Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 AM

20,225 posts, read 19,784,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC38506 View Post
Speaking as a native Tennessean, our biggest problems with outsiders that that they usually come with an attitude of "aiding the great unwashed". In other words, they see us as ignorant hicks whom they will condescend to enlighten on the ways of the big, wide world outside our fair state. They usually come in with stereotypes of the Beverly Hillbillies or Jerry Springer. They VERY often decide that our values are narrow-minded and try to change things in a way that isn't necessarily better. Those "narrow-minded", quit-whining and straighten out your own mess attitudes are what make Tennessee a great place to be. The "behave yourself or Mom'll whoop you with a switch", or even the shame heaped on someone who behaves in an unseemly manner are what keep our society livable. There are expectations here, especially for behavior. Children are taught to say, "Yes, ma'am", and "no, sir" and to hold a door open for their elders. "Sass" isn't tolerated. Yet for those things, we are often considered backward or narrow-minded. That, in a nutshell, is the problem we have with about 10-15% of those who move into our area. The other 85-90% are looked on as assets to our community whom we welcome and embrace as our own, because they see beyond the accent to a community of decent people who, due to financial hardship, may not have the advantages of formal education but who most definitely have a Ph.D. in Common Sense from the School of Hard Times.

If the characteristics you just mentioned are considered backwards, then you better leave the light on and make room for three more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 AM

60 posts, read 307,763 times
You'd be welcome!!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,410,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've been ranting and raving for months now about how Tennessee will be taken over by the same folks that ruined Florida. I guess everyone is starting to realize it's true.

I've moved here because I hated the lifestyle and people there. End of story.

These folks coming are not looking for a southern lifestyle. They are riled up about their homeowner's insurance and taxes. They will try to change this place. I know it.

I'm sad to say this, but I can identify these jerks from the moment they open their mouths, and it isn't because of accents. It's their self-centered attitude.
I AGREE with you so much, because that's exactly the motive here!!!
Now everyone is scrambling out of the state, and over run the much advertised southern states of Georgia, NC, SC as well as TN. You should see the advertisement here in FL about "coming to TN and own your acres"...etc.etc.etc. (I see Wilder Mountain, and places near Chattanooga heavily pushed??? Developers are pushing that area so aggressively. Why?
Yup, I definately agree with you...TN is getting ruined in the longrun. Take a good look at FL, and see what people, and WHICH people ruined it here!!!! (That's all I am going to say, sine I called it out EXACTLY in previous postings on who those people are, and got lectured to no end...lol....have "foot in mouth" disease".......lol)
I love TN, and love the people there. I love the dry, straight forwardness.....lol. My husband and I came to the conclusion, to go back up to PA...because we know and remember, what we HAD, not what we are HOPING to find!
We thought, we could have made a better living in a warmer climate here in FL, but, we just learned to hate it. FL has a lot of issues to deal with, the life style is hetic, and most of the people in FL are unfriendly.I am still visiting my friends in TN, and every time I'm there, we have a blast. I was asked many time where I'm from, and I always answered truthfully. But, I do have manners, and I am extremely curtious, and can talk to those folks about hunting , fishing and horseback riding..... Maybe that's the reason, why I never, ever had a problem with people from TN???
I consider being a "guest" everywhere I go, because I AM! Maybe some people should consider a likewise train of thought????

Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 AM

43 posts, read 121,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If the characteristics you just mentioned are considered backwards, then you better leave the light on and make room for three more.
Make that SIX more!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 AM

37,745 posts, read 40,805,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Ethanol as an alternative to gasoline is the biggest scam since three card monte.

Producing corn and processing it into 1 gallon of ethanol requires 131,000 BTUs of energy; but 1 gallon of ethanol contains only 77,000 BTUs. So producing ethanol actually creates a net energy loss.

It takes approximately one bushel of corn to produce the equivalent of three gallons of gasoline, making it terribly inefficient to produce, especially when you consider that corn is not an infinite resource. To create significant amounts of energy from food crops would deplete the amount of land available for growing actual food for people to eat.
The Tennessee proposal is switchgrass not corn. I can't give you the link to the newspaper article about the Governor's proposal to the state legislature because it's a dot com. The Governor pretty much wants to fund a pilot test and more research. You can find the article on Google News by searching on the tems "ethanol initiative"

If you aren't familiar with switchgrass (I wasn't) here's a government link I am allowed to post that explains it pretty well and why it's a better bet than corn:

http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/switgrs.html (broken link)

I also believe that the President's budget, that he presented yesterday, includes this kind of research but I haven't had a chance to read it yet nor do I know whether Congress plans to support it.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:20 AM

41 posts, read 127,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC38506 View Post
Speaking as a native Tennessean, our biggest problems with outsiders that that they usually come with an attitude of "aiding the great unwashed". In other words, they see us as ignorant hicks whom they will condescend to enlighten on the ways of the big, wide world outside our fair state. They usually come in with stereotypes of the Beverly Hillbillies or Jerry Springer. They VERY often decide that our values are narrow-minded and try to change things in a way that isn't necessarily better. Those "narrow-minded", quit-whining and straighten out your own mess attitudes are what make Tennessee a great place to be. The "behave yourself or Mom'll whoop you with a switch", or even the shame heaped on someone who behaves in an unseemly manner are what keep our society livable. There are expectations here, especially for behavior. Children are taught to say, "Yes, ma'am", and "no, sir" and to hold a door open for their elders. "Sass" isn't tolerated. Yet for those things, we are often considered backward or narrow-minded. That, in a nutshell, is the problem we have with about 10-15% of those who move into our area. The other 85-90% are looked on as assets to our community whom we welcome and embrace as our own, because they see beyond the accent to a community of decent people who, due to financial hardship, may not have the advantages of formal education but who most definitely have a Ph.D. in Common Sense from the School of Hard Times.
It sounds like you are worried about liberal people moving to a conservative area?

We are very conservative people with higher levels of education and one of our pet peeves is children calling an adult by their first name. We much prefer that part of Tennessee living. When I looked at a local Tennessee elementary school's website it talked about their upcoming Christmas party and they actually used the word Christmas. It will be so nice to go to an area that doesn't make openly being Christian a crime. Our kids go to a school now in which they can sing all holiday songs if they don't mention Christ or Santa! The Christmas party is now called the The winter party. But their are whole weeks devoted to other religions and their holidays are talked about without fear.

I agree that we don't want that to change either.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,386,056 times
One of the reasons we want to come to Tennessee is that the tried-and-true outlooks on parenting, socializing, etc. are still in use there.

The whole politically correct climate in this country disgusts me. If you spank your child, he can go to school and report you--and the authorities will be on your doorstep! (I'm living proof. Twice.)

As for our Christmas, etc., we're Americans and should be free to celebrate our American culture, including the traditions (religious and otherwise) of our forefathers. WITHOUT worrying about offending someone who doesn't celebrate American culture.

It's the trend nowadays to give preference to other cultures at the expense of what I believe we should really ALL be rejoicing in: our American-ness!

After all, if folks from other countries want to revel in the lifestyle of their previous home, why did they leave?

If you don't want to life the life of an American, why would you come here?

(I imagine this post is politically incorrect enough to have a fairly short life even here on the boards...)

Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 23,636 times
Just my 2 cents. I think the reason we "northerners" want to relocate down south is that we DO cherish the lifestyle that they live. I for one respect and admire their strong conservative values. I am a proud Conservative Republican, which is getting smaller by the year up north. I am sick to death of the politically correct and ACLU shoving their liberal agenda around and no one does anything to challenge it up here. I want to go where we are welcomed for our conservativism and strong family values. I for one will stand beside my fellow patriots to defend our rights that we cherish. I am a NRA member and proud of that too. I want to be able to hunt and fish and not have to worry that some left wing tree hunger is going to come into the woods and bang pots.(THat really happened!). I just hope that the southerners DO keep up what they are doing. We have to stand together if we want to keep this country safe for our children and grandchildren. And I think that we will have to start with alittle trust that some "darn yankees" will help our brothers and sisters down south fend off any liberal agenda that comes our way and that includes telling any wise mouth northerner that if they want to live with us they have to adapt to OUR WAYS of living, not that they bring their bad habits and lifestyle down south and expect you to welcome them. I aplaude you for that sense of strong belief and hope I can make you as proud of me and my family one day when we do come down there to live . GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 15,650 times
Default Wow- I feel totally unwelcomed!!!

I just happened to read through the postings on this forum and was quite disappointed! We are native Floridians and are planning to move to Tennessee and are very excited for the change and to meet new people. I'm sorry to hear that many of you folks are tired of "transplanters". We Floridians have been through a lot and its time for some of us who have been here all of our lives to seek change! Hurricanes are not exactly fun, property taxes are extremely high and home insurance is very high and to be quite frank, the people here are very RUDE! We are choosing to relocate to an area where we can raise our children in a nice, slower-paced area. Is there a problem with that???

Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,386,056 times
Ironhead: Where are you in OC? I grew up in Montgomery...

Mommakate: I'm certain we'll all be welcome as long as we understand that WE'RE the newcomers. Just like anywhere else, people don't take kindly to folks coming in from another area and then complaining that there's not enough of something they miss from their old "life"...

Wishing for a Starbuck's or a Panera Bread (or whatever) nearby is just wishing for what we've left behind--and that comes with a hefty price tag! The good (yummy coffee, convenience) comes with the bad (traffic, progress, citification).

We should make sure we're willing to assimilate into a new lifestyle before we move to a new area; because certainly we can't expect the community to adapt to OUR ways. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee