we can just pop in and expect the school is prepared to teach a blind child. We do have to give them quite a notice of when to expect us (at least to have what is needed for her). It took our schools over 1 year to get the entire school year books brailled for her. There was an aid who would hand braille her school work and book pages for almost 1 year. it's just a slow process that wasn't in the schools control because they had to order them specially but we will definately look into the schools before we make any decision if we even move before she's done school. it may be easier to just wait it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-31-2007, 06:16 AM

216 posts, read 451,942 times
From what I know the dealers in Knoxville pay well. If he is willing to work on BMW and you consider BMW. They new dealership is up and running. They have grown a lot in just the 2 months at the new location. I know I enjoy working here (I do not work on cars though), I have a friend movin up from FL to start here as a tech.

Unread 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 20,131 times
Can I ask, why are all the techs from Florida moving away? My husband and I are from NY (Long Island) and we are thinking of relocating to Florida later this year. He has been a GM tech for over 18 years (ASE certified). Can I ask how the salaries were in Florida (in regard to average hours made a week)? Where in Florida were you? We're looking in the Brandon area.

Thanks

Unread 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM

21,439 posts, read 28,153,554 times
My husband made decent money in Fort Myers, he was a shop foreman for four years. His boss gave him an enormous Christmas bonus every year and then showed up at our place every Christmas Eve to drop off presents for our daughter. We rented a place from him at a very reduced rate. He adored my husband and we adored him.

Alas, he retired and sold the business.

My husband could have found another job somewhere else. He was never without a job in Florida for more than a day. In fact, other shope were always trying to woo him away.

But the money that we made there would never allow us to buy a house there.

It may be that the other folks are just upset about their insurance and tax rates.

We just wanted a simpler life with decent southern people. Unfortunately, many Floridians are coming here, also. And we still haven't bought a house.

Unread 02-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Geee....
We live in FL now and my husband has a great job with Cadillac/Toyato. Been there 6 years now. He averages 50 or more hours a week but he does the big jobs and does them quick. He works on Cadillacs mainly. Most other guys in the shop barely make 40. He's up to $24/hr but they also sent him to school to get his World Class GM award so that might have a little something to do with his pay rate. It's just rough working outdoors in the summer months when it's 90+ degrees and your working on a hot car that just came in. It's bad enough the hot days make you tired but add working on top of that. I mean if you can find a dealership who has air conditioned bays, great but unlikely. The dealership my husband works at just opened up their new shop in October. went from 10 bays to 24 bays and they spent a fortune on the place but no air conditioning inside for them. Just huge fans that are supposed to suck the air out. Anyways, we're just ready for a change and move while we're still young. We still enjoy FL but we've done all the beach things and are ready to do the mountain hiking and things. Summers are just too darn hot and need i mention the hurricanes? we're only 20 minutes from the west coast and i know it's only time before we get hit directly. We're not moving because of our insurance rates or taxes. we bought a fixer upper 7 years ago and fixed it up to our liking but if your moving down here or planning to build a home, you may get whacked with the taxes etc. Especially in Brandon, Tampa area. make sure you look into that before you move. You know on those cold winter days you like to stay in to keep warm? well on those hot summer days here, it's the same only we stay indoors in the air conditioning. Brandon is a big place. should have no problem finding plenty of work. Tampa and Orlando are not far in either direction too. We live about an north of Tampa and an hour west of Orlando. Funny you say your from N.Y. reminds me of a tech that just started at my husbands place from N.Y. and i can't remember what he complained about but he quite a month later and moved back to N.Y. said it wasn't for him to be here working.

Unread 02-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Hi -
Thanks for the information. My husband spoke to a couple of dealers in the area and was told the guys average about 55 hours a week. My husband is pretty good at what he does (thankfully) and where we are is earning over 6 figures. We know he will take a cut down there but as I'm sure you know, it's not so much the hourly rate difference as the number of hours made a week. He actually looking to work in the Brandon area and we are looking to move to Fishhawk. Any additional input would be appreciated.
thanks

Unread 02-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Be very careful.

My husband is ASE certified. His is 38 and doing this his entire career. He has been to school for auto tech and auto body. He was one of the best in the area. I know, I use to work with him before I even dated him.

He has worked in Fort Myers and Naples. I can't even count how many shops have told him that they had all those hours and it didn't pan out. My husbnad got so fed up that he finally insisted on guaranteed salary. He even has it here in East Tennessee, and they don't pay very well.

My husband has never made six figures. It is usually about 38,000. This is the south and I include Florida in this. I suspect that you are coming from up north.

Also bear in mind that salaries do not keep up with housing and cost of living in Florida.

If you do need anymore info, PM me, because I do not want to discuss this on the Tennessee forum.

Thanks!

Unread 02-05-2007, 04:19 PM

That is so true that salaries do not increase as fast as cost of living here in FL. That is probably true for the whole country. My husband has never made 6 figures and he's been doing this for 20 years but he averages $65000 a year here in FL. I would find it very hard to believe an auto tech in FL could make 6 figures. My husband lived in the Tampa area before i met him and that was also unheard of down there. Don't want to discourage you but if he's making 6 figures up there expect to take quite a cut.

Unread 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM

No - we weren't expecting the same salary - I know that's good money and it's only reached that the past few years. Just trying to get an idea of how it is down there. $65,000. is a nice amount. We'll be able to buy without carrying a mortgage, once we sell up here, so we'd benefit from that off the bat.

Can I ask, do you think salaries will be higher closer to Tampa? Bottom line is are the shops busy enough to make the hours? If there's enough business, everyone can do well. Has the dealerships slowed down at all? The service departments up here have slowed down quite a bit over the last few months. Still doing about 55-65 hours a week but some days are spotty.

Unread 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM

This is the Tennessee forum. Not good city-data etiquette to be posting these questions here. I would suggest that you post them in Florida forum or PM Danielle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee