Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,489 times

Advertisements

I feel sadness about this thread. I am moving back to East TN after living in WA for the last 20 years. The reality is, I had no choice in moving to WA as a child and I have never really fit in here. TN has been my home since day one - and now as an adult - I am returning. There's nothing I want more than to sit on the porch in the eve with my papaw again.

When we moved to WA I was made fun of terribly for being from the south and for my accent (which I had to take speech class to "correct"). I can't wait to be back in TN, I just hope that the WA accent doesn't send judgement my way.

I really love TN and consider it my home, my roots. I also look forward to learning more about the history, culture and meeting nice folks along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Well, this New Jersey gun(s) owning, F250 4x4 driving, church attending, raiser of polite children is bound and determined to get my family to TN when the time is right job-wise. Although I clearly understand the local's sentiments, you can't always judge a person by their license plates.

As I stated in another thread some time ago, I'm looking to leave NJ, not drag it with me. My $.02.

Doc1

Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Well, this New Jersey gun(s) owning, F250 4x4 driving, church attending, raiser of polite children is bound and determined to get my family to TN when the time is right job-wise. Although I clearly understand the local's sentiments, you can't always judge a person by their license plates.

As I stated in another thread some time ago, I'm looking to leave NJ, not drag it with me. My $.02.

Doc1
Yes DOC1 , me too , I am trying to leave NJ behind too, and also not bring it with me.I live down the Jersey shore and CAN understand the comment about all the stores being built, we also have it here. We have 2 new strip malls , where woods were, but you see no stores are rushing in to occupy them, so they sit empty,Geez, a choice between woods or empty stores?I also think you have get to know the person .

Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 AM

660 posts, read 2,441,052 times
i would just like to say to all the people on here that feel offended by whats been said that arent from tennesee and would like to move here
nobodys saying that you cant come just as long as you dont try to change the nice laid back atmosphere
i'm from nyc born and raised for the most part and i myself have joined in on the bashing
all that these people is saying that as long as you try to fit in and not expect things to change for you just because you've graced them with your presence
then you'll be well recieved with open arms
simple as that

Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 AM

130 posts, read 566,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I did not specifically say Florida, so I dont know where that came from. And Joe, just because you have moved here doesn't make you an expert on living here.
I was born and raised here and can tell you on good authority that the people moving here are changing it and not in a good way. People in Nashville are being priced out of their neighborhoods just like people from Orlando are going through right now.

I see 2 lane roads with no shoulders that werent meant for traffic being destroyed by hummers and BMWs flying down them. Littering everywhere. I see McMansions displacing wildlife and replacing beautiful hills with pavement.

I see Targets and Starbucks popping up in fields next to cows - places that werent meant to have such things.

Before the influx there was no need for such things. People here did just fine with local business and lived here for the serenity.

I get so sad seeing all of this and on top of it all the most rude and obnoxious "im better than you and make more money" drivers in the world. It takes me 45 minutes to go 11 miles at best for work.

So in conclusion, yes they are moving here in droves and changing the landscape to be JUST what it was where they came from. The pollution, the insane real estate prices, etc.

So maybe we're not the ones with a frozen brain after all. Maybe we see the big picture here.
Okay, Moderator cut: insulting I never claimed to be an expert and as I clearly articulated, I can't speak for anyone but me and how I see it.

If you are under the impression that Nashville represents the state as a whole, you're simply delusional. How someone can live in the second largest city in a state and complain that it's too “city” for their taste I simply can not comprehend as that's what city living is all about. I mean, personally, if I didn't like city living I'd move elsewhere (probably not Detroit or Las Vegas as I understand they are somewhat lacking in cow fields too) but then again, what do I know, it's not like I'm an expert or sumpin'.

Where can I see these 2 lane roads with no shoulders that weren’t meant for traffic? I mean, isn't the fact that it's a road indicate that perhaps it's there for the purpose of automobile based travel? And just how much more damage does a Hummer or BMW do to a road as opposed to a Ford F350? Or a tractor....

You'd be hard pressed to convince me that the litter issue is attributable to people relocating. A quick trip through this area shows a lot more litter than I can tolerate and when I see a stove or sofa rotting in the woods that has been there since 1930, I don't automatically think "those darn Florida people again."

If it does in fact take you 45 minutes to drive 11 miles you might want to consider walking since you're moving at a pedestrian pace anyway. That, or at the very least, make sure your emergency brake isn't applied. Does your car smell kind of funny? Sort of a smoky burned rubber odor? That very well may be it….

In closing, if your "big picture" is cow pasture and horse farms in downtown Nashville, the second largest city in the state, that's a good picture, but I'd bet you are the only person that can see it.

Moderator cut: rude

Joe

Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM

52 posts, read 286,833 times
A couple of comments on this thread….

Change – embrace it, it is happening everywhere and is not necessarily a bad thing. Whether it’s a newcomer’s idea or a local’s, if it make things better for all, why not? An example is the expansion of the hospital in Cookeville, it’s a good thing but it is change. I’m not saying you need to think or live like someone from Florida or anywhere else, but like a Tennessean in the 21st century. Never shut the door on new ideas, you can learn something from everyone. Take the good and leave the rest. (I’m sure I would learn a lot from living in TN, new ideas, ways of looking at things differently)

Rude people – They are everywhere. Treat people like you like to be treated and you usually get the same in return. People that are rude are just that way, ignore them. I am sure not every single person living in Tennessee is a nice person. Accept people for who they are but don’t prejudge them, you’ll be wrong more than you think.

Zoning – No I would not want to buy or build a new house next to a trailer home. It’s a matter of investment, not a social one. If I build a $180k home and next year the person next door puts in a mobile home and it drops the values of my home to $160k, should I welcome that? For that same reason I don’t think the person living in a trailer wants an air port built next door.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Went to college in Memphis.
Have family in Chattanooga.
Grew up in Lawrenceburg.
Live in Spring Hill. 30 Miles SOUTH of Nashville.

Lived in SF
Lived in Chicago
Lived in Orlando

Take your self righteous Northern talk somewhere else buddy. It's people like you that are making TN go downhill. Your comments back just show how blind you really are. And Johnson City? Please. Brother went to Med school there and although beautiful, you have no idea how little that area represents what I am talking about.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 AM

130 posts, read 566,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
Went to college in Memphis.
Have family in Chattanooga.
Grew up in Lawrenceburg.
Live in Spring Hill. 30 Miles SOUTH of Nashville.

Lived in SF
Lived in Chicago
Lived in Orlando

Take your self righteous Northern talk somewhere else buddy. It's people like you that are making TN go downhill. Your comments back just show how blind you really are. And Johnson City? Please. Brother went to Med school there and although beautiful, you have no idea how little that area represents what I am talking about.

Well, this is the last post I'll create regarding your myopic Moderator cut: insulting views but I think the problem lies in your own last sentence...exactly what are you talking about?

Thirty miles from Nashville (Tennessee's second largest city as I recall) is too city, and Johnson City is immune from the problem you are experiencing? Well then I guess that's why I'm here and happy and you're grumpy and stuck in traffic, huh?

Anyway, as I mentioned, I'm through trying to debate the point as I'm not even sure what you're point is now. I believe it had something to do with BMW's being bad for the road (still trying to figure that one out by the way) but you seem rather content to lament your situation than to embrace it or change it. With that I bid you well Moderator cut: rude
Joe

Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 AM

89 posts, read 122,057 times
The Floridians that are hated the most in Georgia are the ones that have a home in Georgia and one in Florida. They stay here most of the year but claim that there main home is in Florida that way they dont have to pay the Georgia taxes its really a slap in the face. I thought the worse thing to see behind your vehicle was a trooper but know its a Floridians SUV pulling a u-haul makes me cringe.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:43 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brax View Post
A couple of comments on this thread….

Change – embrace it, it is happening everywhere and is not necessarily a bad thing. Whether it’s a newcomer’s idea or a local’s, if it make things better for all, why not? An example is the expansion of the hospital in Cookeville, it’s a good thing but it is change. I’m not saying you need to think or live like someone from Florida or anywhere else, but like a Tennessean in the 21st century. Never shut the door on new ideas, you can learn something from everyone. Take the good and leave the rest. (I’m sure I would learn a lot from living in TN, new ideas, ways of looking at things differently)

Rude people – They are everywhere. Treat people like you like to be treated and you usually get the same in return. People that are rude are just that way, ignore them. I am sure not every single person living in Tennessee is a nice person. Accept people for who they are but don’t prejudge them, you’ll be wrong more than you think.

Zoning – No I would not want to buy or build a new house next to a trailer home. It’s a matter of investment, not a social one. If I build a $180k home and next year the person next door puts in a mobile home and it drops the values of my home to $160k, should I welcome that? For that same reason I don’t think the person living in a trailer wants an air port built next door.
I agree with you in what you are speaking of in essence of change as far as hospital care, technology improvement etc. These are of course better for everyone, no matter what state we are speaking of.
But as far as what you are speaking of in zoning, I disagree with you. Being able to do what you want with your property, weather it is to put a mobile on it, or have goats and chickens or pigs or to build a Mcmansion and mow your lawn using a ruler to make sure every blade is the same hight. This should be your choice, not regulated. This is what the great people of TN do NOT want to change. They also don't want to see there great farm land bulldozed over with cement. Growth, yes, growth at the rate of a tornado coming through, no. Gated communities with homeowners associations and exorbitant property prices, no.

A note about the value of a home of two different qualities being on adjoining properties. If your house is valued at 180k having a mobile home put next door to that will NOT decrease the value of your home. It will still gain the typical equity growth year after year with proper maintenance. Homes are valued here in TN by comparable homes within 5 to 10 miles of your home. Square footage, age, amenities, etc. That mobile next door will not be used in any way to value your house. Will it make a difference if you are trying to sell that house? Maybe. Sure there will be folks that don't want that mobile next door to them, but there are just as many potential buyers that know how property values work here that it won't bother them at all and will be happy to pay the 180k if they like the house.
As a note, yes there are more "restricted" subdivisions going up with that restriction being that area of land can not be used for a mobile. But don't expect that outside of a planned sub division and those wanting 2-5 acres of land, won't find those restrictions. I guess you have to decide which is more important to you, land or what the house next door looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee