Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM

67 posts, read 383,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Wait 'till you see an Assassin Bug! Better have a defibrillator handy . . . LOL
I am scared to ask...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM

67 posts, read 383,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Some strange bugs of Tennessee..... Would not show them too the little ones.. Click on the Black & White images on the left panel for the sub group..... In the search box enter state

Strange bugs in East Tennessee (aliens maybe lol) - Dynastes tityus - BugGuide.Net
oh my goodness - the ones on the first page you linked to are going to give me nightmares!!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
There is a very scary bug that is only found in Cumberland County Tennessee. It is a very pretty bug. But quite annoying! It comes out just after sunset. It flitters here and there, circling around your head. It makes this buzzing sound that is so annoying. Sometimes it will land right behind your ear and just buzz buzz buzz. You try to swat it but it is too fast. You end up looking like an idiot, swatting yourself in the head! You may have heard of this bug. It is called a 2mares!!!!!!!!Swat it for me okay??

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,773 times
Post Assassin Bug, Check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fntintn View Post
I am scared to ask...
These guys are not poisonous or dangerous, but they can and will bite if they are picked up or land on your shirt collar without your noticing. A VERY painful bite, btw. They grab other insects and suck them dry. They also can damage garden plants as they will suck those dry too! They have wings and fly. You will spot them under your front porch light at night. Their are many different varieties, and they are considered a beneficial insect because of their predatory nature. They are considered a "true insect" and are related to the shield bug, stink bug, and wheel bug.

Assassin Bug

I had to take "Bugs" in college . . . I'm not afraid of any of them, but do respect them, especially the stinging, biting ones!

Tracey
North Western NC

Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
The FBIa is also looking for bugs... Dennis Kunkel Microscopy, Inc. Microscopy and Science Education Web Site

Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennia View Post
OMG. You guys have scared the hell out of me with these bug stories... I should be moving to Clarksville area in a few months and will spend alot of time alone if / when my husband is deployed. I better start some psychotherapy so that I can handle the bugs on my own... Oh ewwwww.......
When I was in Clarksville, I remember in the early summer months, these big old bugs would be everywhere on the cars, road, clothes hanging outside and so on....don't know the official name, but we and locals called them "June Bugs"....had a hard shell I remember....not the best memories of Clarksville...

Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Cool big old bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
When I was in Clarksville, I remember in the early summer months, these big old bugs would be everywhere on the cars, road, clothes hanging outside and so on....don't know the official name, but we and locals called them "June Bugs"....had a hard shell I remember....not the best memories of Clarksville...
Is this the bug your thinking of ...The Life Cycle of the Seventeen Year Cicada Photo Gallery by Russ P at pbase.com

Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Nah June bugs comes every year in early summer (hence the name). I'm not sure what their scientific name is. They're green and about the size of a grape.

June bugs are harmless. In the old days kids would tie a string around the bugs and fly them like a model airplane.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Did that as a kid with flies.........

Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 PM

14 posts, read 78,122 times
Cool Chattanooga Tennessee has more bugs than anywhere

those bugs with all the legs are called house centipedes i've heard they're harmless and they eat other bugs so enjoy them but they still creep me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee